Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
oldmanandakid

Default chrome dip vs. chrome plating

I have a neighbor who insists chrome dipping is just as good as chrome plating for my bumpers and much cheaper. I've never heard of the process. Any thoughts?
Old 11-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: chrome dip vs. chrome plating

It can't be true. It might look better than rust or aluminum spray paint, but it won't be the same or better than real chrome.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
gweilbaker

Isn't plating is to dip?
Old 11-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
oldmanandakid

While I am fishing for info can you give me rough estimate of the cost of plating a full set of bumpers?
Old 11-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
dave in australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilbaker View Post
Isn't plating is to dip?
Yes, to plate an object it has to be 'dipped' in the plating tank. But unless you apply an electric current, no plating will take place. Chrome plating involves an anode, usually lead, a cathode, the part being plated and a solution of chromic acid, sulphuric acid, water and mist suppressants. An electric current is applied, neg - cathode, pos - anode, at approx 2 amps per square inch of plating area, so a big power supply is needed.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
Kevin in NJ

Something does not sound right.

I did a quick search on chrome dipping and did not come up with anything. You would have to find out some more about what he really means. There is a process for depositing nickel on some surfaces that does not require electricity, but this is not chrome plating. Besides chrome plating for the decorative stuff (like bumpers) is really more of a clear coat over nickel.

Here are some comments I have on plating that may help:

Plating the A parts
Old 11-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
V4F

dipping is a not like electroplating . ive worked in several shops & dave is correct . anything else must be a hoax ...........
Old 11-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

There was a thread a year or two back where this new "plastic" chrome was being promoted. The link to the product even showed Jay Leno watching the process and he appeared to like it. Parts were dipped into a tank of something and came out with a shiney covering. I don't recall if the covering was baked on with heat, but to me it was like taking smooth bumper bars and having silver powdercoat put on them. It's just not the same as real chrome.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 11-24-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
miss victoria

A local powder coater offers (chrome powdercoat)does not look like chrome plating? its kinda dull.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
PetesPonies

There is ignorance here in terminologies. I believe the correct way to look at this is both parties are talking about the dame thing whether you/they realize it or not.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
28RPU

Sounds to me like your neighbor doesn't know anything about which he is speaking.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
d.j. moordigian

We've done this...looks crappie too me...."flash Chroming metal"...

* I believe this is what you are talking about *
Old 11-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #13
PetesPonies

Normal chroming involves dipping in copper, nickel and then chromium. Flash chrome is where you apply the chrome directly over a smooth substrate, many times stainless steel. It doesn't last as well for sure.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
pooch

The Jay Leno watch was sprayed on silver nitrate, same as a mirror.

It looks perfect, as good as chrome in appearance, although only a spray and don't know how long it will last in UV.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #15
MikeK

I've had plenty of dips tell me their chrome work was concours grade stuff. Ya get what you pay for. Been dipped, didn't like it.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #16
fordgarage
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesPonies View Post
Normal chroming involves dipping in copper, nickel and then chromium. Flash chrome is where you apply the chrome directly over a smooth substrate, many times stainless steel. It doesn't last as well for sure.
Nonsense.
Among many other things, I designed the chrome roof racks and running board trim solution used on the second and third generation (2001 to present) Cadillac Escalades.

In 1998-99 I changed the game by using 434C ferritic stainless substrate, with chrome plating directly over the top. This was a new solution to an ongoing problem of exterior chrome performance in an age of increased acid rain and increaingly alkaline consumer cleansers. To compound that, road commissions across the US have been going crazy with sodium chloride on paved roads in the winter, and magnesium chloride on dirt roads in the summer.

This particular chrome chemistry solution completely addressed previous issues with chrome plated steel corrosion, as well as off-color and tea staining issues of polished stainless solutions due to environmental conditions stated above.

Cadillac got the high luster and high durability chrome they wanted, and the finish quality has stood the test of time for a dozen years of production. It set the new standard in GM for all chrome finishes on large exterior trim (except for truck front bumpers).

Old 11-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #17
PetesPonies

Hey, nonsense?? BS . . something that has been done recently . . how do we know the results over time? When flash chrome is applied it is done over a substrate like you said, I said similar. The difference is in how well it lasts. We have an adhesion subject here. There is a reason for copper, then nickel, then chromium. Sure that's old technology and I'm not an expert at everything "new". But we shall see how well things done "your" way last over time. From things I have seen on newer cars, they didn't last well. Why is this different?
Old 11-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
dave in australia

Quote:
Hey, nonsense?? BS . . something that has been done recently . . how do we know the results over time? When flash chrome is applied it is done over a substrate like you said, I said similar. The difference is in how well it lasts. We have an adhesion subject here. There is a reason for copper, then nickel, then chromium. Sure that's old technology and I'm not an expert at everything "new". But we shall see how well things done "your" way last over time. From things I have seen on newer cars, they didn't last well. Why is this different?
Hard chrome plating, which is used to build up bearing surfaces in aircraft engines, landing gear and other areas on different aircraft parts, is applied directly to the substrate. The only difference between hard chrome and bright chrome, is the thickness of the plating. Bright chrome is typically a tenth of a thou at most, where as hard chrome is two thou or thicker, sometimes up to twenty thou.
The corrosion resistance comes from the thickness of the nickel underneath the chrome. Copper is rarely used these days, as it has to be plated from a cyanide solution, and EPA regs on pollution control make it very expensive to do. There is a nickel chloride strike which gets used before the bright nickel is applied, replacing the copper cyanide.
Why the flash chrome over stainless steel works is because stainless in it self contains chrome and is also highly corrosion resistant. Using a flash of chrome over normal steel will provide no corrosion resistance what so ever.
My first trade in the Royal Australian Air Force was as an electroplater, so I do have some inside knowledge on this subject.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #19
PetesPonies

We are way off subject here. Hard chroming on engine parts is totally different IMO. The expectations and how the parts are used are totally different. Chroming on engine parts, been around forever. But it's a different baby.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
dave in australia

Quote:
We are way off subject here. Hard chroming on engine parts is totally different IMO. The expectations and how the parts are used are totally different. Chroming on engine parts, been around forever. But it's a different baby.
You mentioned adhesion, I was just pointing out adhesion is not the problem as hard chrome and decorative chrome are essentially the same and there is no adhesion problem when plating chrome, either hard or decorative, directly on to the substrate.
Closed Thread