Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2020, 09:42 PM   #1
Deuce Man

Default 1929 roadster seat frame

I would love to have a touch more leg room in my 29 roadster. Is it a big project to move the seat frame and riser back a couple of inches? I see machine screws around the base of the seat frame, is that all that is holding it in place, or is it spot welded also? I am sure that thus has been done before I just want to do it as simply and non invasively as possible. Thanks Rich
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:18 AM   #2
hop up

Default Re: 1929 roadster seat frame

Deuce man , I made more room in my 29 roadster by cutting 2 inches or so out of the seat riser. I also removed the back shelf tray. I am using original seatsprings and covers with no modifications. That gave me more room then my 32 roadster
Old 12-30-2020, 11:46 AM   #3
Deuce Man

Ii need the riser to support the backrest there is no shelf behind the backrest If I could just move the whole assembly back it would straighten up the backrest and move the bottom cushion back to where I want it. I just dont want to butcher up the original parts that have been there for almost 92 years they are very nice. I am hoping for a modification that looks like the factory did it. Certainly someone must have done this on their roadster that can give me some pointers. Thanks Rich
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:20 PM   #4
rotorwrench

The riser is part of the floor and the seat structure. The way those items are tied into the B-pillar support structure does complicate things. Each item in contact with those structures will also be affected.

I would suggest a custom fabricated seat. The spring boxes are tall on the bottom and thick on the back. A custom made back frame utilizing zig-zag springs would reduce the thickness by a lot when several inches makes a big difference. The bottom can be formed with foam only if a person wants to reduce the vertical profile.

With the roadster & phaeton open cars having the lowest belt rail height, seating for big and tall folks has always been a bit problematic compared to the coupes & cabriolets which have the high belt line.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:08 PM   #5
hop up

I am using the top seatriser and just lowered the bottom seat riser and misspoke on the package tray. I replaced the wood backseat for the seat top with a rollbar thats moved back. I too have a very old original or type seat covers but doors and panels were just panel board
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 12-30-2020, 01:13 PM   #6
hop up

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Seat top removed from the riser and rollbar for safety seatbelts side collision and new gastank. The original gas-tank can be used but this was going to be for my daughter .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.0 KB, 29 views)