Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
gkgeiger

Default Broke Down

Taking the wife to breakfast and it shut off. No spark, had to call for a tow.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
D. Jones

Default Re: Broke Down

Man that's not fun, and it sure spoils breakfast.

I've had similar problems when condensers failed and stopped me cold while driving, so I carry extras and enough tools to change one when it happens.

Hope the problem isn't serious.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
funrunr

Not a good thing about that, except at least you got it home safely. My car broke down the first four test rides I had in it. I still carry a tow strap, just to get it off the road at least.
Be Safe!
Mark
Old 09-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
gkgeiger

Not what I wanted to see this morning. Is there a way I can test the coil and condenser?

Old 09-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
tiger.1000

Dave Renner at Renner's corner sells good and inexpensive test equipment to diagnose coil and condenser issues. Good value here in the UK and even better in the USA
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Ross F-1

Wouldn't Bubba be the obvious choice for ignition?
Old 09-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Mike in AZ

first check to see if you have juice to the coil??....it crank, but no start??,....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
gkgeiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
first check to see if you have juice to the coil??....it crank, but no start??,....Mike
Correct Mike, crank but no start. It shut off as I shifted into 3rd gear about 8 miles from home. I tested it for 35 miles yesterday and it ran fine. I read somewhere on here to use a test light on both sides of the coil. It lights on the ignition side but not the distributor side when cranking.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
gkgeiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Think about sending those parts, maybe the complete distributor, to Skip Haney in Punta Gorda, FL. He could test the coil and condenser. If coil checks bad he can rewind with modern insulated components. There could also be something else internally wrong in the distributor that he could straighten out for you. Just a thought or two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
Wouldn't Bubba be the obvious choice for ignition?
We have an Auto Electric shop here in town that has been in business since the 40's. Before I started the car I took the dizzy there and they put new points in it and checked out said it was good.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

It sounds like you have a tube type coil ,One of the best things you can have in your kit is is a 6ft piece of wire with a Alligator clip on both ends ,clip one to the hot side of battery (if its pos earth then on the Neg side )then the other to coil (incoming side ) if its starts then the problem is on the dash side such as the key etc .If non then move the wire to coil out to distributor .Still nothing .? Hook up a condenser between your jump wire case and earth ,then the tail of condenser to the out/ Dist side on the coil,Still nothing .Change coil or Remove distributor check for broken points spring ? PM me for the rest .

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
gkgeiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
It sounds like you have a tube type coil ,One of the best things you can have in your kit is is a 6ft piece of wire with a Alligator clip on both ends ,clip one to the hot side of battery (if its pos earth then on the Neg side )then the other to coil (incoming side ) if its starts then the problem is on the dash side such as the key etc .If non then move the wire to coil out to distributor .Still nothing .? Hook up a condenser between your jump wire case and earth ,then the tail of condenser to the out/ Dist side on the coil,Still nothing .Change coil or Remove distributor check for broken points spring ? PM me for the rest .
Thanks for the reply but as I said in my post #9 I have juice to the + side of coil (ign.) but nothing from dist to the - side of coil (dist.).
Old 09-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #12
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Fit a modern coil with an adaptor kit.
Or get your original coil rebuilt by Skip Haney.
Or both.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
gkgeiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoopNZ View Post
Fit a modern coil with an adaptor kit.
Or get your original coil rebuilt by Skip Haney.
Or both.
I have a modern (tube style) coil but what's this adapter kit? My car has a 59AB engine & crab style dist.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
OLD...BILL

A short time ago there was a tread about making up a fresh condenser with test leads for quick hook up on the side of the road, just to get me home, this would be a home made way to test your condenser ?? Not sure how or if ever on the diven bell helmet dist. but could hook up on the crab dist. just saying ,,
PS; sorry about your hubcaps ........OLD......BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #15
FlatheadTed

If you have juice coming in ?? You must have tested the out put side ?? if not with coil wire removed ,attach the test wire to out. scratch that on ground to see if you get a reaction .If non then get a fresh coil .The crab doesn't need a adapter ,To attach a condenser I describe in my previous post,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 09-01-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #16
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
I have a modern (tube style) coil but what's this adapter kit? My car has a 59AB engine & crab style dist.
Well that's good to know. I thought you had the original engine, distributor and coil. Forget what I said in my earlier post or I can just delete that.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #17
OLD...BILL

Did the Auto Elect Shop, test your dist CAP with your Rotor, and your Coil ?? if not, give that a try, ...and Please let us know what you find ?? it will help us with the next break down.....thanks .......OLD.....BILL
Old 09-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #18
FlatheadTed

Coils rarely fail suddenly even a condenser most times give some warning ,even a Rotor will often run, but rough .I would say its likely a failure on the Distributor side of the circuit like points closed up ,broken points spring ,faulty terminal contact spring thingy ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 09-01-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #19
Terry,OH

You can use the test light on the power side of the coil but not the distributor side. Switch to a voltmeter on the distributor side. Look for between 2. to 3. V (if zero all the time the coil may be open circuit(check with ohmmeter), or the condenser is shorted to ground) when the distributor points are open and Zero V (if voltage does not drop to 0 then points are dirty and not closing properly or the distributor is not grounded properly) when they are closed. Remove the high tension plug wire from the coil so the engine does not start and hand turn the engine over slowly.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #20
gkgeiger

The coil was bad. She's back on the road.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #21
V8COOPMAN

Updates are good. So, is Momma's appetite for cackleberries & grits back on for next Sunday? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #22
CaliforniaBorn36

Great thread. Could one of the experienced Forum members outline the procedure on the 6 ft. jumper wire idea?
1. Using a 6 ft wire with alligator clips, where does it get hooked up?
2. What issues can one run into, is this good for a short 10 mile run back to the
garage or longer if you are out somewhere without access to replacement parts?
3. Is the Condenser with alligator clips just another option or is that the temp fix for
a different issue? Is this using the Napa IH200 Condensor? Again, what would be
the hook up?

If it makes a difference, I have a 36 with the tube type coil conversion, otherwise stock mechanicals setup, ( 6V Pos ground, with battery under floor)

Sorry if these seem like elementary items, but I am returning to the flathead world after a 35 year absence and I want to start building up my confidence to make longer trecks from home. Car broke down twice right after buying and one of those times, it sounds like the jumper wire would have gotten me home instead of arriving home on the back of a tow truck.

Thanks
CaliforniaBorn36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #23
gkgeiger

My thoughts are that the 6' jumper wire will only help if you aren't getting juice to the coil, which I was. With a bad coil the only thing you could do would be replace it. As far as the condenser with a jumper wire that would help if the condenser was bad and causing the problem. I will be carrying spares with me.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #24
OLD...BILL

Yes a temporary (fix) or a patch, but will it get you home, yes if done right. the 6 ft. jumper wire, is just that. You clip on the hot side of the coil, hot side would be the wire coming from the ignition switch. The other end of the jumper wire clips on the hot side of the solenoid, that would be the side with battery cable on it, ( should have other wires there also ) the other side of the solenoid, goes to the starter... you will be bypassing the ignition switch, the resister, the wire from the ign.sw. to the resister, the wire to the coil,... they all or one part can be part of a let down, sooner or later .... The jumper will not fix a bad coil, however full 6 volt may wake it up. for short time ?? IF I were to make up the jumper wire, I would fix a new resister on one end with the alligator clip made up ready to go on the coil. I would take a close look at how long a wire do I need, a full 6 foot seams a bit to long, I would run it along side the intake back to the fire wall, to the solenoid, and make it just long enough, ie No extra wire under there after I close the hood and get under way....
I'll try the condenser later... "" it goes between the coil and ground on the dist. side of the coil"" ,.???.....OLD....BILL

Last edited by OLD...BILL; 09-03-2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: spelling fix