Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #41
PetesPonies

Default Re: chrome dip vs. chrome plating

We were asked about plastic pieces, vacuum chrome finishes like are used on dash bezels etc. This is a new process that would work the same on those types of plastic pieces. I was answering someone else here . . again, stay out of it if not directed at you. I can't be more direct.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #42
fordgarage
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesPonies View Post
We were asked about plastic pieces, vacuum chrome finishes like are used on dash bezels etc. This is a new process that would work the same on those types of plastic pieces. I was answering someone else here . . again, stay out of it if not directed at you. I can't be more direct.
Who are you asking "to stay out of it?" Me?

"I was answering someone else here" Like who?

How would anyone know who your comments are directed to (not at), since you don't say.

You don't quote anything/any one in your posts, or make any proper pronoun references, so it is not clear who are you are referring to.

BTW, What new process?

What is a "new process that works the same"?

Geez what a case.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #43
fordgarage
BANNED

Has anyone tried woodgraining their bumpers using one of the hydrographic printing immersion film transfer processes?

I am getting tired of chrome appearance bumpers and want a new look.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #44
PetesPonies

To anyone else interested here, I'd be glad to discuss anything having to do with this thread. I'm always interested in learning and teaching. I will not acknowledge a certain member here, but anyone else I'd be happy to discuss with.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #45
Terry Longest

Quote:
To anyone else interested here, I'd be glad to discuss anything having to do with this thread. I'm always interested in learning and teaching. I will not acknowledge a certain member here, but anyone else I'd be happy to discuss with.
I think your comments have been in direct opposition to what you say above - "I'm interested in learning..." This forum may get testy, but usually interesting, when egos get involved!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #46
Craig Lewis

Quote:
I hope this doesn't get me added to your "certain member list" Pete, but it's seems to me there wasn't much left to discuss after Vince provided us with the info that his "no copper" chrome plated racks have withstood 12 yrs in the weather atop the roof of an Escalade of all things.
If you think about it, ALL chrome eventually succumbs to a combination of the elements, neglect & abuse.
When cars had chrome I used to spend hours on my knees polishing bumpers and wheels and they pretty much all had stains & pits & peeling issues to at least some degree if the car was 5 or 6 years old.
For Vince to get through the rigorous testing of such a large (albeit corrupt) company like GM and rectify their chrome troubles....and now proven 12yrs....I'd say they have the answer at least for that specific application.
I've done some simple home plating with nickle & copycad and can appreciate the enormous amount of time and learning involved, heck it's WAY harder to plate than learning to spray paint.
When my Model A bumpers go to the plater I'll want it done right, but I'll certainly look at new ideas for consideration.
At the end of the day, without keeping the chrome clean and polished and oiled at every bolt hole I wouldn't expect it to look perfect after even a year. The chrome we're familiar with is just metal and is subject to the same corrosive attacks as any other metal if not cared for.
If I can add one generalization, I don't see your average coked out Escalade driver/leaser as someone who lovingly cares for a roof rack.

Last edited by Craig Lewis; 11-25-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #47
PetesPonies

Craig, are you serious? One example makes it right? Just as one example doesn't make it wrong either. We have to consider hundreds, thousands etc. Over the years, which has lasted longer in an exposed environment?
Also, I haven't seen anyone respond to the anodic properties of the materials used. It's a very important part of plating and why certain materials are used in plating. Eliminating this area is problematic. Explain to me why it isn't?
Old 11-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #48
28RPU

This is a thread looking for a closure icon....
Old 11-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #49
PetesPonies

That's a possibility, but why wouldn't you want to see the concerns addressed? Do you understand how and why plating is done? What anodic properties are why they are significant? If you have no interest, you don't have to visit the thread. Isn't that how threads work? Personally I would like the person who has been in the plating business to address these items. I don't know what you are expecting . .
Old 11-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #50
Dave in Boise

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
Has anyone tried woodgraining their bumpers using one of the hydrographic printing immersion film transfer processes?

LOL.. I can picture it now.. *everything* hydrodipped in wood grain, on a woody wagon.. It'd be quite a sight

- Dave in Boise
Old 11-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #51
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post

I was thinking of using a pressure treated 2X4. That would have the natural wood grain tossed in with all the little indentations. Cool!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #52
dave in australia

Quote:
That's a possibility, but why wouldn't you want to see the concerns addressed? Do you understand how and why plating is done? What anodic properties are why they are significant? If you have no interest, you don't have to visit the thread. Isn't that how threads work? Personally I would like the person who has been in the plating business to address these items. I don't know what you are expecting . .
The anodic properties are not an issue as chrome is almost passive after plating. A metal that is anodic, will protect the substrate from corrosion by corroding in preference. This is the way cadmium and zinc protect the substrate they are plated on, and if scratched, wil still protect the substrate to a certain degree. Corrosion protection from chrome actually comes from the nickel underneath, which does not protect anodicly, but anaerobic, it blocks the atmosphere. This is why as soon as there is a scratch, the substrate will corrode. Also, if chrome is plated directly, as in hard chrome, think motorcycle forks, shock pistons etc, then the substrate will corrode due to micro cracks is the chrome deposition. These micro cracks are good for a moving part as they will hold oil, but remove the oil, or not perform regular cleaning, then corrosion will start. Modern plating is different from plating performed in the Model A era, there are a lot of additives to solutions, which make the nickel brighter, self level etc, which save a lot in labour and associated costs, but are detrimental in other areas. Bright nickel, which is used under chrome nowadays, contains oxides to perform these brightening functions, but also makes them prone to quick oxidation if not chrome plated over the top. Chrome protects the chrome by corroding on the outer layer, forming a chrome oxide layer. This will slow down any other oxidation, but not stop it. This is protects the same as anodized aluminium. Why it doesn't last long nowadays, is because it is thinner plated layer, due to costs etc.
If you need further information, read a book called 'electroplating, surface finishing fundamentals' by Frederick Lowenheim or the 'cannings electroplating handbook'
Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #53
PetesPonies

Dave, I realize that chrome is passive. Its the steel beneath that isn't. Therefore nickel is there to protect the steel, and also give the deep shine that we expect from "chromed" items. How can a hard chroming process over standard carbon steels be considered acceptable when used in an environment that will eventually go through the chromium? Not to mention the fact that it will not be as shiny as people would expect. Its considered, hard chroming, industrial chroming for a reason. It's thick, but not beautiful. What am I missing here Dave? Has the process changed such that beauty and protection can be achieved with a process that was/is considered industrial ?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #54
fordgarage
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28RPU View Post
This is a thread looking for a closure icon....
Yep.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:59 AM   #55
dave in australia

Quote:
Dave, I realize that chrome is passive. Its the steel beneath that isn't. Therefore nickel is there to protect the steel, and also give the deep shine that we expect from "chromed" items. How can a hard chroming process over standard carbon steels be considered acceptable when used in an environment that will eventually go through the chromium? Not to mention the fact that it will not be as shiny as people would expect. Its considered, hard chroming, industrial chroming for a reason. It's thick, but not beautiful. What am I missing here Dave? Has the process changed such that beauty and protection can be achieved with a process that was/is considered industrial ?
I really can't be bothered with this anymore. If you know so much, why don't you teach all of electroplaters what we're doing wrong.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #56
5window

Quote:
Hey garage . . bite me. I don't need your criticism, not wanted at all.
Nice. Nothing establishes your credibility more than a well turned, intelligent phrase. For the OP, Paul's Librandi's and Advanced have good reps here on the right side of the country-calling them will give you a good estimate of costs. Over on the HAMB, there are quite a few discussions about platers in mexico, but the quality seems to vary

FWIW, I don't have a show car and bought polished SS bumpers from Mac's. I figured I would rue the day I bought chrome the first time I saw a spot of rust or a scratch. 8 years and the SS ones still look new. A '30/'31 complete front bumper from Mac's is $295 chrome and $347 stainless. I doubt you could rechrome your bumpers for anywhere near that, but a good chrome shop might give you a better job.

Last edited by 5window; 11-29-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #57
PetesPonies

See guys, here is what you don't know about and why you should keep your opinions to yourself. Your "favorite poster" has been harassing me for a while now. It has been done with disrespectful private messages. I turned them over to the moderators. So when I make a comment to him that you don't "approve" of, you have no idea what has been going on. Its as simple as that. I have not wanted to mention any of this, have said nothing until now. But you guys seem you have the need to hit me for the stuff I have posted. I am a professional in the automotive business. I have been for over 30 years. I do not need the criticism that I have gotten from this "person". All I ask of you guys here is to stay on topic and lets talk cars. Don't make any comments directed at a person. Are we all in school still?

Dave I have no idea why you have decided to act this way. I've only asked questions and have been respectful to you . . . .

Last edited by PetesPonies; 12-03-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #58
fordgarage
BANNED

Pot, meet kettle.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #59
Ryan
Administrator

I think it's time to start banning some folks. The drama is getting tired.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:55 PM   #60
Cob
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I think it's time to start banning some folks. The drama is getting tired.

Total Agreement.
Closed Thread