Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
allison-tech

Default plating

Does anyone have any experience using CASWELL's nickel/chrome plating kits?
allison-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: plating

Try doing a search here and on the EV8 forum, I know it's been discussed in the past.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
allison-tech

Thanks Paul, I should have done that 1st.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
road_king

curious too, I emailed them today about their copy-cad kit. I would like to do some carbs.
road_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
Craig Lewis

I've used Caswell's copycad & the nickel kit.
It consumed quite a bit of time and some carefull study before I got any consistant results but if you have the patience I'd say go for it on both these kits.
I won't be trying chrome. It seems to me the process produces deadly fumes so your setup is more involved & costs are higher.
So if you have a fair bit of patience and want the convenience of plating a 5 or 6 items here & there as time allows.... this might be your thing.
I must admit it was kinda fun...like doing a science experiment!
On the other hand, if you can have everything ready in 1 or 2 batches and you value your time any higher than say about $8/hr .....I'd say send it out to a reputable shop.
In the long run it'll probably be cheaper.
By the way, Don Turley was selling some super nice plated items over in the swap section of this forum last time I looked...worth checking out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S7300226.jpg (68.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg S7300229.jpg (74.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg S7300232.jpg (72.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg S7301865.jpg (77.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg S7301875.jpg (75.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg S7301897.jpg (71.2 KB, 89 views)
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

There is a high end restoration shop a few miles from here that does concours type stuff. They use their kits for small and small quanity parts. They told me on a tour of the facility that it took some time to get it right by recording temps of the metal and temps of the soultions and temp of the air. They have a book they developed over time so they plug in the numbers and see the volatge and duration needed.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
road_king

Thanks for sharing first hand experience. Did you buy the rectifier from them and what amperage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Lewis View Post
I've used Caswell's copycad & the nickel kit.
It consumed quite a bit of time and some carefull study before I got any consistant results but if you have the patience I'd say go for it on both these kits.
I won't be trying chrome. It seems to me the process produces deadly fumes so your setup is more involved & costs are higher.
So if you have a fair bit of patience and want the convenience of plating a 5 or 6 items here & there as time allows.... this might be your thing.
I must admit it was kinda fun...like doing a science experiment!
On the other hand, if you can have everything ready in 1 or 2 batches and you value your time any higher than say about $8/hr .....I'd say send it out to a reputable shop.
In the long run it'll probably be cheaper.
By the way, Don Turley was selling some super nice plated items over in the swap section of this forum last time I looked...worth checking out.
road_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
d.j. moordigian

Craig,
I think you have the touch, looks real nice!
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
Craig Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_king View Post
Thanks for sharing first hand experience. Did you buy the rectifier from them and what amperage?
I tried several power supplies from plug-in wall adapters to batteries. In the end my best results have been from an old battery charger with a reostat to control the amperage.
After burning up a couple wire-wound reostats(they're hard to find) ....I finally just stretched out a coil spring and wired it in series with the whole mess. I move the aligator clip up and down the spring till the battery charger reads my correct amperage. The spring still gets hot...just like the reostat...but so far it seems like the answer.
Idealy you want to find a variarc as the ultimate power supply...but I haven't got that lucky yet.

One last thing ... you'll also need to setup a copper tank if you do nickel. Copper is your filler and primer.
Copper plating requires a seperate list of materials, all which I purchased seperately.
The Caswell big yellow manual includes basic copper instructions. You definately need that manual and one should keep some notes regarding time & amperage in order to get consistant results.
I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S7301907.jpg (77.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg S7301880.jpg (61.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg S7301886.jpg (72.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg S7301912.jpg (65.1 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Craig Lewis; 03-09-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
1930artdeco

Craig,

Is that wire in the second picture glowing? This looks interesting, are the parts fairly readily available?

Mike
Old 03-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
Craig Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
Craig,

Is that wire in the second picture glowing? This looks interesting, are the parts fairly readily available?

Mike
Yes.
Yes.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #12
allison-tech

Craig, thanks for the good info., I've been reading previous threads and can tell you've been at this for awhile. Have you tried the small electro-plating system, the one w/the brush that you have to keep dipping in solution? I also need to have the rad. shell & rear bumpers plated, I was planning on taking these parts to a commercial shop. Can anyone give me a "ballpark" est. on cost? I was going to have the rad. shell nickel plated, and the bumpers chrome plated. Would it be cheaper to just buy these parts new?
Old 03-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #13
Craig Lewis

I haven't tried the brush plating but that would be handy for nickel plating of the w/shield slider arm studs.

Really I haven't as much experiance as you might think with plating and what you see are all parts of my coupe which I'm learning on. Some of the pieces you see have been stripped and replated 4 or 5 times before I got it to the colour/finish that looked right.
I probably had a week of experiance total, setting up and plating a few parts.
I must say the replating experiance gave me an abundantly clear understanding of why good plating costs what it does
Old 03-10-2012, 01:59 AM   #14
dave in australia

Brush plating is not that good for nickel. The nickel will pasivate quickly and then as you build up the layer, it will flake off. Brush plating is excellent for cad though, I spent many long hours brush plating cad on F-111 airframes when in the RAAF. One thing to be careful of is wearing a hole in the absorbant sock that covers the anode, this is the bit that holds the solution. If a hole develops, you will arc a hole into your work piece. On D6A-C steel that F-111 airframes were made of, this was something to make sure that you did not do.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:11 AM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison-tech View Post
Would it be cheaper to just buy these parts new?
Yes, they would be cheaper in cost and quality if bought new.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison-tech View Post
Craig, thanks for the good info., I've been reading previous threads and can tell you've been at this for awhile. Have you tried the small electro-plating system, the one w/the brush that you have to keep dipping in solution? I also need to have the rad. shell & rear bumpers plated, I was planning on taking these parts to a commercial shop. Can anyone give me a "ballpark" est. on cost? I was going to have the rad. shell nickel plated, and the bumpers chrome plated. Would it be cheaper to just buy these parts new?
Give Bert's in Denver a call. They had replated original parts for sale the last I knew. 800-321-1931
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #17
allison-tech

Thanks Tom, I'll do that.