Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2021, 01:40 PM   #21
flathead 53

Default Re: S-10 in my 1953 f-100

Thanks , so I am better off changing the gear set in the transmission to A 2.82 first , now it all makes sense, I will go that route.
flathead 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:40 PM   #22
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Good explanation coopman, I am a big close ratio fan for a lot of reasons. And with the T5 overdrive gears it works out even better! Also keep in mind when doing highway calculations on gearing that the rear tires play a big factor.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:43 PM   #23
flathead 53

Also , the power steering conversion is working out well . That was worth the effort.
flathead 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:10 PM   #24
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead 53 View Post
Thanks , so I am better off changing the gear set in the transmission to A 2.82 first , now it all makes sense, I will go that route.
Well....ALMOST! That "2.82" was an example as used in many of the earlier Ford 3-speed transmissions. But as an example, it is also very close (numerically) to the 2.95 1st gear in the T5 "close-ratio" gear set.

NOTE that I keep saying "gear SET"! You can't just change the 1st gear. You must change the ENTIRE SET of gears inside the transmission....as a complete SET! Or easier still, just find a NWC V8 Camaro transmission that is in decent shape (or rebuild kit), and swap YOUR S-10 tail shaft with the Camaro tail shaft (bolt-in swap), and use your S-10 TAIL Shaft HOUSING and shifter lid (it's ALL a "bolt-together" deal)! It's not totally necessary to swap MAIN Shafts (tail shafts), but by using the S-10 main shaft, the speedometer gear lines-up with the S-10 speedo gear hole in the S-10 housing. It's a really simple swap, either way. The only thing that you will need to change is the clutch DISC, as the close-ratio gear set has the stronger 26-spline input shaft. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:30 PM   #25
Ol' Ron

The early S-10 T-5 is not very strong. yes the low first gear might help a truck, BUT???? After 85/6?? they got allot stronger. Not I never thought that this forum was just for restorations. Replacing some of the components'. (within reason) to improve the safty and keeping thes old cars on the road, was the primary reason.
Grasps.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 02:19 AM   #26
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
The early S-10 T-5 is not very strong. yes the low first gear might help a truck, BUT???? After 85/6?? they got allot stronger.
SOME of those ''old wives' tales" are NOT necessarily AS true as SOME of those self-proclaimed x-perts made it sound like. If I'm not wrong, you are likely talking about the differences in "strength" between the WORLD CLASS (WC) and the earlier NON-WORLD CLASS (NWC) T5 transmissions. It's because of these types of old tales that get passed-around that the T5 is so generally mis-understood.

Right off the bat...........the Borg-Warner (now Tremec) T5 transmissions never have been what you would call a 'STRONG', or "bad-assed" transmission like we used to think of the old 4-speed Muncies. I've 'hammered' on quite a few different Muncie transmissions since the latter '60s, and I have NEVER broken one, although some luck must have been involved there-in. With that in mind, I would never 'hammer' on a T5 (today) like I did the Muncies, 'cuz a T5 just ain't built for that abuse, plus NOW....I know better. On the other hand, the "RIGHT" T5 ain't no slouch, either. A good buddy of mine ordered a new '83 Camaro with a 305 V8 (the best you could get in a Camaro in '83) with a 'close-ratio' T5....the first year a T5 was available in a Camaro. When that thing showed-up on the truck, the first thing we did was take that thing out here in the rice paddies east of Lake Houston and 'tried it out'! What a sweet-shiftin' trans, and with a 3.73 rear, it was just a sweet combination, especially with the O/D.

The point of all this is that it was still the early NWC T5 design, and we never broke it. In fact, a friend of his (non-car guy) still owns that car today (looks like Hell) and with WAAAY over 200K miles, still runs and drives....with it's original T5 still truckin'. The "right" trans, in my book, is the 'close-ratio' version. Whether or not it's a WC, or a NWC version, it makes no difference to me.

For some of the skeptics out there, there are only two main differences between WC and NWC T5s. Those differences are bearing TYPES, and the friction surfaces in the synchronizers. The gears aren't any stronger in a WC trans. And the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears do oil themselves differently between the two types, but that is because of SOME of the bearing differences.

Something that is misunderstood about ANY two similar transmissions, such as an "S-10" T5 with a 3.50 or even the 4.03 1st gear ratio....AND comparing it's TORQUE-handling capabilities with an almost identical 'close-ratio' T5 with the 2.95 1st gear ratio.....the S-10 with the huge (numerical) "torque-multiplying" 1st gear ratio is gonna self-destruct every time, considering EQUAL torque inputs. It is that torque-multiplication capability in 1st gear that literally has the gears trying to push their rotating centers APART from each other, with only the aluminum CASE itself holding the spinning gears together in mesh. In the case of the T5, ALL main cases are the same, identical case, whether for an S-10, or a V8 Camaro. The weakest part of a T5 main case is the small web of aluminum on the front face between the input shaft bearing hole and the cluster gear FRONT bearing hole. Those two shafts are always 'pushing' apart from one another when torque is applied by the engine. The interface between the engaged 1st GEAR and the CLUSTER gear is attempting to do the same thing toward the REAR of the MAIN case. The TORQUE-multiplication capability of the higher numerical 3.50 or 4.03 is trying to self-destruct the S-10 trans far more so than the Camaro.....considering EQUAL torque inputs. The fact that the V8 is likely able to put-out MORE torque than the V6 or 4-banger is a whole different set of parameters, not really having anything to do with overall TORQUE-handling capabilities of the two different gear sets. This is just one more really good reason to consider the 'close-ratio' gear set for any T5. And for just ONE more little trick, if that .63 O/D ratio afforded in the 'close-ratio' set is just too steep, like if you have a really big "rumpety-rump" camshaft that doesn't like to be 'lugged' at too low of an RPM with that .63, there is a 5th gear that is still available for a Ford T5 which ends-up yielding a .80 5th gear ratio. The only problem with that is that Chevy gear sets have 27-splines on the MAIN shaft (where that 5th gear rides), whereas Ford shafts use a 28-spline MAIN shaft. You'll have to substitute an early NWC Mustang MAIN shaft with the 28-splines to utilize that little goodie. Now THAT, folks, is a T5 for the street! And this all is yet another great feature about T5s....there is so much 'commonality' built-in that swapping parts around is almost a breeze. When treated right, they are a great, medium-duty transmission if you build one utilizing the right parts to custom-fit your situation. And MOST parts are still widely available on the interweb, and on eBay. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 05-28-2021, 07:06 AM   #27
Ol' Ron

I stand corrected, I have an 87 from a Mustang in the roadster, but haven't driven it yet. My favorite box is the F-150 3 sp 3ith OD. That's in my truck.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:45 AM   #28
outlaw

V8COOPMAN, thank you for the great explaination! I have a couple T5's here to set up & this gives me more insite to work with. Bill
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:08 AM   #29
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
V8COOPMAN, thank you for the great explaination! I have a couple T5's here to set up & this gives me more insite to work with. Bill
Good to hear, and I don't mind sharing free info and gossip about these T5s. Unfortunately, the supply of T5s is already beginning to become an issue for some. Click on that HIGHLIGHTED " T5 W/TORQUE TUBE " at lower left of this post for some more T5 escapades. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 05-28-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:19 PM   #30
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I have a LOT of experience with the Mustang T5s working with my grandson! He should work for Ford testing part reliability!! I sware that kid can break anything, but the T5s have held up fairly well under his abuse. The biggest issue I have run into is bent shifter plates. The OEM T5w do not have stops on the shifter and if you keep slamming the shifts too hard it bends the plates. A gear shifter with stops cures that issue. The other issue we have had is the clutch cables stretching. Even the Ford Motor Sports one are an issue (again I'm sure it is related to the way it is driven). Anyway, an OEM cable out performs just about any after market cable. This shouldn't be an issue on the early Ford installs because the cable is not used. There are some other weak spots (I have learned most of them the hard way), but if you really want to pound them, there are after market solutions. The Ford 5.0 we were running where in the 400hp range. A flathead is normally in the 150 to 200hp range, so torque should not be an issue. If you abuse the shifter, that can be a problem at any hp range.
Old 08-21-2021, 07:04 AM   #31
Shortbed12

I want to install a T5 in my 1940 pickup
Still looking for one if you have any info where to buy one
Looked on EBay thanks
Shortbed12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:06 PM   #32
JSeery
Member Emeritus

They are getting harder to find. If money is not a big issue the new ones are the way to go IMO. Not sure if Ford Motor Sport is still selling them. If they are you can sometimes get a discount and free shipping to the dealer. But, they are the Ford bolt pattern and rear located shifter.
Old 08-21-2021, 08:07 PM   #33
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortbed12 View Post
I want to install a T5 in my 1940 pickup
Still looking for one if you have any info where to buy one
Looked on EBay thanks

"Shortbed" .....This vendor on eBay (click the link BELOW) custom-builds these T5 transmissions to your spec. BE SURE to scroll-down in his ad (the link) and read carefully everything it says in the BIG PRINT.

You haven't said anything about what type of T5 transmission that you want, nor anything to do with what type of gearing you want a T5 to come with.....GO back and re-read posts #20 & 26 above about YOU GOTTA KNOW what type of gearing you WANT in your T5, or you just might end-up HATING your new T5.

So, try to note something about your vehicle's build, and something about how you expect to use the truck. Your selection of gearing can either MAKE it a dream, or BREAK the deal and make you hate your truck. LINK BELOW, or ITEM # 324697027304 ! DD

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32469702730...zdb0025g600004

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 08-21-2021, 08:54 PM   #34
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Fairly good pricing.