Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2021, 10:48 AM   #1
russcc

Default HVLP primer gun suggestions & experience

Looking for suggestions and shared experience on a HVLP primer gun. SEM Tech recommends a 1.6 to 1.7 tip primer gun for spraying their Rust Shield product. This is likely a one shot deal for painting a frame only. I see a Neiko #31215A 1.7 tip HVLP gun w/air regulator for $40. on Amazon. Anyone used one of these. I have no intention of painting a car, only the frame. Thank you.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:00 PM   #2
Russ/40

Default Re: HVLP primer gun suggestions & experience

I have no experience with that gun, but the requirements for spraying that kind of material is minimal. The Harbor Freight cheapo guns run about the same, but are not available in that ventouri size. I would go with your choice without reservation at that price. Depends on the finish you want, and the flow properties of the paint. I HAVE sprayed a lot of primers, epoxy and polyester, and never found any need for that size tip. I use a 1.4 all the time.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:11 PM   #3
David J

Agree on the 1.4 tip .
I have 2 SATA-JET HVLP guns , one is 1.3 and one is 1.4 .
The 1.4 gets used the most .

Never used a 1.7 tip but that seems huge .
Is the paint real thick ?
Maybe add a little DT870 [ if compatible of course ] to thin it down ???
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:29 PM   #4
TomT/Williamsburg

The cheap Harbir Freight gun at about $16 is a great gun - check out the YouTube’s on it ..... it’s very nearly as good as the much more expensive ones. It just cannot be used like a pant shop would use it. For the hobbies it’s great ...

Last edited by TomT/Williamsburg; 03-04-2021 at 11:30 PM.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:42 PM   #5
rich b

Just read somewhere, maybe the hamb, where a guy said he drilled out the tip on a HF purple gun and it worked great for some kinda thick frame coating.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:40 PM   #6
Tinker

Last epoxy sealer I sprayed was with a harbor freight purple throwaway gun. 1.8 tip. Standing in line a guy behind me gave a a coupon for the spray gun, so I grabbed two. I don't think I paid more then 20$ for the two. Laid down fine. It's a sealer, a few layers of high build primer, sanding, and top coat.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:48 AM   #7
russcc

Thank you all for the responses. Since Dave the tech wizard at SEM recommended that size tip for their Rust Shield product that uses an optional catalyst I will stick with that. It is a fairly thick enamel,which seems to thicken with the catalyst. You can cut up to 10% with xylene, but I would prefer to spray in full strength. I looked at the HF products, the $16.00 gun which has 1.4 tip, and the set of 2 of guns, 1 for primer, and one for paint. The primer gun has a 1.7 tip, paint gun is a 1.4 tip.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:07 AM   #8
russcc

As a follow up to my earlier post. I just saw a video comparing 3 HVLP guns, the inexpensive HF gun with a 1.4 tip, the "professional" HF gun with a 1.4 tip, and the NEIKO with a 1.7 tip. 2 points; the HF professional was considered better quality both in mfg & function. The Neiko rated 2nd. The painter stated he used the expensive HF 1.4 HF gun for primers & sealers, and it would plug up in about 5 minutes use requiring disassembly. When he switched to the 1.7 NEIKO, he had no problems. You want to look up the U-Tube comparison between the NEIKO and HF guns.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:38 AM   #9
rich b

Another option; Northern Tool has a "green" gun that looks like the HF "purple" gun; but has a bigger tip. I used one for spraying Slick Sand and it worked well.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:20 AM   #10
deuce_roadster

My friend has a HF gun for primer and at some point he figured out it cost more in lacquer thinner to clean it properly by taking it all apart then to throw it away. I have been using the same DeVilbiss siphon production gun since 1973 and I only have 1 more car to paint. I bought an expensive HPLV gun but never took it out of the box. I just can't justify the risk of learning to use something when the MONTHS of prep work and the crazy prices of paint, thinner and hardener are on the line. I KNOW what my present gun will do and am willing to know I waste some paint in more overspray. I am just not willing to risk having to completely redo a job. I did borrow a high quality HPLV gun and shot the underside of the hood and decklid of my brand X project and could see it wasn't for me. Especially since I only have 1 more car to do. I quit working on other people's cars many years ago. Gave my $600 HPLV gun to my friend. If I was younger and just learning I would use the HPLV system. I have painted between 20 and 30 cars and my habits are locked in. I don't paint because I like to, I just don't like paying for something I can do myself. I was taught by a professional which helped a lot.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:22 PM   #11
Kilohertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcc View Post
I see a Neiko #31215A 1.7 tip HVLP gun w/air regulator for $40. on Amazon. Anyone used one of these?
I bought this exact gun last year when I was restoring my '68 Firebird and used this for the primer/filler which is a pretty heavy thick material and it worked well. It's a nice gun for the price and seems to get good reviews. One thing I will caution you about if you get it, when cleaning it, don't get lacquer thinner on the pressure gauge, the clear lens is plastic....don't ask me how I know.

Good luck!

Cheers
Old 03-05-2021, 03:26 PM   #12
wga

Powder coating the frame