Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2019, 02:14 PM   #1
Deuce Man

Default 1929 truck visor

My 29 pickup didn't have a visor on it when I got it. It did have a repop frame and a slab of vinyl that matched the top. There are instructions that tell you to slather the vinyl up with contact cement and wrap it around the visor frame. My question, is that the way Henry did it? I want to be as close to the original look as possible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Rich
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: 1929 truck visor

This link should help. http://forums.aa-fords.com/viewtopic...A+visor#p35373

Bob
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

What that AA thread does not tell you is you need a sewing awl, a template, and some skill to pull this off as most shops do not have an extended arm walking foot machine.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:41 PM   #4
Joe K

Yes above. And most of the "kits" with pre-sewn covers include the "panels" sewn through to give appearance - but the panels are "artificial" and they rely on glue/adhesive to give the actual sewn panel appearance.

It is possible to do the sewn panels on a standard sewing machine - but one can expect to break a couple of needles and possibly plastic gears in the sewing machine itself in the process (I the former but fortunately not the latter) A tolerant and forgiving wife is an asset in these activities.

My mentor restorer saw my version of sewn covers and wondered "who did that for you?" I explained my methodology and he congratulated me on my persistence and luck.

I have since seen other covers done by others and think theirs is a better job.

Keep in mind that original frames had two holes at each side in the corner for insertion of a metal "keeper." The keeper is akin to the old fashioned notebook page fastener where in this case, the metal tang penetrates the fabric and pulls the cover up tight on the underside into the corner of the frame. The outer layer folded back over covers all (although for fine point the judges may feel for "bumps" on top from the metal fastener. They WILL look underneath.)

The repop frames don't include these holes - although they can be added. I'm not aware that the metal fastener is reproduced.

Joe K
Old 01-31-2019, 05:01 PM   #5
Joe K

The special corner brackets appear to be now available. Most parts vendors carry these under #A-817-BKT part number.

Although - these don't match my brackets. Mine are original I'm sure but seem to be more in the realm of "tang looseleaf notebook" construction. I'll pix this below.
I speculate the trucks tended to be assembled at "distribution points" (mine is from Somerville, MA) and there may be more variation depending on local custom/parts sources.

Joe K
Old 02-01-2019, 12:03 PM   #6
Joe K

One last entry and more information on the metal bracket.

The bracket I cited above is NOT an original - but someone's idea of "aftermarket replacement."

No rivets are used - rather the bracket device has "tabs" (i.e. my thought of "tangs") which are pushed through by the bar on the underside, puncture the fabric, pass through the hole in the visor frame, and are bent over only to hold everything in place.

THEN the upper layer is folded over and the sewing completed.

More detail on the brackets and their application at https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...CC+visor+frame

Also, other sun-visor threads indicate the 65ish CC re-roofing pix formerly at Marco's Barnyard site reportedly contain a couple of pix of the frame and bracket. I'm not seeing it. Try https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=13 for a lead to the Wayback Machine location of Marco's pix.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 02-01-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote