Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2018, 09:27 PM   #21
Tinker

Default Re: A bodied 32

I think this example/ad is less then credible for this actually being a thing.

Maybe some dealers sold some 31's in 32, most likely. But would they be stamped 32? Ford also ran out productions. Early 38 fords with 37 engines.

I'm inclined to agree with David, without further solid proof.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:15 AM   #22
RalphM

Amazing what people will come up with to sell a car! LMAO!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:29 AM   #23
jimTN

From what I can see the front of the frame is Model A, not 32. What a cobbled up death trap POS.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #24
Karl Wescott

Regarding the year on the title vs the "model year" my experience in troubleshooting problems led me to realize that in general "model years" were not significant to either the car manufacturers or licensing people from the 1900's into the mid 1920's. The "year" on the title/regestration was the first year the vehicle was registered, regardless of when built.

Then as car manufacturing evolved and marketing became more important the "model year" became more important. Partially from a tax standpoint but also as a protection of value for the owner of the vehicle and affected people such as insurance carriers and potential purchasers. So the various states (remember, each state can be quasi-independent on their licensing rules, uniformity is generally by agreement of the states) responded to the public need by attempting to reflect the model year on the vehicles paperwork. This did not happen all at once.

My belief is that some states (particularly North Dakota) did not get around to the "model year" scheme until the early 1930's. We and a customer had a mutually frustrating experience with a large shipment of parts for a "1934" pickup. Nothing fit. After trading photos and some research on my customers effort we figured out that this was an unsold 1931 (depression, remember) that did not leave the dealers lot until 1934.

Back to the original discussion, could a 1930 or 1931 legitimately be titled as a 1932... yes. Was that particular car originally built with a 1932 frame... The only ones who might believe that are the ones who would believe a burnt out hulk of a common tudor sedan body on a mediocre street rod chassis are worth 14K.
Karl Wescott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:46 AM   #25
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

Back years ago in Pennsylvania in the 50 Dad had some leftovers and sold them in the next year and they were titled the current year. Like a 51 sold in 52 and the title said 52 I remember that. So if a dealer had a left over it could be titled the following year. Now that Pa. Don't know about other states.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #26
woodiewagon46

First of all David is probably the most knowledgeable person on the planet on the 1932 Ford. After all he wrote the two volume set of judging standards for the 1932 Ford for the V-8 Club. He might know a little of what he is talking about. Second, the seller is claiming in his text that the chassis is '32. It is clearly a MODEL A with some cobbled up washers welded to the front to accept a Deuce spreader bar. I have been playing with antique Fords since 1962. I have heard every rumor and "true fact" that you can think of. One thing I have learned is that if you can't document it it isn't fact. As I originally stated, this car is just some burned out MODEL A. What ever the seller is trying to pull is just bull#$**.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:18 PM   #27
my4dv8

This model A wouldn’t make it through the gate at Deuce days.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #28
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Unlikely the case here but didn't Ford use Model As to test the v8 motor .Is it one that got away ?

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote