Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
Deuce Man

Default 46 ford electric fuel pump

My 46 vapor locked the other day as I was making a three point turn around on a very narrow country road. After a bit of embarrassment and a bottle of cold water on the carb and fuel pump I managed to get it running again. The pretty young thing in the Porsche roadster that I was holding up, wanted to know if the two of us could push it off to the side? The only bright side of this story! I just ordered a 6 volt elec. fuel pump and regulator from Speedway, as this completely solved this problem on my flathead powered 32. I would like to put the pump inline and only use it when needed. I eliminated the mechanical pump on my 32 and used the electric one exclusively. For the sake of originality on my 46, can the mechanical pump pull thru the elec pump? or should I use it all the time? how should I wire it? to the ignition switch? or to a separate switch as I did on my 32. I am sure there are a lot of variations to this relatively simple install, but I have heard of crankcases getting filled with gas etc, and want to avoid such. Thanks as always Rich
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 46 ford electric fuel pump

Some electric fuel pumps will allow draw though and some won't (I'm sure someone on the Barn can tell you which ones will work). I would never wire anything into the ignition switch (assuming it is original), it is not made to handle the additional current draw. Best to run a dedicated wire to the fuel pump. It is also common to use a relay for the fuel pump. You can wire it with a toggle switch, but must remember to turn it off!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
4dFord/SC

Check this thread: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...tric+fuel+pump
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #4
supereal

We use the electric pump sold by C&G. It is a "flow thru" type, and comes with fittings and bracket. I use mine to fill the carb after the car sits for a long time and the "heat soak" boils the gas away. We don't use a spring type toggle switch because it will be tough to hold it on if the regular pump fails. I found that out the "hard way"!
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #5
FireEngineMike

Use a momentary contact switch so you cannot leave it on.
e.g. amazon.com/gp/product/B000MMC7IO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fuel pump: Airtex E8902 is a 6-volt pass-through ideal for your application and does not need a pressure regulator. I know you already bought yours, but...

Relay: Posts # 19 and #22 on the following link are from JSeery.
fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167593&highlight=fuel+pump+relay
Post #19 has a link for source/purchase. Current (no pun intended) price is $6.40 plus shipping.
Post #22 includes additional relay info and a wiring diagram.

JSeery also recommends an inertia switch for safety, but you don't need one with a momentary contact switch application. Great idea if you use only an electric pump

Good luck.

Last edited by FireEngineMike; 02-21-2018 at 05:39 PM.
FireEngineMike is offline   Reply With Quote