Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2018, 08:12 AM   #1
jkflathead

Default '35 three window glass

I am trying to put new door glass in my '35 three window coupe. The doors came stripped, no regulators, just bare shells so I am installing new everything. I found a good pair of regulators and installed them. Here's my latest problem. I have installed the two side tracks that I got from Bob Drake. These are the fuzzy lined channels that go on the front and the back of the opening for the glass to slide through. They hook into the slots on the door. They are nice and tight to the door. But the metal channel that the glass sits in is too long. The glass fits in it ok and sticks out beyond the channel 1 1/2" on each end. But the metal channel hits the two side channel pieces. The bottom channel is also from Drake and has a label on it that says it is for a '35/'36 tudor or three window. But it is too long by about 3/4" of an inch. I'm tempted to cut it down but I know that is not right. What I am I doing wrong? Thanks.
jkflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:33 AM   #2
TJ

Default Re: '35 three window glass

It sounds like they are too long. Hopefully someone who has a three window with original channels can give you the measurements. You might want to call Regulator Roy (advertises in the V-8 Times) who is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to window regulators and glass channels. His phone# is 609-828-8537 (New Jersey)

Last edited by TJ; 08-05-2018 at 08:36 AM. Reason: add info
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
Randy in ca

The 3-window and tudor are apparently not the same. Here's a previous thread. Also there was a different style used on early models and there's been a few good threads on installing those channels, which I think are interchangeable.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202858
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
geezer35

The part of the channel that holds the glass is 26 inches long, guide piece is another 2 15/32" in round figures. This is an early, door handle forward, don't know if "not so early" is/are the same. I tried to send a picture but lacking a security token (what ever the heck that is) was unable to do so. I hope this helps.

Arne
geezer35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #5
rich b

Probably not relevant to your channels; but this location operates the vent window and up and down functions just right. The tab for the stud is the key dimension to make the window work; but I can't find that number in my notes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glass 1.jpg (43.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg glass 2.jpg (70.4 KB, 38 views)
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:18 PM   #6
rich b

Took a couple of pictures of another channel. Between the the pictures above and these, you should be able to come up with the overall length, roller stud location, and glass position on your "finless" repop channel.

I used Drakes fuzzy track kit, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8050005 (Medium).jpg (58.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg P8050006 (Medium).jpg (57.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg P8050007 (Medium).jpg (45.4 KB, 23 views)
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #7
jkflathead

Thanks you guys! I learned that tudor and three window channels are not the same. My intuition was right and I will trim it down. Don Roger's post with the diagrams in the discussion that Randy from CA posted was very helpful if any of you are having similar problems. The devil's in the details. Thanks!
jkflathead is offline   Reply With Quote