Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-14-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
Vin-tin

Default Prices of model A's

I've noticed a trend lately. Prices of model A's in my area have been declining in the past year or two. There are 3 posted on craig's list
right now and the prices are way lower than I would expect A's to sell for.
1929 special coupe for $8500 (restored)
1931 coupe $4500 (NICE unrestored condition)
And just last night an absolutely beautiful 95% restored (black) 1930 coupe was posted for $8000. I was half tempted to inquire about that one but had to walk away to keep piece in the family .
In hind sight, I should have waited for a deal like this on a restored car instead of buying ones that need restoring. I would have been much farther ahead as far as money is concerned. But heck, it wouldn't be as fun I guess .
Vin-tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
ronn

Default Re: Prices of model A's

regarding the tan coupe for 8500.
It was 5000. 3 weeks ago.................10,000. 2 weeks ago.................12,000 1 week ago
then 8500 for a day and now 9000
seller has some obvious issues......................

the 4500 coupe has no drive train........................
so not so sure prices have dropped,
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
bart78

I have noticed prices dropping. But I think it's mainly not many people buying. The bodies are for sure getting cheaper. I check Craig's list all the time. It's mostly the same stuff all the time. The stuff priced high is allways on there.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

If it is fine quality at a reasonable price if will never reach Craigslist ! Many of the ads are scams !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:16 AM   #5
bart78

The reasonably priced fine quality cars. Get sold off by the kids when dad dies. Seen it many times. Not everything on Craig's list is a scam. Even though some think their junk is worth a lot more than it is. I found that out this week. With a 29 pickup.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin-tin View Post
I've noticed a trend lately. Prices of model A's in my area have been declining in the past year or two. There are 3 posted on craig's list
right now and the prices are way lower than I would expect A's to sell for.
1929 special coupe for $8500 (restored)
1931 coupe $4500 (NICE unrestored condition)
And just last night an absolutely beautiful 95% restored (black) 1930 coupe was posted for $8000. I was half tempted to inquire about that one but had to walk away to keep piece in the family .
In hind sight, I should have waited for a deal like this on a restored car instead of buying ones that need restoring. I would have been much farther ahead as far as money is concerned. But heck, it wouldn't be as fun I guess .
I'd rather spend time restoring an original car than spend time undoing and fixing all the mistakes of a previous owner.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:08 AM   #7
Vin-tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
regarding the tan coupe for 8500.
It was 5000. 3 weeks ago.................10,000. 2 weeks ago.................12,000 1 week ago
then 8500 for a day and now 9000
seller has some obvious issues......................

the 4500 coupe has no drive train........................
so not so sure prices have dropped,
Yea, I agree. The guy with the tan one does have some issues.

I missed the missing driveline in the ad on the 4500 one. So you guys might be somewhat correct about prices.
However, the gorgeous black coupe for 8000 posted just last night, is now gone off of craig's list. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a scam. Scammerss don't usually include there name and phone number. I'm pretty sure it's sold. A rodder probably bought it. Next week i'll probably see it for sale again...minus the body
Old 03-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I think there is a little more to this. First-off, prices for the better quality vehicles are seemingly still on the upward rise. Next, in my view, Craigslist is NOT the place where someone sells a quality Model-A. It is more of a "dumping ground".

As a rule, I do not sell Model-As however I frequently do take calls from folks who want to buy or sell. I always ask budget range and both sides give higher ranges than what I heard several years ago.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #9
harryc

I have sold top quality cars at more than fair prices this past year on Craigslist. If I decide to sell I want it done quickly and not drug out over a long period of time even if I don't get the best price . Good deals are not all scams on Craigslist
harryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:30 PM   #10
29spcoupe

I bought my Special Coupe off of CR. Talked to the seller and had him send me detailed pictures. The price was fair, so I bought it. Saw many cars from CR. None were scams, though there is probably a fair amount of them. Seeing pictures and talking to the owners before traveling to see them is a pretty safe bet. John
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:52 PM   #11
mhsprecher

I bought both of my cars off of CL and paid market price or maybe a little less. Both are old restorations that needed tinkering, a process I am not finished with. I thought about buying one to restore, but I figured I would never finish. Better to buy a local car that is easy to visit than something a long way away.

I was musing this week about Hemmings. It doesn'tnseem to have the cars for sale that it once had. Auctions and CL have probably caused that, assuming my assumption is correct.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:53 PM   #12
Patrick L.

It seems to me that the prices are going out of sight. I've been looking for a somewhat decent complete fixer-upper to keep me busy for awhile. They're more than I'm willing to spend, maybe I'm just cheap.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
I have sold top quality cars at more than fair prices this past year on Craigslist. If I decide to sell I want it done quickly and not drug out over a long period of time even if I don't get the best price . Good deals are not all scams on Craigslist
Ok, I guess we just need to agree that it is possible that our perception of what the word 'quality' means with regards to a Model-A is likely different.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 03-14-2015, 01:11 PM   #14
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

[B]I flew from Detroit to Newark New Jersey three weeks to find out it was a Classic Craigslist scam. An $ 800 dollar lesson taught me to stay away from Craigslist. As Brent so correctly states there is a difference between the perception. of quality. The picture sent to me was not the car for sale and the seller stated he made a mistake and sent me a picture of a friends car. I do not like Ebay but in my opinion it is a 100 times better than Craigslist. Wayne[ /B]
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #15
Vin-tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
... Next, in my view, Craigslist is NOT the place where someone sells a quality Model-A. It is more of a "dumping ground".
What if one of your restored A's was ever posted on c/l for a really reasonable price. What would you say then?

Craig's list has nothing to do with whether it's a "quality Model A" or not.
It has to do with the seller persecution of it's value.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #16
denis4x4

Craig's List for the Western Slope has proven to be an option excellent buy/sell option for me. I think that the geographical area has more to do with poor results than the actual offering.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:50 PM   #17
mshmodela

I think the price will continue to drop due to more Model A's coming on the market within the next 10 years (current owners selling....). I cannot guess the demand in ten years but I'd be in the Model T Roadster market I hope before then...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:35 PM   #18
Neal

There is a natural turn over of Model A's and not enough buyers that are interested in keeping them original to hold the market firm. Those hot rodding the Model A's set the market.

Neal
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:05 PM   #19
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
There is a natural turn over of Model A's and not enough buyers that are interested in keeping them original to hold the market firm. Those hot rodding the Model A's set the market.

Neal
Funny you say that because it counters what others see. I have been around this hobby for over 50 years, and each decade I have witnessed Model-As bringing higher prices than they did the previous decade, ...AND we have more Model-A parts vendors now along with more reproduction parts being produced today that what there was some 20 years ago. Doesn't that kinda prove your thoughts about not enough buyers keeping them original incorrect?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 03-14-2015, 10:24 PM   #20
bart78

Prices will go down. To a lot the Hot Rods are a fad. A lot of guys my age are into them right now. Getting close to 40. And now have some money to spend. They want to do something with a car. But what they were into in high school was mini trucks. And who wants to do that again? I know I don't. I like it when I was 17 but not now. And a lot of the people that like the restored cars are passing away. I myself have really gone through kind of a transformation in the past few months. And really wanting to get a lot more into restoring. I have been having my eight year old son help me go through engines. To look for good rebuilds. The best people can do is try and get more interested.