Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-30-2023, 07:21 PM   #1
kiwi nz

Default Obsolete & classic auto parts wrong pricing issue

Anyone else been trying to order from Obsolete and Classic parts and found that the parts in the shopping cart have an increased in price from what is listed in the online catalogue?
Some of them are doubled, tripled or more.

I have been satisfied with previous dealings with them and am looking to place a substantial order... but I feel that I am being duped by them.
kiwi nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 07:26 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Obsolete & classic auto parts wrong pricing issue

Give them a courtesy call.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 07:27 PM   #3
paul2748

Order person to person and ask for the current price. This way you will know whether to buy it or not.

Most catalogs (even the electronic ones) say the price shown are the ones at the time of printing (listed) and are subject to change.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 07:31 PM   #4
kiwi nz

Thanks, yes I have emailed them and will call if they do not reply.
The catalogue is online it should be up to date.

Last edited by kiwi nz; 07-31-2023 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2023, 05:10 AM   #5
Mac VP

There may be a reasonable explanation for this but you can make a phone call to verify the contradiction. In our case, we place a pdf copy of our printed catalog on our website so anyone can access it and print it out if they wish. The 2023 printed catalog was prepared in late 2022, and thus the prices rapidly begin to become obsolete as time goes by. Naturally, we don’t guarantee that prices will remain the same, and prices have definitely changed at a faster pace than in recent years.

Our website has tabs for product pricing that anyone can view……these are kept up to date as changes occur. Likewise, our online store pricing is maintained as accurately as possible. Should someone try to order something where we have failed to update the specific item price, we honor the old price at the time of the purchase.

So, I’m not defending what happened so much as trying to explain why the OP saw a price that was just in the non-updated printed catalog. The same scenario would happen if he looked at our printed catalog.

By the way, occasionally something goes down in price……nobody ever complains about that for some reason…..
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 10:03 PM   #6
kiwi nz

Thanks Mac VP, yes I understand how things change and how unpredictable things can be.

Because of the high shipping costs I am looking to get as many of the needed parts, as I can, from the one supplier, .
Obsolete parts has just about everything that I need, I compared prices and was happy to place an order.
Prices doubling and in one case tripling stopped me from continuing, I do not know if their whole catalogue will be like this, but so far not one price was unchanged when added to the order.
I asked if they had an up to date online price list and this is the reply I received.

Hi
The catalog online is just like my paper copy. You have to put it in the shopping cart to get the correct price.
Thank you

The Staff
Obsolete & Classic Auto Parts, Inc

Incidentally about an hr later they emailed me a copy of the latest, up to date, Pickup Parts Catalogue.
So I don't think it was an unreasonable enquiry to ask about an accurate price list.

With the time difference and my having to work during the day ph calls are difficult so emails are my preferred contact, I try to be as polite as I can but often get little help or information in return.

I deal with the business's that make buying from them easy rather than difficult.

I am back to finding a supplier for my parts, I may end up back at Obsolete Parts for some of them, as they seem to be the only one so far that can supply me a complete interior upholstery kit.

Last edited by kiwi nz; 07-31-2023 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-01-2023, 01:31 PM   #7
325w

Call Joes Antique on the East coast
325w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 05:23 PM   #8
torpedo

Hi Kiwi nz
I am also based overseas and find it more convenient to use email.
I have had an excellent experience and competitive prices from Michael at Thirdgen Auto.

He supplied parts that I could not find anywhere else...
Old 08-01-2023, 09:32 PM   #9
Fordestes

The catalog was posted in 2022 from what I seen today , I do competitive buying, I buy a lot from mikes, Berts, C.W Moss, Snyders , third gen. ,sacramento vintage , early ford. all have been great to deal with .
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 08:06 AM   #10
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325w View Post
Call Joes Antique on the East coast

X2 on Joe's
Old 08-02-2023, 01:58 PM   #11
RB

Worked for an independent hardware firm for more years than I care to recall, as new stock arrived on a weekly schedule the new stock was always rotated to the year with a marker or divider that indicated when the old stock was sold, only then if a price change was in order it was reflected at that time, something the owner firmly believed in.
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 02:59 PM   #12
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
Worked for an independent hardware firm for more years than I care to recall, as new stock arrived on a weekly schedule the new stock was always rotated to the year with a marker or divider that indicated when the old stock was sold, only then if a price change was in order it was reflected at that time, something the owner firmly believed in.
That was then; unfortunately, this is now.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 03:48 PM   #13
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Go to C&G in California - good prices - great shipping.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 08:16 PM   #14
kiwi nz

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions of companies to try, it will keep me busy for a while.

I was happy with a quite a large parts order I made, last year, to Obsolete and Classic, but this year the experience is much different.

I am sure one or more of the suggested suppliers will be able to help me with what I need.
Old 08-02-2023, 09:08 PM   #15
Krylon32

This is happening at many business's. Prices on the shelves can't keep up with the computer price increases. See it at the grocery store, Dollar General, Walmart etc. On big ticket items I have been asking for a current price check before committing to a purchase. Most of the smaller items are mostly pennies to a dollar. Gotta make a profit to stay in business.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 09:35 PM   #16
kiwi nz

Thanks for the feed back and suggestions, by the way, I am looking for parts for a 1950 Ford Sedan, everything needed to freshen up a very original well kept car.

I keep a good eye on prices, our NZ dollar only gets us sixty US cents, and then our government charges us another 15% percent on everything including the shipping cost.

It soon adds up so it is worth the effort to shop around. The "fly in the ointment" is the multiple shipping costs, hence my trying to get most parts from one supplier.
Old 08-02-2023, 10:13 PM   #17
51504bat

For your Shoe Box try Shoe Box Central. I've had excellent service from them for parts for my '54 Ranch Wagon.

Shoebox Central (shoebox-central.com)

Another suggestion is Concours Auto in Carson City, NV. I've had good results with them as well.

concoursparts.com

Both vendors ship world wide.
Old 08-02-2023, 10:31 PM   #18
35fordtn

We don’t have a print catalog because as Mac van pelt mentioned the prices for vendors are always increasing and the supply is dwindling. This has really surged the last two years. My suggestion is always pick a vendor you trust and email them to see if they can get what you need the company in question has been mentioned on here a couple times recently. They have had workforce issues as have all, and supply chain issues again as have all. My vote would always steer to those that bend over backwards van pelt sales and joes antique auto are two good examples. If I didnt happen to be a vendor myself they’d get all my money spent on this hobby.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote