Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #1
Jim M

Default First transmission rebuild

My 29 Roadster now only has an engine it in. One thing led to another and I decided to go right through it. I am doing well (I think?) and starting to re-assemble. Have a new clutch plate and pressure plate installed and have rebuilt the transmission. The clutch shaft was quite worn and so were the brass bushings which leads to my question. First time I have ever tried to install bushings. I do not have a press but don't know in this case if I could even use it. I was thinking of putting one of the new brass bushings on the end of the shaft then inserting it in the bell housing till the bushings just starts to go in. I was then going to make sure the end of the clutch shaft was even with the bushing then use a block of wood and a hammer to press (or slightly pound) the bushing in. Will this work or is there a better way? Thanks, Jim
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: First transmission rebuild

... Deleted because I misunderstood your question...

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:15 PM   #3
1955cj5

I "pushed" mine in using a socket with the extension inserted the "wrong" way, so i could tap on the extension and push the bushing in with the flat face of the socket..

The bushings I had were split, so I sanded the gap a little so they would slide in more easily

The bushings are soft and will distort easily as you probably know.

Not the best way to do it........I then had to use a brake hone to size the bushing so the shaft would work smoothly.

Your method might work. You may have trouble getting the shaft with a bushing on it to slide into the hole in the housing.

Freezing the shaft and bushing might help a little...

I know there are special tools for this but I don't have them either

It took quite a bit of time to get it all to fit and work smoothly, and in the end it works just fine, a huge improvement over the badly worn bushings that came out....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015_0814modelajeep1445.jpg (94.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 2015_0814modelajeep1444.jpg (103.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 2015_0814modelajeep1441.jpg (92.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 2015_0814modelajeep1389.jpg (84.0 KB, 70 views)
Old 12-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #4
glenn in camino

I usually chamfer the outer edges of the bushings to help getting them started in the part.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:28 PM   #5
CarlG

My first Model A transmission rebuild was when I was 15 or 16 years old and didn't know any better. That one worked fine, drove it all over Arizona for a couple years after that.

Don't think I would even try it now.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:39 PM   #6
SeaSlugs

The transmission itself and its guts is pretty straight forward - be aware of where th elong and short bearings go and the spacer between them. Also be aware on the main shaft there should either be a machined spacer or one present so the bearing doesnt touch the splines. Be aware of what way the oil slinger goes. I decided to use the sealed bearings that are open to the inside for the input/output shafts.

Also now is the time to install the cluster shaft and reverse shaft with the O ring machined into it.

To free the pedal shaft can be tricky - air hammer is a godsend in that department. the clutch shaft bushings can be tricky to press in and must be honed as your shaft will not fit. Ideally they sell a hone that goes across both bushings to hone and align them.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:13 AM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

I had to make an inside bushing tool/driver, and an outside sleeve to keep the thin split bushings from deforming. I wrecked the first bushing I tried without the tools.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:31 AM   #8
Jim M

Tom, What did you make the tool out of and would you have a picture of it?? I too am concerned about destroying the new bushings. Thanks
Old 12-12-2017, 09:54 AM   #9
katy

Would a piece of all-thread rod w/washers and nuts work?
Old 12-12-2017, 01:38 PM   #10
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Would a piece of all-thread rod w/washers and nuts work?
if you find something that just barely slips in the bushing to keep it from crushing or the split overlapping itself i dont see why not. I too wrecked a bushing trying to get them in without some kinda support.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:45 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

I don't have any pictures, but it was a piece of metal a couple thousandths less than the outside diameter of the bushing. I then turned the OD to the same as the ID of the bushing, and for the same length as the bushing. Then I found something the same OD as the bushing to slip over the bushing to contain it while tapping it in.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:58 PM   #12
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

If you have a metal lathe, try what I did.

Bought some Oilite brass tubing from McMaster-Carr and machined a pair. Now they are one piece and drive in pretty easy with a bushing driver. (Clean and oil the shaft hole in the casting first.)

Two advantages: They will not deform when installing, and two, they never need lubrication.

General dimensions: 0.001 per inch press fit on the outside diameter and 0.002 clearance for the brake/clutch pedal shaft. Opinions may vary.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:47 AM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

YES, Opinions will VARY, like, "HOW LONG IS A STRING"---LOL
EVERBODY watches for the answer THEY want to HEAR----LOL
Bill Idiot
Old 12-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #14
History

Some people say their string is 8 inches, but when measured with a certified unit of measurement is only 4 inches.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #15
Chevmn56

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
Some people say their string is 8 inches, but when measured with a certified unit of measurement is only 4 inches.
Folded in half right!!!!!????? lol
Chevmn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #16
Tom Endy

This string of posts appears to be more about the restoration of the bell housing than the transmission. The attached article appeared in the Restorer a number of years ago and may be of help.

Tom Endy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bell Housing Restoration.pdf (1.74 MB, 40 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #17
Purdy Swoft

I agree it does seem to be more about bell housing restoration. I made my bushing driver from an old pedal shaft . I install the pedal shaft collar backwards on the leading end of the shaft . I shorten the shaft so that the un worn end is removed so that it will enter the new bushing without resistance . With the shaft completely or more than completely penetrating the new bushing will help keep the bushing going in a straight line as it is driven in without allowing the bushing to get cocked and damaged . I chamfer the leading end of the bushing only to ease resistance as the bushing is started . The backwards side of the pedal shaft collar rests against the bushing as it is driven in to place . This home made tool works on the clutch release shaft bushings as well as the pedal bushings . I use the clutch releas shaft reamer from Brattons as it reams both shaft bushings at the same time .

Bushings are cheap . I always buy extra bushings in case I damage one on installation . Having extras will save on shipping if you had to reorder .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:09 PM   #18
Jim M

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas. Just wanted to post back that I did get them in first try! I cleaned everything up CLEAN, greased everything real well then put the bearings on the end of the shaft, shoved the shaft all the way in till the bearing was just hitting. Used my hands to slightly turn the bearings and put a little pressure on them till I could feel them starting. I then took a small block of oak wood and tapped on the end of the shaft and bearing and they began to go in. Every few pops of the hammer and I took the block off to see how it was going. A couple of checks I saw that one side of the bearing was not quite as far in so I put the block on and hit that side a couple of times till they were straight the continued the project. It feels SOOOO good when the plan actually goes the way you planned it! Thanks again for all the posts. Jim