Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
jan bogert

Default sputter

i put my new carbs on from uncle Max. set them up with unisyn, pulling the same amount of air at all RPMs. got the smoothest idle. sounds good, takes the throttle excelent. put it in 1st went down the alley, no problem. pulled out went into 2nd gave throttle sputtered under-load off and on. just went around the block 3 times, pulled the plugs, these were fresh plugs. # 1-2-3-4 were a light redish brown. # 5-6 7 almost the same a little darker not much at all. #8 not sooty but black not wet either. thinking about going to a crab style rebuilt one set of points dist. thoughs welcome. new plugs, new wires, went to new style coil, bypassed the ignition switch.
jan bogert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
G.M.

Default Re: sputter

Your best help and the one that will solve this problem is Uncle Max. I don't understand when people buy a product from a reliable source then look to others to solve the problem. You will get a bunch of guess's and fool around for a long time and maybe cause more problems. I'll take the first guess that it could be sticky valves, try some MMO. This will only cost 4 or 5 dollars. G.M.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
jan bogert

put about a shot glass o MMOdown the cyls. left it sit overnight that was on saturday. emailed U.M. yesterday didn't here anything from him yet.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
36tbird

"If I am wrong, or you did not intend to send this insinuation, please correct me and yourself."

Note: I have deleted all of my post that pissed folks off except for the above statement that was included. Folks here advised me to re-read J B's post because I misinterpreted what he said It appears that their reading skills are suspect, too, as they ignored the above original disclaimer.

When I read the post, I got that the car idled smoothly with Max's new carbs but that it was missing when it ran. There was no mention of contacting Max to correct or diagnose the problem and it seemed to me that as we have seen happen before, someone was airing out their dissatisfaction on a forum without giving the vendor a chance to fix it. It looks like mentioning that the carbs were from Max was not even germane to the original posting.

My bad.

PS, I thought deushebag was the German spelling.

Last edited by 36tbird; 01-10-2012 at 04:53 PM.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
G.M.

You want to drizzle MMO down all 4 barrels of the carb while running for a few minutes and put a good load in the fuel. I don't say this will cure your problem but it is cheap and will only help if this is the area of the problem. G.M
Old 01-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
jan bogert

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
T-bird you jerk-off i did not insinuate such a thing!!!!!!!! I only stated that i still have a spudder. An if you read the thread right i'm thinking it's dist. Related.>>>>>>>. Those carbs are perfect as i stated.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
Scott H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36tbird View Post
Sorry to say this, but IMO you are a dueshbag for insinuating that your carbs from Uncle Max have something to do with your problem. Maybe you did not intend to do this but you did. IMO there is not a more stand up guy than Max and that is why I have taken offense to your post. If I am wrong, or you did not intend to send this insinuation, please correct me and yourself.
I thought he explained the symptoms very well, didn't seem to be insinuating anything, told us what he tried and asked for opinions on the ignition system. Don't know what you read into it but I thought it was well written. Even says it idles real smooth.
"got the smoothest idle. sounds good, takes the throttle excellent"

I'll take my guess, and ask if you have fresh, really fresh, gasoline to work with. Maybe your car is drunk on corn-lickker gas.

Last edited by Scott H; 01-09-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
jan bogert

And by the way t-bird i didn't mean to call you that word, but i'm a man, and i take ofence when i'm called a name for no reason. I'm sorry Jan.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
jan bogert

thanks GM i'm going to try that tomarow. i have the MMO.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
Charlie ny
BANNED

Jan,
If I understood you correctly you are thinking of going to a crab dist
with just one set of points ,I'm pretty sure that's not a good way to go. I'm
thinking a proper setup of a crab dual points type dist will smooth things out
quite nicely. If you are presently using a points type dist it is entirely possible
the dwell is messed up.
Peace returns to the Barn.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #11
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36tbird View Post
Sorry to say this, but IMO you are a dueshbag for insinuating that your carbs from Uncle Max have something to do with your problem. Maybe you did not intend to do this but you did. IMO there is not a more stand up guy than Max and that is why I have taken offense to your post. If I am wrong, or you did not intend to send this insinuation, please correct me and yourself.
36tbird:

I think you'd better re-read the post and offer an apology yourself. And learn how to properly spell douchebag.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #12
jan bogert

t-birb, i take back the word sorry to you. i was only being a man about it . if you can't do the same, then just remember one thing, when you sit-down to take a piss, don't forget to wipe.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #13
Terry,OH

Jan: Got the proper plug gap on the plugs? It is possible #8 is misfireing, consider changing #8 with a know good plug from 1,2,3 or 4. then change the #8 plug wire. What style of distributor are you using
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #14
Planojc

Do as Terry posted. Change the #8 plug. I have found several brand new plugs that wouldn't fire.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #15
jan bogert

i just changed the wires, its a helmet dist. i'm going out and like GM said i'm going to drizzle MMO into the carbs maybe a sticky valve. but i'm going to take out #5 and put it in #8 and then test.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #16
TRUCK_RAT

ive recently seen a rash of this type of thing happening. a miss developing shortly after you start driving. the problem that i have found has been crappy plug wires that dont stay seated either at the plug or the dist. they scoot just a little off and there you go. ive taken to putting good name brand wires on all my stuff. it's just not worth the hassle.
TRUCK_RAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #17
jan bogert

just flipped plugs around, its the same. tried MMO for a couple of mins. the same. ran with choke on a little same. i'm leaning very hard towards the dist.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #18
Ford46

What about fuel? Are you running a stock pump or an electric pump? I had a similiar issue with a stock engine. Chased everything and anything, turned out to be the fuel pump. I was in the middle of a trip, it ran fantastic on the way up. On the way home that same day the problem started all at once, could not give it fuel it missed and sputtered (by the way fiirst gear was fine, under load it was a different story), kept getting worse as I drove. Finally chased it down to fuel...then the pump....LouB.
Ford46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #19
jan bogert

46, i have an electric pump. i have a fuel block with 2 lines one for each carb. and a guage in each line at 3lbs. but i can't see the guages when driveing. you know that pumps makes so much noise even mounted in rubber. i'm going to change it out. if its not that i can always use it on my henry j when that one goes bad. anyone know of a way to check the rotor? they say they wear thin on the helmet dist. and then arc on the shaft.

Last edited by jan bogert; 01-10-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #20
Jack E/NJ

You could try a timing light on each plug at idle. Usually can spot a missed spark by eye at low rpms.

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote