Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-09-2022, 06:03 PM   #1
busmania

Default Do I have a mercury crank?

Shortly after buying my car with a frozen FlatheadI found a Flathead on Craigslist for $100 so I bought it as a back up. When I showed up to pick it up, he also gave me some other parts. Notably 3 cranks. One has 3.75” written on it, one hd 4.0” and the last has nothing. Obviously I can’t trust what someone wrote on it but I’m hopi g the one that says 4” is a mercury crank. The shop I dropped my block off this week at said the only way to tell is the merc crank will have larger oil holes. Is this true? Here’s some photos. If it is a mercury crank and I decide to machine/use it, what else do I need to change to make it work? Is it worth using? As always, thanks for all your help!

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...4&d=1670626891

Last edited by busmania; 12-13-2022 at 10:39 AM.
busmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 06:09 PM   #2
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Do I have a mercury crank?

Oil clean outs are certainly a great indicator. The sure fire way to tell is to measure the width of the large bob weights on the crank Merc. is just over 6" and Ford (3.75" stroke) is either 5.5" or 5.75" (I forget at the moment). Aside from actually measuring the stroke, this is the way to tell.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 12-09-2022 at 06:17 PM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 06:17 PM   #3
cas3

Yes ^^^, and I think the merc oil cleanout plug is 5/8, ford much smaller, like 3/8 maybe
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 06:20 PM   #4
busmania

Just to confirm, we are talking the hole in photo 2, yes? On this crank the holes are definitely much bigger than on the other crank. The third has non holes.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:54 PM   #5
Ronnie

You will find your answer here

https://myflatheadford.com/identify-...ry-crankshaft/

Ronnie
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 04:51 PM   #6
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Yes ^^^, and I think the merc oil cleanout plug is 5/8, ford much smaller, like 3/8 maybe
Usually this is true (at least for the cranks made in the USA). I know there are some Canadian 4.00" stroke cranks that have a smaller journal oil-cleanout hole - more along the typical Ford size we see in the USA.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 05:22 PM   #7
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Usually this is true (at least for the cranks made in the USA). I know there are some Canadian 4.00" stroke cranks that have a smaller journal oil-cleanout hole - more along the typical Ford size we see in the USA.
This is correct. These cranks typically have the "kidney bean" dimple in the front throw. They tend to have the smaller clean out holes.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 05:45 PM   #8
Flathead

Is there a casting mark ICM on it? CM is Mercury, it looks like a cast iron Merc crank and those usually have a casting mark.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 05:55 PM   #9
bobH

Sometimes I'm puzzled... If crank is loose, what's so difficult about measuring the stroke as Ronnie posted in #5? Takes at least a couple minutes. Couple of 2x6's or 1x6's to support the mains, on a bench or on the floor or where ever, and measure. Done. None of the other characteristics are needed.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 08:12 PM   #10
A bones

The difference would be is it virgin, or was it stroked to get to four.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:26 PM   #11
GB SISSON

Now you guys have me wondering. I'm gonna run down to the shop after dinner and see what characteristics my merc crank has. This has been quite informative. Four years ago I was looking at a crank at the Portland swap meet. Guy wanted 100 bucks for it, claimed it was 4" mercury. While I was trying to measure it with a tape, some guy standing there watching me went up to the guy and bought it.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 08:59 PM   #12
busmania

So I’m pretty sure it is mercury. Is it worth using in my build? What else will I have to change to use it?

I was basically thinking of building a mostly stock engine with maybe a slightly better cam (is that a thing with flatheads?) and adjustable lifters and I’d like to run dual carbs. Will this crank be a nice upgrade if it measures out and is serviceable?
Old 12-10-2022, 09:40 PM   #13
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by busmania View Post
So I’m pretty sure it is mercury. Is it worth using in my build? What else will I have to change to use it?

I was basically thinking of building a mostly stock engine with maybe a slightly better cam (is that a thing with flatheads?) and adjustable lifters and I’d like to run dual carbs. Will this crank be a nice upgrade if it measures out and is serviceable?
You will need mercury pistons as the pin is set higher up. Rods are the same as 8ba. You will feel a big difference. I went total stock except for the 4" crank and in a truck I could pull all my regular hills with ease in high gear that used to require a downshift. Add the cam and dual carbs. A game changer I'm sure.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 12-10-2022, 10:31 PM   #14
busmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
You will need mercury pistons as the pin is set higher up. Rods are the same as 8ba. You will feel a big difference. I went total stock except for the 4" crank and in a truck I could pull all my regular hills with ease in high gear that used to require a downshift. Add the cam and dual carbs. A game changer I'm sure.
Nice, thanks. Appreciate the real world insight! It is not an 8ba motor so maybe I’ll need new rods too. I guess at this point I likely won’t be using my old parts! Obviously I’ll measure the cranks as shown above to make sure and then take it to my machine shop to have them check it and machine it.
Old 12-10-2022, 10:45 PM   #15
3twinridges

Use the 4” crank. You will be glad you did.

JB
3twinridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 12:31 AM   #16
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3twinridges View Post
Use the 4” crank. You will be glad you did.

JB
So you see, merc cranks aren't just for hot rods, us truck guys love them too. BTW, the one I just went and checked on has 3/8" clean out holes, a kidney bean imprint on the front throw and measures 6 1/8" across the thick bob weight. It was recently turned from std to 10/20. And I'm pretty sure you can use your rods and the full floaters from your 59ab. Some prefer them.
Old 12-11-2022, 12:57 AM   #17
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by A bones View Post
The difference would be is it virgin, or was it stroked to get to four.
I don't believe that you can go from 3 3/4" stroke to 4" without welding the rod journals or having custom made rods with a smaller big end diameter. (never heard of such a rod though!)
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:45 AM   #18
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
I don't believe that you can go from 3 3/4" stroke to 4" without welding the rod journals or having custom made rods with a smaller big end diameter. (never heard of such a rod though!)
Yes I am aware, but if that were done and I wanted to pass it on, I would mark the stroke in it.
Old 12-11-2022, 06:11 PM   #19
busmania

Some photos. The big weight is 6.25ish inches across. There is an etching of 1CM. The oil holes are definitely 5/8”. I’m pretty stoked!

706DFC5E-201C-4054-B4EC-6E3B0DBE1527.jpg

5E5AED4D-A47E-4AD7-881A-0128012BE9D2.jpg

3D5FEFE1-AC58-438C-A6C9-489A27981A46.jpg
Old 12-11-2022, 08:07 PM   #20
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by busmania View Post
Some photos. The big weight is 6.25ish inches across. There is an etching of 1CM. The oil holes are definitely 5/8”. I’m pretty stoked!

Attachment 505231

Attachment 505232

Attachment 505233
Yup! You scored on that! Good for you!