Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
tribouboys

Default Engines in Hershey

Does anyone know who will be bringing rebuilt engines to Hershey. Looking to purchase one there and would like to make a connection with the builder so I know if I need to bring a core.
tribouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
emf

Default Re: Engines in Hershey

Try giving Joe Bell a call... 419-447-5431. He sets up in the Chocolate Field North.

Frank
emf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:18 PM   #3
Bruce Adams

Call Antique Engine Rebuilders in Skokie, IL.
Rich makes great engines including those with HIGH COMPRESSION HEADS, INSERTS, BALANCED CRANKSHAFT, LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL, ENLARGED VALVES, TOURING CAM.

I have had many thousands of satisfied miles with mine.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:41 PM   #4
bettlesr

Ora from Schwalms always has some engines to sell.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:03 AM   #5
divcoone

AER quit coming last year. Hope He comes back this year.
divcoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:43 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Part of the issue with buying 'anything' at Hershey, -especially from a bonifide business entity is the State of Pennsylvania requires the (temporary out of state) swap meet Seller to collect sales tax on all sales. Most of us that are engine rebuilders get a decent rate on shipping due to our volume, so you might be further ahead to call your rebuilder of choice and get a quote on them freighting it to your local freight terminal.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:48 PM   #7
tribouboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by divcoone View Post
AER quit coming last year. Hope He comes back this year.
I spoke to Rich and he does not plan to be there this year.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #8
tribouboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Part of the issue with buying 'anything' at Hershey, -especially from a bonifide business entity is the State of Pennsylvania requires the (temporary out of state) swap meet Seller to collect sales tax on all sales. Most of us that are engine rebuilders get a decent rate on shipping due to our volume, so you might be further ahead to call your rebuilder of choice and get a quote on them freighting it to your local freight terminal.
Thank you for pointing that out.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #9
Scott NY

If you pay for it before hand and just pick it up in Hershey you do not have to pay the sales tax
Scott NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #10
oldredford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott NY View Post
If you pay for it before hand and just pick it up in Hershey you do not have to pay the sales tax
Call ahead and pay by cash sometimes you get by without paying sales tax.
oldredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:21 AM   #11
Dave Mellor NJ

Schwalm is in the green field close to the dividing road between the Orange field
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:18 AM   #12
jim1932

Schwalms isn't very far from Hershey. Probably easier to pick up it their business address. Easier to load etc.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:49 AM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott NY View Post

Hey Scott, this kinda counters what I/we have been instructed in this regard. If whomever the Seller is, has ICC Authority with the Dept of Transportation, then theoretically the engine can be received outside of the Seller's home state being sales tax free, however the Seller must prove the entire business transaction was consummated outside of his home state, AND there was never any nexus in Pennsylvania.

Where this is even getting more sticky is many states are enforcing old laws on their books for collecting 'Use Tax'. I am a member of NFIB, and I saw something a couple years ago in their newsletter where States are cracking down on patrons of mass-merchandiser mail order firms (Amazon, Zoro, RockAuto, et/al) and requiring them to pay Use Tax on items that were purchased thru interstate commerce. In other words, a large company gets audited and these auditors look to see how much was mail-ordered and to whom. Let's say they look down the list and noticed Mr. McGrew has purchased around $2,500 in merchandise over the past couple of years from this company being audited. The auditors realize they have lost out on collecting state's sales tax for their state (due to the interstate sales) however they are all too happy to forward information to the Buyer's home state in exchange from that state's auditors forwarding information regarding audits that pertain to recipients of their state. Now Mr. McGrew gets a letter from his home state's Dept. of Revenue demanding the 8% sales use tax along with penalty & interest for items that have been mail-ordered in.

While all of this seems crazy, you have some big-time retailers on both sides fighting on this. Everyone needs to take a moment and think of who their big retailers are in their town, ...and then think about the sales revenue they are losing to locals who are buying stuff on-line. Many states (Tennessee included) have started making out-of-state mail-order company collect sales tax for the state it is being shipped to. I suspect that will become prevalent nationwide before long. I realize this went off-track from the O/P's question but I think he got his answer earlier.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:00 AM   #14
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Hey Scott, this kinda counters what I/we have been instructed in this regard. If whomever the Seller is, has ICC Authority with the Dept of Transportation, then theoretically the engine can be received outside of the Seller's home state being sales tax free, however the Seller must prove the entire business transaction was consummated outside of his home state, AND there was never any nexus in Pennsylvania.

Where this is even getting more sticky is many states are enforcing old laws on their books for collecting 'Use Tax'. I am a member of NFIB, and I saw something a couple years ago in their newsletter where States are cracking down on patrons of mass-merchandiser mail order firms (Amazon, Zoro, RockAuto, et/al) and requiring them to pay Use Tax on items that were purchased thru interstate commerce. In other words, a large company gets audited and these auditors look to see how much was mail-ordered and to whom. Let's say they look down the list and noticed Mr. McGrew has purchased around $2,500 in merchandise over the past couple of years from this company being audited. The auditors realize they have lost out on collecting state's sales tax for their state (due to the interstate sales) however they are all too happy to forward information to the Buyer's home state in exchange from that state's auditors forwarding information regarding audits that pertain to recipients of their state. Now Mr. McGrew gets a letter from his home state's Dept. of Revenue demanding the 8% sales use tax along with penalty & interest for items that have been mail-ordered in.

While all of this seems crazy, you have some big-time retailers on both sides fighting on this. Everyone needs to take a moment and think of who their big retailers are in their town, ...and then think about the sales revenue they are losing to locals who are buying stuff on-line. Many states (Tennessee included) have started making out-of-state mail-order company collect sales tax for the state it is being shipped to. I suspect that will become prevalent nationwide before long. I realize this went off-track from the O/P's question but I think he got his answer earlier.
ding ding ding, I called coker tire a few years ago about ordering and just picking up free like they advertise at IOLA, WI. They then informed me I would have to pay WI sales tax which was only about $20 less than the shipping charge would have been... Decided to go with Lucas tires and got a heck of a shipping discount thru them and no sales tax.