Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2022, 01:41 PM   #61
jeepguy1948

Default Re: Supercharging a Model A

Does anybody know what user name Dave Gerold is using? I tried a search for his name but no luck.
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:50 PM   #62
Terry Burtz, Calif

Dave Gerold's user name is Dave in MN
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 03:39 PM   #63
JOHNCL

GeneBob, is your Cling's crank pulley a one-piece and is it steel or aluminum? I have not installed my own Cling's crank pulley because it is two-piece with the inner part steel and the outer pulley is aluminum. Thanks in advance.
JOHNCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 03:56 PM   #64
Phil Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce of MN View Post
With a blow through the carb, the float bowl vents and overflow need to be addressed, do you know what was done?
The vent was in the air horn of the carb so the fuel bowl saw the same pressure as the throttle blades. the throttle shaft had seals installed to help with leakage around them but probably not really needed if they fit well and the carb is not just plain worn out.
I like a draw-through system better but most turbos today do not seem to have a carbon seal in them and when they see an inlet restriction (closed throttle blade) the vacuum created pulls oil through into the intake
That was just using what I had laying around to have some fun. The turbo was one of a pair from a Nissan 300ZX so no seal in the turbo due to being originally fuel injected
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 11:55 PM   #65
GeneBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNCL View Post
GeneBob, is your Cling's crank pulley a one-piece and is it steel or aluminum? I have not installed my own Cling's crank pulley because it is two-piece with the inner part steel and the outer pulley is aluminum. Thanks in advance.
JohnCL,
I checked when I got home to be sure. It is one piece, aluminum and is anodized. It looks like regular anodize, not hard anodize.
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:16 PM   #66
Nutrocker

I supercharged my ‘28 motor. To do it properly is a lot of work.

My engine is a late ‘28 block, 3 bearing cam, fitted with Scat crank and rods.

The pistons are custom forged JE Pistons with the thin rings and virtually nothing below the wrist pin.

The head is an F head originally made by a UK company who I won’t name as it wasn’t very good. It has 1-7/8” intake valves. I had to modify the combustion chamber as the valves were shrouded, weld up the side draft ports and weld extension to the top of the head so I could machine semi down draft ports that flowed a lot better. I also had to raise the rockers to stop them from swiping across the valve stems.

The cam is a dual grind, due to the F Head, billet steel. 4 in the block that are direct and 4 in the head that have a rocker ratio. The cam was designed with more over lap than normal due to not being able to increase the size of the exhaust valves due to core shift. The idea being to use boost pressure to purge the cylinder of waste gases before the exhaust valve shuts.

The block is welded and align bored to take AER shells, as well as the cam bored bored to take English small Ford cam bearings. Cam was made for the same bearings.

Front and rear main caps are steel. The centre main is a ‘H’ section girdle. 2” square across the block, align bored to take the shell, then two 2” x 5/8” side plates bolted down to the sump mounting holes.

Rear main cap has 2 brass half rounds screwed to the thrust faces and ground to control endfloat. It also has a 2 piece seal housing for a large diameter lip seal, that seal runs on a ground steel cup that fits between the crank and flywheel.

The main caps are drilled and taped for AN fittings for the full pressure old system.

Oil system. Titan twin scavenge and single feed belt driven pump. Dry sump setup and two gallon oil tank. Main feed from the oil pump goes to oil filter mounted to the side of the block. The oil filter has 2 internal lines that feed front and centre main. One external line that feeds the rear main. There is a small bore line that feeds an external manifold that in turn feeds the 4 cam bearings, and the rocker shafts. There are also 5 lines that have misting jets that spray oil over the intake rocker assembly, the valve chest for the push rods and exhaust valve assembly and on the cam gear.
I can set the oil pressure at what I want and has a really good flow rate.

Supercharger is a late 40’s Wade RO34 from a Commer TS3. I rebuilt the blower and modified it to take modern seals. I shimmed it to its tightest spec and now produces 10 psi at 5000 rpm.

Two 97’s supply the fuel. Water is cooled by an electric water pump mounted on the sump that feeds a rear mounted radiator. The water pump is controlled by an electronic programmable controller.

Ignition is a coil pack and DTA programmable ecu. Crank trigger, manifold air pressure sensor and throttle position sensor feed the ecu the data it needs.

There is loads of stuff I’ve missed out, but ever single thing in this motor has been attended to. It runs really strong and pulls like a train. Hp isn’t known. I’ve had it on the rolling road dyno but rear wheel spin on the rollers meant we couldn’t get true figures. Guessing somewhere between 175 and 200 horses.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I’ll leave you with buildup photos.
Nutrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:38 PM   #67
Flathead

Hey Nutrocker! Thanks for sharing all that info and also the pics.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:23 PM   #68
GPierce

That is truly a thing of beauty. Thanks for sharing it.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:33 PM   #69
GeneBob

I would be interested in a SCAT or Burlington crank if someone knows of a deal on one.
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 02:06 AM   #70
updraught

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...anged.1000469/
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 12:28 PM   #71
denniskliesen

I have a Burlington I can sell. It is a new crank still in the box for an A block. Make me an offer with a PM.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 01:06 PM   #72
jeepguy1948

If Gene elects to pass on the crank I might be interested
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote