Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2022, 05:26 PM   #1
BTERRY29

Default Timing Gear Question

I have read somewhere that a cam gear with excessive backlash will "let you know it". I assume that means it will make noise. My question is, would this noise be present at all times, or would it be more prominent at idle vs. under load. My initial thought is that at idle, there is opportunity for a clatter, but under load I would think the gears would be under more direct contact with the chances for noise might not be present? Or would it be the opposite, were the gear is quiet until loaded up? Anyone have any direct experience with excessive lash in a running engine? For the sake of discussion, lets assume an aluminum gear.
BTERRY29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:50 PM   #2
old ugly

Default Re: Timing Gear Question

i had ones that would make a knock sound at an idle. the noise went away once reved up. changing the loose gears stopped the noise.
i don't know if that is the noise they all make.

i think what happens, and this is just my thoughts on it, is at an idle the cam wants to change speed or direction of rotation because of valve springs pressure against the lobes trying to slow the cam down or speed it up, then the gears have enough space between them to make the knocking noise.

just my thoughts

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:25 AM   #3
BTERRY29

Default Re: Timing Gear Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by old ugly View Post
i had ones that would make a knock sound at an idle. the noise went away once reved up. changing the loose gears stopped the noise.
i don't know if that is the noise they all make.

i think what happens, and this is just my thoughts on it, is at an idle the cam wants to change speed or direction of rotation because of valve springs pressure against the lobes trying to slow the cam down or speed it up, then the gears have enough space between them to make the knocking noise.

just my thoughts
My assumption is similar. I am experiencing the opposite, where the engine is quiet at idle, but makes a clatter under certain load conditions. Timing adjustment has no impact. Much different than a knock.
BTERRY29 is offline   Reply With Quote