Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2022, 10:42 PM   #1
coxswain98

Default Need piston ring information

I have a set of Egge E120 +.030” for my stand bore +.030” block. Egge says the correct Hastings ring set 524-030. I have only found 524S-030 which appears to be a 3 ring set. I need a 4 ring set. Does anyone know where I can find this or another brand that fits?
coxswain98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:00 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Need piston ring information

If the top three rings fit and have a proper modern oil ring, you can safely leave off the bottom ring set as they are redundant. The fourth ring was a "band-aid" used because of the inferior quality of the old style oil rings. When I built my last engine, I did a bunch of research and conducted discussions with guys on here and on the H.A.M.B. about this and came to the conclusion that the bottom ring can be left out because all it does is add extra drag to piston. I left them off, had the assembly balanced, and have not experienced any problems. I believe that I am not the only one who has done this in the past. I would just make sure I knew exactly what I was dealing with regarding proper fit and balance.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:06 PM   #3
deuce lover

C & G in Escondido,CA
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:20 PM   #4
petehoovie

Post as seen on the Techno Source site by the late and great Paul Garrigan (aka Rumble Seat):

"RINGS: Ford originally came with 4 ring pistons to decrease excessive oil consumption. Rings contribute the most friction of any engine component. Check the drag on one piston in a cylinder using 4 rings and then again after removing 1 oil ring. Amazing! Increased friction causes a build up of heat as well as a reduction in hp. The added friction of the 4th ring causes an engine to run hotter.... something we really don’t need in our flatheads. To overcome friction requires hp...... hp I’d sooner be using for fun things. Why not change and run 3 rings which have 25% less drag than 4 rings do? Makes sense to me. Recent engines normally have only 3 rings and they last well past 100K miles."

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 11:55 AM   #5
coxswain98

Thank you Deuce Lover!

Their website listed them as out of stock, but I called and they just needed to order them from their supplier. I appreciate the tip.

Also, thanks y'all for the recommendation of leaving the 4th ring off. I'll do that.
coxswain98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:58 PM   #6
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxswain98 View Post
I have a set of Egge E120 +.030” for my stand bore +.030” block. Egge says the correct Hastings ring set 524-030. I have only found 524S-030 which appears to be a 3 ring set. I need a 4 ring set. Does anyone know where I can find this or another brand that fits?

524S-030 is a single set of rings for one piston.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote