Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2022, 05:27 PM   #1
tom1948

Default just venting

Well, here we go again, for the second time in two weeks I have received a shipment via ups (unreliable parcel service) that was opened and half the shipment was missing. Last time it was an exhaust piece, this time it was a 6' steel bar. These are the same people that lost an F150 lift kit I shipped last year. I mean, how do you lose 150lbs of steel wired to a 3'x6' plywood board. they tried to deny responsibility but they packed it. took me 5 months to get reimbursed. I, personally have not used them since then and have encouraged my friends to do the same. OK, that's enough of a rant from me. I hope y'all are having a better day.
tom1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:56 PM   #2
Lanny

Default Re: just venting

They call themselves "The Tightest Ship in the Shipping Business".

They should be able to track any package (big or small) that
they are handling...Unless they're in one hell-a-va-wreck

Last edited by Lanny; 03-30-2022 at 11:19 AM.
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:29 PM   #3
Newc

Couple of posts about shipping in the past Forums; My 42# package scanned onto the pickup truck [ups] and never seen [scanned] again?? the professional shippers can write a book about all these problems. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:39 PM   #4
fordor41

I've had packages "lost" by USPS, Fedex & UPS. They must show up somewhere, sometime!
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:25 AM   #5
Dak Rat

After the trouble I've had with UPS over the years, I would never consider using them to ship anything.
Dak Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:40 AM   #6
jayvee34

Unhappy Re: just venting

I shipped my Model A brake system from Fl. to Ca. to be rebuilt and upgraded.
I was charged 3 times the shipping rate that I was charged for the return
of the same system when they were rebuilt. All by UPS. I was able to deny
the overcharge by using a credit card. Got a call from UPS, back and forth for
about 2 weeks, Bank investigation, and finally credited the difference in the
overcharge. UPS, never again.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:09 AM   #7
Charlie ny
BANNED

No one is immune....I shipped (2) 97's and fuel pump to my Buddy Jon Anderson in

Georgia on March 1st...due March 4th, the box arrived yesterday. How do you insure against that ? The USPS's rotten service negated Jon and Jon jr from working on their '36
mano et mano.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:24 AM   #8
Pech33

Not to give “kudos” to the government run mail system, they generally “suck”, I sent, by Priority Mail, my 40 radio to Joe’s in South Carolina on a Saturday (from AZ) with delivery scheduled for the following Tuesday. Joe sent me an email on Monday (a day early) that it had arrived. Go figure!
Pech33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:56 AM   #9
Cool Hand Lurker

I got a radiator from the Pennsylvania area by UPS, packed by UPS store. Shipping had to go through Chicago on the way to Minnesota. Package was 'delayed' in Chicago so it arrived a few days late. It had been opened and re-taped enroute. Nothing was missing. ????
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:59 AM   #10
CA Victoria

On the west coast GLS has an above average record with 1-3 day delivery times. They have the best prices on over sized parcels.
I had two damaged shipments with USPS last year and both were paid within two weeks.

Staffing shortages plague all companies. So many conditions contribute to “lost packages” and when damaged or label errors arise and it takes human intervention it often gets set aside or delayed.
With the millions of packages moved daily the % of error seems to be quite low. IMO The best measurement of service is how a problem is handled.
Seems that some companies shipping locations handle freight more efficiently. I’ve seen some lengthy delays with east coast shipments, and maybe due in part to weather.....

Last edited by CA Victoria; 03-29-2022 at 01:33 PM.
CA Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:16 AM   #11
36crazy

I have actually had always a positive experience with Ups, Fed ex on the other hand not always so great. Fed ex delivered a pair of tires of mine to my neighbor and hid them under a bush. When I called to tell them I didn't receive my package Fed ex told me tough luck, company I purchased them from said not our issue. Luckily the neighbors son found them and brought them to me a solid month after they were supposed to be delivered.
36crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 02:04 PM   #12
expavr

Not to question the details of individual experiences with shipping, but after viewing the video of the 60 vehicle pileup on I 85 in PA yesterday which included several freight hauling trucks the thought occurred to me that what happens to the contents of those trucks in the process of cleaning up the mess? Multiply that by other weather related accidents and the normal idiot related accidents and it’s possible that some of our old car related goodies are MIA as a result. Just saying.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 03:13 PM   #13
STEVE O

In response to 36crazy's post I had something happen to me. Ordered my wife some flower pots and brackets from Home deXXX. Was home when the fedex driver drop them off. 3 pots & 3 brackets. Well he dropped 4 boxes. I assumed the pots were in 3 of the boxes and brackets in the other. Not! 3 sets of brackets 1 pot. Shipping labels show 6 different packages with same tracking number. Well after getting pissed at FEDEX and HOME DEXXX with several phone calls to both (as I'm old school)l I gave in and filed a claim with my credit card company. The credit card company told me that this is the correct way to do it as they would figure out who is responsible and they refunded the balance for the missing pots. I don't think its up to the credit card company to figure it out BUT GO FIGURE!
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 03:33 PM   #14
GLAmes

FedEx delivered the wiring kit for my '54 to a school two blocks from here (on a different street with a different number) along with two fire extinguishers that were replaced under a recall. Luckily for me, the secretary at the school remembered my wife who had volunteered there as a helper and called us. Even though the store is farther away I ship by UPS.
Old 03-29-2022, 04:31 PM   #15
A bones

The systems UPS, USPS, Fedex, DHL are comprised of many job titles and and many rules and regs, Enforcement of regs is always a person guiding other people. After all the interaction there is the surrender to the machinery: belt conveyors, forklift trucks, and of course 24/7 gravity.
The evening news is regularly showing that trucks have been rolled and jackknifed. As "expavr" points out. Loads that have been abandoned by drivers. ( Amazon I believe )

The first thing I plan for, is to do my own packaging and labeling. Next is accepting the charge for insurance.

The bottom line though, is what will corporate do to satisfy a claim. My experience with UPS is that they work hard, to try to avoid letting loose of the cash.
Sorry to go on so.
Old 03-29-2022, 04:53 PM   #16
1948F-1Pickup

Don't get me started on UPS......
I've told this one before but it's still valid. (plenty experience with missing automotive shipments as well)

Had a known seller ship a very expensive bicycle to me from Manhattan NY.
About the time it should have arrived in CA, there was nothing. Tracking indicated they didn't know where the item was. (As if a carton 70"x10"x30"
is easy to misplace in the residential package delivery segment)
About a day later I was physically down at the UPS hub asking questions.
The customer counter representative from my whse manager job 15 years before was still there. We had a chat. Around 5 days later the bike arrived.
The box had been opened but it was obviously the original shipping box as
it looked like it had been through world war III. The shipping label in comparison was pristine and looked like it had just been printed and affixed the day before. The tracking number WAS NOT the same as was provided by the seller. No response as to where the item was. I was happy to just get it.
My conjecture is that it was recognized by someone at UPS and they tried to
make it disappear into their possession. So much heat was generated looking
for it though by my friend at UPS, and mysteriously this "lost" package re-appeared.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:13 PM   #17
aussie merc

you lot recon you got problems try international shipping its totaly screwed parcels get lost and no wonder had one arrive yesterday it dropped off the tracking system on feb 22 didnt resurface until it was dropped off and by the markings had been thru at least 3 different carriers no wonder they go missing
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:55 PM   #18
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36crazy View Post
I have actually had always a positive experience with Ups, Fed ex on the other hand not always so great. Fed ex delivered a pair of tires of mine to my neighbor and hid them under a bush. When I called to tell them I didn't receive my package Fed ex told me tough luck, company I purchased them from said not our issue. Luckily the neighbors son found them and brought them to me a solid month after they were supposed to be delivered.
Do you live on a hill? I brought a nice 7.50 x 16 on a rim home from a swap meet and when I bounced it off my tailgate it took off down the valley through the woods and I never found it. Never. That may well have been why your tires were in your neighbor's brush. UPS been good to me.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:32 PM   #19
OldGold360

I too have had much better luck with UPS than I have had with FedEx. I get deliveries 2-4 days a week, and nearly every FedEx van that comes to my place is a mess, very disorganized. Not the case for my UPS driver. I’ve even had a FedEx driver attempt to deliver a package twice in the same day and couldn’t find it either stops. Finally, on the third visit, he found it. I tried to help but he didn’t speak any English. Even my hounds like UPS more. Just my experience. I think our own personal experiences are based on location and each driver has a hand in our experiences with each company, good or bad.
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:06 AM   #20
Cool Hand Lurker

I live in a small town in Minnesota. When I order something from far across the USA it can go thru up to SIX transfer locations before it gets to me. Loading, unloading, six times will likely make some impact and damage.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote