Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2018, 11:03 AM   #1
cjkohnast

Default Fire extinguishers

Kidde has a recall on some of there fire extinguishers If you have one call this number 855-271-0773. I have four in the house and one in the model A Two were OK and Kidde is sending me three replacements
cjkohnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #2
duke36

Default Re: Fire extinguishers

Thank you for posting this; we went thru the process last month for our shop units, but be aware that the returns via UPS have to be at a location that will take them. The drop off address given in our area was bogus. We then called UPS numerous times, and finally after mentioning again the Kidde recall, it took a couple of weeks for a sanctioned driver to pick them up.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:35 AM   #3
2manycars

I called and was told that I was getting 10 new ones, but nothing has showed up yet.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
1955cj5

Here is more information

https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/Kidde284US/

On the right side of the page is a Recall Identification Guide link to a video that identifies the recalled units...
Old 02-03-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
Keith True

I called the numbers in for seven units,three were up for recall.Also,the chart shows the series that were affected,but not all of those models are.When they check the serial numbers some are fine.i have four Sears models that were listed on the chart,but found those were exchanged in the first 2009 recall.When you call in you need the models,and all numbers on the tags.You should really have the units in front of you when you call in.They are very helpful on the phone,and it goes fast if you do your homework before you call in.I have seven more units to call in on.The only units affected are PLASTIC handle units.NOT metal handle ones.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:22 PM   #6
Sparky

I recently got a free replacement for one that was almost 30 years old.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:18 PM   #7
Vic in E-TN

I had Kidde send me a total of 15 new units for the recall. Fire extinguishers are classified as hazardous. They came in several batches via FedEx, Each was in an individual box. Their instructions were to use the return boxes and NOT to drop them off at FedEx. I called FedEx for a pickup and they were there the next day. Good Service.
Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #8
Crankster

Use the online registration, much more smooth than trying to talk to someone on the phone. "Is that ON or EN?" 4XB7? OH, D7... got it.."

Ship the recalled unit back in the box the replacement arrived. Attach enclosed paid return mailing label. Call the 1-800 number and they will schedule a pickup.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:06 PM   #9
Keith True

When word of this first came to me from the fire department,the memo said there were going to be instructions on how to dispose of the old ones.I guess they thought that one through and figured the everyday person might not want to tackle such a job.When I got the actual paperwork on them it was the instructions of how to send them back.We were told it's not the contents,but the pressure vessel that is makes it hazardous to ship.This is quite a recall,37 million in the US alone,and I forget how many million in Canada.These recalled units are dating back to 1971.I have a friend that called in about four,he had two that were under the recall.He whined that he was nervous about his other two,so they took those back too.I think they realized it was going to be the fastest way to get him off the phone.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:31 AM   #10
Bruce of MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic in E-TN View Post
I had Kidde send me a total of 15 new units for the recall. Fire extinguishers are classified as hazardous. They came in several batches via FedEx, Each was in an individual box. Their instructions were to use the return boxes and NOT to drop them off at FedEx. I called FedEx for a pickup and they were there the next day. Good Service.
Vic
I used the on-line option and dropped off the old one at a FedEx depot with no problem. The return label has the required hazardous notification.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:08 AM   #11
3.6rs

Did the model A originally had a fire extinghuiser when they were sold new in '28-'31 ?
If so, can someone post a picture ?
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:44 PM   #12
Crankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.6rs View Post
Did the model A originally had a fire extinghuiser when they were sold new in '28-'31 ?
They were an extra cost option at one point. Carbon Tetrachloride? Tough to get refills on that these days.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:46 PM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.6rs View Post
If so, can someone post a picture ?
You must be JOKING They even charged EXTRA, for the spare tire
Bill W.