Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2019, 12:20 AM   #1
bdtutton

Default LED Head Lamp Upgrade

Hello....It is about time to get my 1930 model A out and I decided to do some upgrades before I hit the road this spring. This morning I ordered (2) LED Head Lamp Bulbs Model #A-13007-LED from Snyder's. I have a strong 6v alternator so my original plan was to go with the halogen upgrades, but I decided to take a chance with the LEDs instead.

I have read several different opinions on the LED bulbs not working in a true high/low beam fashion. My thought is that if I can get LED lights working properly in low beam mode they will probably be five times brighter than the stock 6v lights on high beam...and that would be a big improvement. Just wondering if anyone has tried these particular bulbs with a stock 1930 setup.

Thanks....Bryan
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:17 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: LED Head Lamp Upgrade

There is a lot of information here, I put the word "dot" where the . should be; https://www.vintagefordforum dot com...can-be-focused
Old 03-12-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdtutton View Post
Just wondering if anyone has tried these particular bulbs with a stock 1930 setup.

Thanks....Bryan
Yes they have -

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ghts&showall=1

See video in post #26
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:04 PM   #4
KGBnut

I'm really interested in hearing what your impressions are once you have them and have driven with them for a while.

Ken
Old 03-12-2019, 11:45 PM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

The Logo Light LEDs have had positive reviews so far, but have just become available this winter. So most have not had a lot of driving time on them. Up until these have been available, most LED brands have not had favorable reviews for use on Model As. If you read the above links, a lot of info.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:55 PM   #6
bdtutton

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Just a follow up....I installed the new 6v LED headlights and realized one of the reflectors was not very reflective and the wiring to my headlights was backwards. After replacing a reflector and cleaning up the wiring mess I installed the new LEDs and adjusted them. The new 6v LED lights are bright, but you basically end up with a regular low beam and a much brighter low beam. Overall I am happy...the new bulbs use less juice and they are almost as bright as modern car headlights. Basically, I now have really bright low beams and that is fine because the car does not go fast enough to over drive them.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:50 AM   #7
The Master Cylinder

Thanks for the update.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:16 AM   #8
Garagekulture13

Thanks for the info. I just ordered some from Bratton's.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Garagekulture13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:43 PM   #9
Badpuppy

Quote:
Just a follow up....I installed the new 6v LED headlights and realized one of the reflectors was not very reflective and the wiring to my headlights was backwards. After replacing a reflector and cleaning up the wiring mess I installed the new LEDs and adjusted them. The new 6v LED lights are bright, but you basically end up with a regular low beam and a much brighter low beam. Overall I am happy...the new bulbs use less juice and they are almost as bright as modern car headlights. Basically, I now have really bright low beams and that is fine because the car does not go fast enough to over drive them.
Where did you buy them, as in what kind are they. The ones from Classic Dynamo don't pass inspection test, according to Karl. The ones from Logo Lites, Bratton's and Snyder's are too new to report on. There a some from https://www.ledlight.com/a-13007-d-a...ve-ground.aspx that are about $6 apiece that simply dim, rather than dip like a headlight bulb is required to do.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:35 PM   #10
CarlG

You can buy them direct from LogoLites or several of the usual vendors. Snyder's has them in their new catalog that I got this past week.

The LED headlights that I have in my pickup are from JDM Astar, and they work great. Unlike the Logolites, mine require the reflector that is designed for Halogen bulbs, which I already had.

The main benefit I see is that although the lights are much brighter (and white), the current draw is much less than the Halogens that I had. The Logolites would have been a much less expensive way to go, but they hadn't come out with them when I did mine. The Logolites have received great reviews on other sites.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #11
Vic in E-TN

CarlG:
I see that you have reflectors that are "designed" for Halogen bulbs. What are they and where did you get them?

Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #12
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic in E-TN View Post
CarlG:
I see that you have reflectors that are "designed" for Halogen bulbs. What are they and where did you get them?

Vic
They were made by Vintique, I bought them from Mac's about 8 or 9 years ago as a kit that included all the connectors and halogen bulbs (Same bulb as my 92 Explorer at the time). I see the same kits in the current Snyder's catalog.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:22 PM   #13
bdtutton

Just to clarify...The bulbs I purchased were the LED bulbs from Snyder's. I am using the standard reflectors and lenses. Have been using for a while and I am still happy. Basically they are just dimmer and brighter low beams. Many new cars have such bright low beams that even if I left the lights in the bright mode it would be less annoying than many modern cars.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:04 AM   #14
M2M

Quote:
Just to clarify...The bulbs I purchased were the LED bulbs from Snyder's. I am using the standard reflectors and lenses. Have been using for a while and I am still happy. Basically they are just dimmer and brighter low beams. Many new cars have such bright low beams that even if I left the lights in the bright mode it would be less annoying than many modern cars.

Serious reviews on the $60 a pair led headlights have given them the thumbs down as they cannot be focused to direct the light where in needs to be.

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:25 AM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
Serious reviews on the $60 a pair led headlights have given them the thumbs down as they cannot be focused to direct the light where in needs to be.

I am running a couple of sets in my own vehicles, and to be honest I am not so sure that focusing is all that big of a thing. I know what we are reading on the social media sites, but then again most of what is written is "He said / She said" stuff anyway.

The deal about the focusing is, you have one small line of a filament that is putting out 1/3 of the lumens as LED. Therefore to take advantage of that lesser amount of light, you need to be able to focus the beam to get the light to project the furthest. With the LED bulbs, there is about 300% more lumens and these diodes are projecting in a radial direction where the reflector directs/reflects the light forward. With the incandescent bulbs, you have one bright spot focused in the center and other light filling in around it at a lower intensity. You do not have that with the LED as the entire area is the same intensity.

So is one better than the other? IMO, if you are used to, -and prefer the original style beam, ...then you will not like the new LED light. If you like how most modern headlights just fill a whole area with the same amount of light, then you probably will like the new LED bulbs.

As I have stated elsewhere, my only dislike about them is they look funny when viewing them thru the lens. The biggest two or three things I do like about them is the bulbs are under $10, they produce a lot of lumens, and they are very easy on a generator electrical system.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:14 AM   #16
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I am running a couple of sets in my own vehicles, and to be honest I am not so sure that focusing is all that big of a thing. I know what we are reading on the social media sites, but then again most of what is written is "He said / She said" stuff anyway.

The deal about the focusing is, you have one small line of a filament that is putting out 1/3 of the lumens as LED. Therefore to take advantage of that lesser amount of light, you need to be able to focus the beam to get the light to project the furthest. With the LED bulbs, there is about 300% more lumens and these diodes are projecting in a radial direction where the reflector directs/reflects the light forward. With the incandescent bulbs, you have one bright spot focused in the center and other light filling in around it at a lower intensity. You do not have that with the LED as the entire area is the same intensity.

So is one better than the other? IMO, if you are used to, -and prefer the original style beam, ...then you will not like the new LED light. If you like how most modern headlights just fill a whole area with the same amount of light, then you probably will like the new LED bulbs.

As I have stated elsewhere, my only dislike about them is they look funny when viewing them thru the lens. The biggest two or three things I do like about them is the bulbs are under $10, they produce a lot of lumens, and they are very easy on a generator electrical system.

Even though I have not heard of any one being stopped and ticketed for running LEDs that can not be focused into a pattern, I am still concerned since there are laws ordinances about the headlights should be focused and put out a standardized beam pattern.

Most are reviewing the Logo Lights, $30 a bulb. You mention $10 bulb. What brand and where did you purchase LEDs for $10/bulb?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #17
whirnot

There are laws about lights being directed, or aimed, but I have never seen a le about lights being focused.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:43 AM   #18
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Most are reviewing the Logo Lights, $30 a bulb. You mention $10 bulb. What brand and where did you purchase LEDs for $10/bulb?
Brent may be referring to the single filament bulbs. I bought a pair of 9-segment bulbs to replace my 15CP taillights (I run an alternator) for under $10.
They're rated 200 lumens, which should be about the same. I installed one to compare it with the filament bulb, and it seemed less bright. I also didn't care for the asterisk pattern through the lens. But what nixed it for me was that viewed from the side, the lens behind the filament bulb glows a cheery red, whereas the one behind the led is dark. They're small enough (G6) to fit in my dome and dash sockets, so I'll try them there.

long discussion here - https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...led+headlights

Last edited by Badpuppy; 05-09-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:11 AM   #19
Sparky

I'm giving these a try, from Ledlight.com. (Actually I have the 12V, neg. ground version). No, they don't focus like the original bulb; it makes your headlights act more like a floodlight than a spotlight. But I don't care because I don't drive at night, and I use my headlights as daytime running lights for safety. Can't beat the price. You can choose a super-white 6000K color, or a warmer 3000K. I chose 3000K. I found that orientation in the socket makes a difference to the high/low beam light pattern; i.e. since the bayonet lugs are in line the bulb can be inserted in two positions 180 degrees apart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ledlight.JPG (23.0 KB, 119 views)
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #20
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Even though I have not heard of any one being stopped and ticketed for running LEDs that can not be focused into a pattern, I am still concerned since there are laws ordinances about the headlights should be focused and put out a standardized beam pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
There are laws about lights being directed, or aimed, but I have never seen a le about lights being focused.

My personal take on all of these comments and reviews, is it is just like candy or ice cream, ...some folks will tell you that ice cream or candy tastes great while others will tout that both candy and ice cream are bad for you. Most people do not focus their headlights anyway, so in some ways the point about lack of focusing is irrelevant. I have yet to have anyone complain (-verbally or by flashing their lights at me) about my LEDs. Again, I think using them is just a matter of deciding whether you feel they are a benefit or not.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote