Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2018, 01:34 PM   #1
truesdaleg

Default Tillotson Carburetor

Is there any real way to fix a leaking warped Tillotson carburetor, other than buying a Zenith?
truesdaleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #2
WHN

Default Re: Tillotson Carburetor

I’m going to open myself up for some negative comments, but!

Do yourself a favor. Get a new Zenith carburetor. Doing so will check off your list another potential performance problem with your car. You don’t want to keep visiting something over and over. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
Herb Concord Ca

To fix a warped Tillotson carb body, you have 2 choices both work well.
A) put fine sandpaper like 220 on a flat surface or piece of glass and work the body in a figure 8 pattern.
B) using a hose clamp, clamp the 2 bodies together without a gasket and put in an oven at 300 degrees for and 1 or 1.5 hours, turn off oven and let carb cool down with oven door closed.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #4
truesdaleg

Herb - It’s not the body that is warped. It’s the other part. I’ve tried all the methods, I’ve read about, but it still leaks, even with two gaskets. I’ll try the oven idea. ( Then, I will probably have to take WHN’s advice).
Old 08-16-2018, 09:42 PM   #5
Ernie Vitucci

A new Zenith is most likely the best. A rebuilt one from a major supplier is a good second and lower cost option...A Model B Carburetor and intake manifold is another good option and will give you a tad more power as it allows more air and fuel into the engine...I have used a B for years and love them. Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:00 PM   #6
Tom Endy

Before you throw that old Tillotson away salvage the brass float from it. It makes an excellent replacement for the cork or neoprene float in your gas tank attached to the fuel gauge mechanism as it will easily fit through the gauge opening in the tank.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #7
Redbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by truesdaleg View Post
Is there any real way to fix a leaking warped Tillotson carburetor, other than buying a Zenith?
So where is the leak?
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #8
Herb Concord Ca

Like Redbird asked, just where is the carb leaking and just what is "the other part"?
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #9
truesdaleg

It is leaking at the seam between the top and the body. I don’t really know, but I am assuming the top piece is the part that is warped. The top piece has protrusions on it, so you can’t sand it down flat on a glass plate, like you could the body.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:11 AM   #10
johnbuckley

the fuel level shouldn't reach as high as the join between top and lower body.... it should stay approx 1/2 -5/8 inch below ... maybe check your float valve and its gaskets are OK, check the float and its hinge are OK , and check the level you've got got the float set at before you ditch it. use the search within this website for more tilly info
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:21 AM   #11
JBill

Try two (or more?) gaskets. You'll have to tweak the float setting. Other than this tendency to warp, they're really very good carburetors.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #12
truesdaleg

I’ve tried the two gaskets, but I haven’t checked the float level. I will check that. Thanks for the advice. I really enjoy playing with my A, and trying to figure thing out for myself.
Y
Old 08-18-2018, 11:19 PM   #13
Fordfan29

I lived with a Tillotson for 29 years and it gave alittle better mileage that the Zeniths in our club on mileage runs. It also warped. There is nothing like opening the shop and be greeted by the smell of gasoline fumes. I used a flat file and dressed the gasket surface of the top part of the carb more than a time or two. It took time but was generally effective...Â…...for a while.

A club member claimed to be able to mill the gasket surfaces so they would seal properly but I never saw proof. He also only occasionally drove locally and at city speeds. He never really heated the engine bay like a long tour on a hot day will do.

After finding a very good Zenith 2 at a swap meet and being tired of filing pot metal I changed the carbs and have never regretted it. Buy a very good Tillotson and expect it to warp eventually of buy a Zenith and move on.
Fordfan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:35 PM   #14
truesdaleg

Fordfan29 - I thought that would be the best final solution.

Johnbuckley, in his response to my post, said the fuel level should not reach the seam between the top piece and the body. Did you try to adjust the fuel level when you were fighting the leaking problem?
Old 08-19-2018, 11:30 PM   #15
Fordfan29

I checked float level and talked to the local experts for any advice to solve my problem. Every one of the experts had a story about a leaking carb but no good suggestions for a cure. I never tried the oven bake solution. Everything would be acceptable for a while after I did some filing but eventually I'd smell gas again.
Fordfan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:24 AM   #16
BILL WILLIAMSON

Remember, they weren't made to last FOREVER??? They were made of "POT" metal, which is just the molten dregs of ALL kinds of metals, stirred into a "SOUP"---It was used to make decorative things, like Hood Ornaments, etc.---Kinda' like making SOUP, from all your LEFTOVERS & LOTS of water.
Bills' Kitchen
Old 08-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #17
tinkirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by truesdaleg View Post
i used two gaskets after sanding a flat service to make sure the base was flat, it worked and had no leaks

tinkirk
tinkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:43 PM   #18
truesdaleg

Thanks everybody. I’m going to put the “Zenith” fix on my 29 Roadstet. I guess I can learn to get along without the smell of gasoline in my garage.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:11 PM   #19
Busmoss

Recently Read this post. This information fixed my badly warped Tilly. But I will leave a hose clamp on the warped body until I can get some others to build. It looks silly but its going to hold me over. I sanded, filed, and scraped before trying the oven wish I could start over
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F913587D-3A60-40EF-BCD7-533578BF9E40.jpeg (109.8 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Busmoss; 01-16-2022 at 09:22 PM.
Busmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:31 AM   #20
tinkirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busmoss View Post
Recently Read this post. This information fixed my badly warped Tilly. But I will leave a hose clamp on the warped body until I can get some others to build. It looks silly but its going to hold me over. I sanded, filed, and scraped before trying the oven wish I could start over
hey what ever works, what you got too loose
tinkirk is offline   Reply With Quote