Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2021, 06:51 AM   #1
mike42

Default Difficulty Bleeding 1940 Brakes

Morning .....

I've been on here for the last 8 months asking for help on getting my brakes bled on 1940 Sedan. Still spongy, but I dod have brakes.

I don't know how many of you are Members of the Early V8 Club of America where they send out a V8 Times every two months. Well.....I just got mine yesterday and on Page #95...guess what..... a complete article regarding the same damn problem that I have been going through. It's almost word for word on things that I did you resolve the spongy brakes.

Maybe all you guys have known this, but.....on some of the Chinese made Shoes.......the prong that goes into the wheel cylinder slot is 3/8' too short !! also the brake lining is not in correct spot on the sub straight show frame. I will try to dig out the old shoes I took off, as the rears were the original shoes from 1940 and were never replaced.

The article says that one guy welded a tab on each shoe to extend the 3/8" shortage and I'm either going to buy new shoes or have this tab welded on.

I just thought I'd share this after all the crap I've been going through.

You all remember the Chinese....they're the ones who brought us Covid-19 !

Thx again and have a good morning

Mike ~
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:08 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Difficulty Bleeding 1940 Brakes

Mike, Thanks for posting that info.
At this point in the program considering all the grief you have gone thru with your brakes, try and buy some correct Henry Ford made brake shoes.
It will be worth the peace of mind.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:23 AM   #3
deuce_roadster

What 19Fordy said. If you can't find enough original shoes in your stash to be relined locally PM me and I will give you what you are missing. I used to have a guy who relined what look like brake shoes for winch brakes redo mine and he would bond some super lining on, but he retired. I am sure you can find someone who can do that in Michigan. Michael at 3rd Gen Automotive probably has new lining and rivets if nobody can bond them near you. I probably have some too. Check with Michael first.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:23 AM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Yes Mike, the shoe problem is well known and there have be a number of post (with photos) showing the issue. Another on is the wheel cylinders that are miss-drilled.

These issues were pointed out in a prior thread of yours: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=mike42&page=3

Post 37 & 41 point out the wheel cylinder issues and post 46 is about the brake shoe issue. For future reference, you would be way ahead of the game dealing with someone very knowledgeable in all of this, 3rd Gen parts (35fordtn).

Last edited by JSeery; 05-28-2021 at 11:07 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:02 AM   #5
V8COOPMAN

By golly, an easily-obtainable set of those "fancy-pants" reproduction Lincoln, Bendix-type backing plates (available at a 10% discount from Krylon32 for 'Barn members), produced by Boling Bros/MT Car Products, will not only take care of the ongoing parts BS, but they'll give you the braking efficiency that Henry only afforded for his "pricey" Lincoln Zeps.....and NOT for his 'lower-priced' Fords. Just sayin'....something to maybe think about! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:08 AM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Bendix brakes are SO much easier to deal with IMO.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:49 PM   #7
19Fordy

V8 and Mr. Seery are giving good advice. Years ago, I bought the complete Bolling Bros. brake set up for my 40 from Corn Huskers Rod and Custom) (Krylon on HAMB) and never looked back.
Be sure to save and reuse your rear hub bearings as the new repros. lack quality needed.

However, you might keep using your Lockheed brakes once you get the correct shoes. Then later on down the road go to Bolling Bros.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6096small.jpg (59.6 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5411 (Small).jpg (43.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5412 (Small).jpg (37.6 KB, 360 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5541 (Small).jpg (33.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5409 (Small).jpg (41.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5413 (Small).jpg (36.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-28-2021, 02:40 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

In reference to Jim's (19Fordy) pictures above, I just have to wonder what kind of personal charms Jim must possess that he's allowed to store all of his old car junk in the middle of Momma's beautiful, tiled kitchen floor! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 05-28-2021, 05:11 PM   #9
tubman

Hmm. I never had a problem with Ford Lockheed brakes, but I guess that was just because i used them in relatively light cars. A "T" Bucket and a '36 3-window.

I also used all new components; this was in the last century; perhaps parts availability has suffered since then.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:42 PM   #10
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Hmm. I never had a problem with Ford Lockheed brakes, but I guess that was just because i used them in relatively light cars. A "T" Bucket and a '36 3-window.

I also used all new components; this was in the last century; perhaps parts availability has suffered since then.
The biggest factor is that the Lockheeds don't have the "self-energizing" feature that the Bendix brakes have. Plus, you can get the Bendix with 2"-wide shoes, vs the 1.75"-wide Lockheeds. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 05-28-2021, 08:04 PM   #11
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
The biggest factor is that the Lockheed's don't have the "self-energizing" feature that the Bendix brakes have. Plus, you can get the Bendix with 2"-wide shoes, vs the 1.75"-wide Lockheed's. DD
I think it's all relative. When I grew up, hardly anybody had power brakes, so we were all used to a little extra pedal effort. I have had people that wanted to drive my '51 coupe, that has the best stock brake (Bendix) system I could install. Some of of them asked me what was wrong with my brakes, since it took so much pedal pressure to activate them. There was nothing wrong with the brakes, they had just never driven a car without power brakes.' I think it's the same with people who haven't driven cars without self-energizing brakes.

After having just driven my neighbors new BMW, I have to say that we are all spoiled by new cars.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 06:46 AM   #12
mike42

Guys thx for all the info. Tomorrow is the day I'll be tearing one of the rears off to see if they match the original Henry's. This ought to be fun. As I recall it was a bitch of a job with all the parking brake linkage, but I need to do it as I've got brakes, but spongy brakes.

Tubman.....I've had the car 10 years and I had solid non-power brakes before I got the brainstorm that it was time to install new. This all started early last October. Turned into a Drama though.

Thx all.....more news on the 11 o'clock report !!

Mike
Old 05-30-2021, 09:34 AM   #13
19Fordy

Mike, Be sure to release the E-Brake before you start taking things apart.
Also, take pictures and make notations. Here's a photo of the driver side rear set up.
I used a ball peen hammer to release tension on E-Brake cable. DON'T USE VISE GRIPS as it will fray your cable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7215smallbest.jpg (68.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7218small.jpg (88.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7220small.jpg (82.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7315small.jpg (42.2 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 05-30-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:28 PM   #14
cas3

If you have you're old shoes, ship them to brake and equipment in Minneapolis to be relined
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:40 PM   #15
russcc

I have plenty of original 39-41, and 42-48 shoes, and make a point of keeping the rivet type so I can rivet on the old type linings. As one old timer, (like me) said, "The stock old time brakes in the '40, properly adjusted will put you through the windshield" PM me if you need either of the two types of shoes. I will send them to you for shipping cost.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 03:16 PM   #16
mike42

UPDATE !!!!!!!!!! After 8 damn months....I have solid brakes or as solid as they can be for 81 years old. I took everything apart on the right rear to check the shoes against the original Ford shoes and they were exactly the same. I belt sanded the shoes to match the newly cut drum the best I could do. Cleaned everything again with a brush and brake cleaner and reassembled everything. I bought a Motive Pressure Bleeder and hooked it up dry. Held at 15 psi. Put 2 large cans of fluid in the tank and hooked up the adapter to seal the system. Pumped to 15 psi and watched the needle and it didn't move 1 psi....just cracked the bleed valve and a blast of air came out and then got a strong flow of fluid. Tightened it all up and low and behold....SOLID BRAKES !!!!!!! I cannot tell you how relieved I am.

I just want to say again thanks for everyone who pitched in with suggestions. I would never have been able to get through all this without all the suggestions and guidance. Very much appreciated.

Thanks to all.....Mike
Old 06-01-2021, 09:58 PM   #17
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Good work Mike!
Old 06-02-2021, 05:31 AM   #18
glennpm

Great Mike! Puts a smile on your face doesn't it?

Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:12 AM   #19
mike42

Glenn....there was a smile and a few Jack Daniels to go with it !!! Just sayin'.....!
Old 06-02-2021, 02:19 PM   #20
glennpm

Good to take pleasure when you can Mike!
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote