Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2021, 08:13 PM   #361
Terry Burtz, Calif

Default Re: The Terry Burtz 5 main bearing engine blocks are back on track.

Pasted below is the section of the "Builders Guide" that addresses the flywheel. The latest "Builders Guide" can be found under "Guides" at www.modelaengine.com

12) Flywheel
The optional 30 pound flywheel is machined to use the Ford V-8 9- inch Long design pressure plate (48-7563 or 09A-7563) and is balanced. We do not recommend the use of the 8N-7563 tractor pressure plate.
Make sure that the pressure plate is balanced separately from the flywheel. If the already balanced flywheel is needed as a holding fixture to balance the pressure plate, only take material off of the pressure plate to obtain balance. The new flywheel is machined to accept the original Ford shoulder bolts (350433-S) that attach the pressure plate to the flywheel. Longer 5/16-18 shoulder bolts can be used. Shoulder bolts are much stronger in shear than fully threaded bolts. These bolts should use lock washers and we recommend a torque of 18 lb-ft.
The new flywheel does not come with a ring gear installed because the beveled teeth on the ring gear need to be at the rear if using a Model A starter, and at the front if using a gear reduction starter.
We do not recommend the use of a "barrel" tractor starter drive instead of an original Bendix because the "barrel" drive has a shorter throw (distance that the pinion gear moves between rest and extension), and it will not engage the ring gear completely.
The new flywheel does not come with a pilot bearing because some people prefer the porous bronze oil impregnated bushing while others prefer a ball bearing.
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:34 AM   #362
hardtimes

Thanks Terry !
Having trouble getting info on WHO to contact , that is making the special bolts… for outside oiling system.
Got a name/ number for a guy ( nettles). The number is disconnected.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:18 PM   #363
hardtimes

Hey Mr Lampl ,
THANKS , for all you do for us !!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:20 PM   #364
Richard in Anaheim CA

Flywheels are being picked up in LA right now.

What is the word on engine batch 2 arrival ?

Dennis Kleason has driven his new Burtz engine across the country and halfway home in California and we hear he is "Broke Down".

It had nothing to do with our "Modern A", Burtz engines. It seems to have something to do with not having a Phillips screw driver to work on the coil. Dennis, better stick with those tried and true slotted screws Model A's came with.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:51 AM   #365
denniskliesen

I arrived home yesterday evening after making the trip to Oshkosh, WI MARC Convention 2021. From there I traveled to Plymouth, WI to Stipe Machine, Specialty Motor Cams. Continuing to the north end of Lake Michigan. From there I traveled down to the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners, MI. I traveled to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI where there were very few Model As and lot of other cars. I then traveled south stopping at the Corvette museum in Bowling Green, KY. From there to Alabama to visit family. Continued west to Colorado where my coil began to fail. I made it to about 100 miles from Denver where I got towed to Bert’s Model Store where I met Steve, and a big hats off to Steve for helping me get some parts provided to change and running. He also helped educate me on Colorado’s ethanol creating problems. From that point on I never had problems. None of the problems I had were with the Burtz block crank or rods. Currently I have over 6,300 miles on my new Burtz engine.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:15 PM   #366
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
I arrived home yesterday evening after making the trip to Oshkosh, WI MARC Convention 2021. From there I traveled to Plymouth, WI to Stipe Machine, Specialty Motor Cams. Continuing to the north end of Lake Michigan. From there I traveled down to the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners, MI. I traveled to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI where there were very few Model As and lot of other cars. I then traveled south stopping at the Corvette museum in Bowling Green, KY. From there to Alabama to visit family. Continued west to Colorado where my coil began to fail. I made it to about 100 miles from Denver where I got towed to Bert’s Model Store where I met Steve, and a big hats off to Steve for helping me get some parts provided to change and running. He also helped educate me on Colorado’s ethanol creating problems. From that point on I never had problems. None of the problems I had were with the Burtz block crank or rods. Currently I have over 6,300 miles on my new Burtz engine.
What was Steve’s recommendation or comments regarding the ethanol fuel?
Hitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:49 PM   #367
denniskliesen

Diesel fuel, in a small amount. The flash point is higher from diesel while gasoline is lower and the alcohol is even lower, add to that the ambient temperatures of 100° and higher complicates matters for a cast iron carburetor, cast iron intake, heated up from a cast iron exhaust bolted to it. Your results may differ where you live and the gas that’s available where you drive. On my trip whenever straight gasoline was available, and that was in more locations than I ever imagined there to be, then I bought the higher priced straight gasoline.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:44 PM   #368
Jeff/Illinois

The difference in performance with straight gasoline over the Ethanol laced junk is different as night and day.

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 08-02-2021 at 11:12 AM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:13 PM   #369
Vicky

Great Race Update: We had approximately 1,200 miles on our engine when we put the Vicky on the trailer to leave for the Great Race, and when we returned home, we had an an additional 3,100 miles. The Great Race mile were pretty intense, very hard acceleration to ~2500 RPM (can’t have a Tachometer) through First and Second gear, with numerous Speed changes, and periods of constant speeds. Each Stage (Day);of the race considered of 5 or 6 “Legs” where times were measured to the second. The Great Race consisted of a Trophy Run and 9 Stages, as we drove from San Antonio, Texas to Greenville, South Carolina. We finished the race 40th in a group of 128 participants.

The engine ran very well, no problems, I did add a half quart of oil mid-way through the race as a precaution, not a concern. We now have about 4500 miles on the engine, and we do have a very minor oil lead, a few drips from the rear main. After the first day, we did have a minor leak, either from a main bolt or the oil fill tube. I cleaned it off, and it did not return as I monitored it throughout the rally. I am not concerned with the minor leak, as noted, a half a quart in over 3,000 miles really isn’t a problem.

The engine has performed well. In San Antonio, the temperature was above 100 Degrees, and I think, with matching humidity. In freeway stop and go traffic, the temperature did get to 190-195 when stopped (we have 160 thermostat), and would cool to ~180 when moving with engine at higher RPM and more air movement. The engine ran cooler the rest of the rally as the ambient temperature was not as high, and we were constantly moving. The oil pressure throughout the rally was in the 20 to 30 PSI range, never a concern (Stipe Pump with an external Oil Filter). The engine starts right up, idles smooth, accelerates very well, and continues to run smoothly throughout different RPMS.

I’m a little disappointed we didn’t finish with a better score, I think the driver was the problem, not the engine. Great people and friends to spend time with.

I also visited a classmate and his 1941 Stearman. Yep, got to fly her!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2804A1DF-A1F5-4D48-A951-331D50598704.jpg (55.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 45D84E42-2716-4137-B74B-7FA088D0882B.jpg (60.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpeg C5513073-54FF-449B-8272-65CA50D44EA1.jpeg (161.0 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Vicky; 07-09-2021 at 12:05 PM.
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:17 AM   #370
GeneBob

Finishing in the top 1/3 is nothing to be disappointed about. You have accomplished a great achievement. What a great trip and proof of the durability of the new engine. The ride in the Stearman is icing on the cake!
And to everyone reading this, note those sponsors that make the race possible.
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:41 AM   #371
PleasantleaFarm

Vicky
Firstly, congratulations on the impressive results in the Great Race. The results speaks volumes on you ability to put together a solid car to achieve these results with no breakdowns. With the Stipe pump and external oil filter are you running and type of pcv system?

Last edited by PleasantleaFarm; 07-09-2021 at 11:57 AM.
PleasantleaFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:58 AM   #372
Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantleaFarm View Post
Vicky
With the stipe pump and external oil filter are you running and type of pcv system?
No, I did use a Model B Oil Fill Tube, which is a larger diameter. I think the initial oil leak from the tube or main bolt was caused by crankcase pressure, as the race progressed, the rings may have seated better, eliminating this problem.

Last edited by Vicky; 07-09-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:12 PM   #373
Jeff/Illinois

'Vicky' and Dennis have sure put that motor to the test. Thanks for posting your results.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:17 PM   #374
4bangerbob

Has there been any word if the August shipment is on the water?
4bangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:56 PM   #375
denniskliesen

Late August on the water. I was told that just yesterday.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:48 AM   #376
4bangerbob

Thank you, it is greatly appreciated
4bangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:11 PM   #377
Terry Burtz, Calif

Please have patience regarding the delivery of the 2nd production run of "New Engine Kits".

We are working with very large manufacturing facilities in China that typically have production runs of 10,000 parts or more.

Our orders are much smaller, but we are lucky to get the same modern alloys, heat treatment, machine tolerances, surface finishes, and Quality Assurance as the larger orders.

The 2nd production run of the "New Engine Kits" are being manufactured and hopefully, some will be "on the water" by August 20, 2021.

There is a shortage of shipping containers in China and it's hard to book passage on a ship.

The "New Engine Kits" will be disbursed from a warehouse in Hawthorne, CA for west coast customers and a warehouse in Franklin, KY for east coast customers. This is being done to save on shipping costs for our customers.

Once a container is "on the water", those at the top of the waiting list will receive an invoice that includes shipping and sales tax.

When the invoice is paid, the "New Engine Kit" will be released from the warehouse.

We abused the new engine at the 3rd party evaluator and it had no problems. See www.modelaengine.com for test results.

The "Builders Guide" found at www.modelaengine.com changes as engines are being built. Make sure that you are working to the latest revision. The latest revision is dated 26 July 2021.

Dennis Kliesen from Southern CA put one of the new engines in his 29 Tudor and drove to Oshkosh WI for the MARC National, visited relatives on the east coast, and then stopped in CO to see more family. His total trip was over 6700 miles with no problems. Dennis now has over 7800 miles on his engine.

Bob Beers used the new engine with a Steve Serr Miller head in the Great Race in car #35 and placed well. Bob has over 3400 miles on his new engine.

Dave Gerold (Durable Performance) in MN, is also using a Steve Serr head and has over 2500 trouble-free miles.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:07 AM   #378
Dodge

Thanks Terry for the update.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:16 PM   #379
Dan McEachern

Hi Terry- any plans or the possibility of consolidating or setting up a shipment from Hawthorne to Northern Ca? thanks!
Dan McEachern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:29 PM   #380
Terry Burtz, Calif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McEachern View Post
Hi Terry- any plans or the possibility of consolidating or setting up a shipment from Hawthorne to Northern Ca? thanks!
There are many ways to save money.

10 "New Engine Kits" were picked up by a member of our local Model A club (SCVC) from the warehouse in Hawthorne, CA to save on shipping.

Truck shipping to a commercial address is cheaper than shipping to a residential address.

Buying 5 or more "New Engine Kits" at a time will result in a discount.

Shipping many "New Engine Kits" at a time instead of one at a time will result in a discount.

Sales tax varies with each city in California. You are in Alameda and will have to pay 10.75% sales tax if the "New Engine Kit" is delivered to your home.

If you lived in Oregon, there is no sales tax.

If you are planning on making a trip to pick the "New Engine Kits" at the warehouse, I will commit to 7 "New Engine Kits".

Within 50 miles of your location, there are several Model a clubs and likely members that are on the list for a "New Engine Kit".

These clubs include: Acorn A's, El Camino A's, Diablo A's, Marin A's, Napa Valley A's, SF Bay Area A's, Sonoma A's, and Santa Clara Valley Chapter.

Please contact the clubs above to compile a list to save money.