Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
Gary in Mozarks

Default I wish I really understood.

Ive always messed with pickups and panel trucks so I have never really understood the delux vs standard thing. I understand that a 39 standard is alot like a 38 delux but whats the difference? when did it start and was it a last years model etc? How did it effect 34's 35's 36's I bet I'm not the only one that is confused.

Gary
Gary in Mozarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: I wish I really understood.

Usually it is trim package mostly, but body style can be different as well. 39 Standard and 38 Deluxe do look similar. 39 Deluxe has different grill and hood, well, whole front end sheet metal is different. On 34's Deluxe had cowl lights, wood grained dash, fancier garnish moldings, two tail lights usually. Things like that, too many to remember. I am sure someone will chime in and give you a better explanation. (Man, I wish this thing had a spell check. I have tried to down load the spell check several times but to no avail.)
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
PeteVS

This is how I understand it. I guess that starting with '32, there were standards and deluxe cars. Items such as right tail lights, cowl lights and other goodies were included on the deluxe models. Starting with '38, standard cars were styled differently than the deluxe cars with the styling resembling the previous year's car. They also only had only one taillight. With the '41s, styling was the same for both, but trim levels were different. I'm sure others will have a lot more to say.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
This is how I understand it. I guess that starting with '32, there were standards and deluxe cars. Items such as right tail lights, cowl lights and other goodies were included on the deluxe models. Starting with '38, standard cars were styled differently than the deluxe cars with the styling resembling the previous year's car. They also only had only one taillight. With the '41s, styling was the same for both, but trim levels were different. I'm sure others will have a lot more to say.
I think the Deluxe and Standard started with the Model A Ford.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
39 STD

Some of the difference between a 38 Deluxe & 39 Std. Juice brakes being the main one. Other small ones are hood side panels, grill, interior, hood latch, hubcaps, mostly cosmetic differences.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
Shadetree

I think this was a better idea by Ford that didn't catch on. I bet it confused everyone even back then and that is why they only did it for two years, 1939 and 1940. You can imagine what the parts guys thought about it. And too, why would you want to buy a new car that looked like last year's car back when they changed looks every year? I don't know of any other car manufacturer that did it.

It amazes me too the difference in value one year can make in today's market. `34-`35 for example.

Nowadays with the new cars it doesn't make much difference. They all look alike and at a distance I can't tell one from the other, let alone what year it is.

Shadetree
Old 08-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Usually it is trim package mostly, but body style can be different as well. 39 Standard and 38 Deluxe do look similar. 39 Deluxe has different grill and hood, well, whole front end sheet metal is different. On 34's Deluxe had cowl lights, wood grained dash, fancier garnish moldings, two tail lights usually. Things like that, too many to remember. I am sure someone will chime in and give you a better explanation. (Man, I wish this thing had a spell check. I have tried to down load the spell check several times but to no avail.)
Lawson, the spell check i use is the one on the Fordbarn it downloaded ok for me. i use it all the time. can't spell my way out of a paperbag
Brendan

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:01 AM   #8
ford38v8

OK, let's see if I can pull it all together here... First, I'm not sure about before 1932, so, starting from that point forward:

Trim items; a second windshield wiper; a second tail light; arm rests; hand straps; paint options; upholstery options; a second horn; cowl lights; these and more were on DeLuxe models with no body style changes up until 1938. Most of these items were available at the Dealerships, and many Standards were upgraded with one or more DeLuxe options. The open cars were not available in Standard trim after 1934.

Three years only, '38; '39; '40 had differing body styles in addition to the above listed differences. (Not all those differences for all the years)

Beginning in 1941, there was a single body style again, however, there were three trim levels, but without a "Standard", which was at that point forever banished from Fordspeak. The DeLuxe no longer had a Convertible, and was joined by a Super DeLuxe, and by a Special, which was devoid of everything that could be legally stripped from it. The Special was available as a Coupe; Tudor; or Fordor, in the color grey.

I hope it's just a bit clearer now!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
Jerry Parr WI

The confusion existed in Model A's also. Usually a deluxe had a different trim scheme, different upholstery, cowl lights and interior lights. Some of the items that were standard on the deluxe being available as accessories, like cowl lights. Commercial vehicles were less predictable. A 30/31 deluxe pickup used a different body than the standard pickup. Then you have vehicles like the Funeral Car and Town Car Delivery that have no standard version.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
OK, let's see if I can pull it all together here... First, I'm not sure about before 1932, so, starting from that point forward:

Trim items; a second windshield wiper; a second tail light; arm rests; hand straps; paint options; upholstery options; a second horn; cowl lights; these and more were on DeLuxe models with no body style changes up until 1938. Most of these items were available at the Dealerships, and many Standards were upgraded with one or more DeLuxe options. The open cars were not available in Standard trim after 1934.

Three years only, '38; '39; '40 had differing body styles in addition to the above listed differences. (Not all those differences for all the years)

Beginning in 1941, there was a single body style again, however, there were three trim levels, but without a "Standard", which was at that point forever banished from Fordspeak. The DeLuxe no longer had a Convertible, and was joined by a Super DeLuxe, and by a Special, which was devoid of everything that could be legally stripped from it. The Special was available as a Coupe; Tudor; or Fordor, in the color grey.

I hope it's just a bit clearer now!
Okay I have an added question regarding one year and one body style,the 36 roadster. Was it available rumble seat only or could it have been ordered with trunk? I think years before it could have been like Model A and 32,but I don't believe a 37 up rumble seat car(cabriolet) could have had a trunk .
Old 08-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
ford38v8

The '36 Roadster and Cabriolet both had rumbleseats. The Club Cabriolet had a trunk. 3W Coupes had the option of either. This applies to the North American Ford only, as the rule changes on other continents.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #12
Clem Clement

For the 39 peeekup, I think it was interior light, second wiper, chromeed windshield frame, maybe clock in glove box, extree womens in back
clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
ford38v8

Now then, that's a difference that makes a lot of sense! Extra women in the back! Clem, I think you just cleared up all remaining confusion!
Old 08-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #14
tdlmomowers

If we're going to add extra women, then give me a AA truckful.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #15
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Mozarks View Post
Ive always messed with pickups and panel trucks so I have never really understood the delux vs standard thing. I understand that a 39 standard is alot like a 38 delux but whats the difference? when did it start and was it a last years model etc? How did it effect 34's 35's 36's I bet I'm not the only one that is confused.

Gary
You might want to check out Gary Mallast's excellent 1938-1939 Ford Book available through the Early Ford V-8 Club of America.

TM
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #16
rotorwrench

If nothing else, Henry was shrewd. The Standard & Deluxe formats allowed him to market to both the liberal and the conservative customers with nearly the same basic car. For a few years there, it also allowed FoMoCo to keep using body dies and tooling for manufacture just a little longer with some parts carrying over to the next model year and so on. That was just the way ol Henry's mind worked. It made him a considerable fortune that's for sure.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #17
ford38v8

Kerby, Actually, there may be a little truth in that, even though the body parts themselves are not interchangable. The '37 hood, for instance, is just similar to the '38 Standard, and the same with the '38 to the '39 Standard. Sheet metal dies don't last forever, they get worn out due to the constant abrasive action in use, so perhaps a mild redesign took advantage of the old dies... just a guess here.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #18
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Kerby, Actually, there may be a little truth in that, even though the body parts themselves are not interchangable. The '37 hood, for instance, is just similar to the '38 Standard, and the same with the '38 to the '39 Standard. Sheet metal dies don't last forever, they get worn out due to the constant abrasive action in use, so perhaps a mild redesign took advantage of the old dies... just a guess here.
This is whaI have wondered. For instance the 1937 Ford front fenders had a much sharper peak on top then the following two years,as you just a hunch.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #19
JBD

Here's a pic of my 37 standard stake bed. Like Alan says deluxe's had a second windshield wiper, crome windshield trim, two horns, beauty rings I believe, bumber guards, etc. I did add some bumber guards so some so and so would ruin my nice grill! Nolan Cason give me a ford book that lays it all out. I can zerox a few pages if you wish. JBD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0554.jpg (76.5 KB, 6 views)
JBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #20
ford38v8

JBD, I'll bet that Nolan took more than just a passing interest in your truck! Beauty!
What book are you referring to?
Old 08-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #21
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBD View Post
Here's a pic of my 37 standard stake bed. Like Alan says deluxe's had a second windshield wiper, crome windshield trim, two horns, beauty rings I believe, bumber guards, etc. I did add some bumber guards so some so and so would ruin my nice grill! Nolan Cason give me a ford book that lays it all out. I can zerox a few pages if you wish. JBD
I know I must be missing something. Is "Bumber" a colloquialism for Bumper in some sections of the country? I have seen it used several times here by different folks.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #22
jimTN

One of the best investments a Ford person can make is in literature. There are several excellent books including those offered by the EV8 club that go into great detail on each Ford model 32 up. These days the average price hovers around 20K for even a sedan so as with anything worth the money, it pays to educate yourself as much as possible. These asre valuable assets we own and well worth the best of care.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #23
ford38v8

Lawson, watch out. Roo called me the spelling nazi the other day and i'd even misspelled Aussie.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #24
Lawson Cox

Hey, I'm not picking on anyone's spelling. I am just asking clarification of a word that is apparently spelled properly. lol