Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2021, 09:57 AM   #1
rfitzpatrick

Default Taxi

Friend has '29 Taxi. The meter/speedometer run off the transmission by the way of a "Y" connection. The speedometer operates, but not the meter, and he's shy about diving into this. Where might I find information I would then share with our Club Mechanic about this meter? I've found nothing off an Internet Search. I'd like to see it operate, it's really neat!!
Thanks Guys
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 02:02 PM   #2
Cape Codder

Default Re: Taxi

Is it possible to connect the "Y" side that goes to the speedometer to the meter?
Can the "Y" be taken apart?
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 02:52 PM   #3
rfitzpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Is it possible to connect the "Y" side that goes to the speedometer to the meter?
Can the "Y" be taken apart?

That might work. After looking into it further, suggested might have to do a "Flag-Drop" (as if takin' passengners?). The "Y" connection is right there too. I'll pass this along, but the Club Mechanic was told to just get it running, customer wants to drive it. It's got all the taxi lites/paint and I like it -- the meter is mounted on the railing there at the right side with no extra holes drilled I can see
Thanks
Old 05-25-2021, 05:09 PM   #4
Cape Codder

Any Pictures of Meter / Car? I'm sure most everyone would like to see!
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:26 PM   #5
rfitzpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Any Pictures of Meter / Car? I'm sure most everyone would like to see!

I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow. The shop is small, lighting is picture-poor, the Club Mechanic might be finished, the customer might have takin' it home.
I'll try to talk him to switch the cables too. The only meter I could find Internet: Cabometer. The one at the shop is large

This sure is a neat Hobby
Old 05-26-2021, 12:21 AM   #6
Brad in Germany

Mine has an accessory slitter that just bolts onto the standard Model A speedometer drive gear cap, where the speedometer cable normally would bolt on to the drive gear. The speedometer cable then just attaches to the end of the splitter and the taxi meter cable attaches to one of the drive shafts coming out of the side of the splitter.

Here is a photo of the splitter on my car, but note that the meter cable is not attached to it (I do not have a meter installed):

It sounds to me like the drive splitter on your car has maybe stripped a gear or is loose in some way? If the taxi meter cable binds (oil solidified due to age from just sitting maybe or the meter mechanism jammed inside the meter), that is a common problem. To service the splitter, you should be able to to just remove the drive splitter from the speedometer cap and screw the speedometer cable end in place directly on the speedometer gear cap (the taxi meter cable would just be loose (not attached))....then just service the splitter.

Here's an original (restored) Ford Model A taxi meter. Is this the one in the taxi?

.....my $0.02,
Brad in Maryland
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_3685.jpg (33.5 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_36a2.jpg (30.9 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_36a4.jpg (37.4 KB, 136 views)
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:27 AM   #7
rfitzpatrick

Darn! The Club Mechanic finished with the Taxi yesterday. Now the story behind all of this: This New Jersey Family just relocated to South Florida with a Taxi, a Budd and a '29 Tudor that they are the original family. They will be joining our Model A Club and so access is delayed. Mechanic would only work on the car per the owners wishes, so, he avoided the meter. The Budd was really neat (I have one), but the owner wanted the artifical leather covering installed on the top. I've not seem the Tudor -- the Budd is back with a blown headgasket. All three have been in storage for quite awhile.

Brad: NO the meter doesn't look like yours. I'll surely get pictures when he shows up, he's not yet a member. I've not seen the Tudor.

Thanks