Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2016, 10:39 PM   #1
tubman

Default Edmunds Custom 8BA heads

A couple of years ago, I came across a set of "Edmunds Custom" heads for the '51 Merc engine I'm getting ready to put in my '51 Ford club coupe. Somewhere along the way, I became aware that these heads have the spark plugs relocated to the transfer area away from the valves. I believe it was "Ol' Ron" who first made me aware of this. One of the benefits of this is the ability to run extended tip plugs. This seemed like a good idea to me so I started to investigate the possibilities. In the end, I purchased a set of Champion "L82YC" plugs ("Y"=extended tip) plugs to use in these heads. It looks like they are going to work fine. The first picture shows a shot down the plug hole in these heads. As you can see, the valves cannot be seen through the plug hole. the remaining pictures show the relationship of the plugs electrodes to the heads as compared to a regular, non-extended tip "L" series Champion plug. As is obvious, the bottom electrode is well up into the combustion chambers even with the extended tip plug. There is no interference between the plug, valves or anything else. I am not sure that I have the proper heat range plugs, but it looks like everything else will work out fine. I am looking forward to see how this works out in real life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0762.jpg (56.8 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0756.jpg (52.4 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0760.jpg (57.6 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0759.jpg (74.9 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0764.jpg (35.9 KB, 284 views)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Edmunds Custom 8BA heads

Now, if you want to start experimenting, put an AF meter in the exhaust and begin the tuning process. You can lean it way out in cruise 16:1, but the ignition is the key here. also the power valve must come in early. Not sure the standard 94/97 can do it. We've had the best luck with the Edelbrock 500. Takes awile but Richard gor 22 from a 276/L-100 in an adverage 33% interstate/66% local test I'm trying to do better with a stocker. Join the club.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:59 PM   #3
tubman

Ron, I'm planning on running a 2GC on a bored out aluminum Canadian Mercury manifold to start out. If that doesn't work out, I have Fenton and Edmunds 4BBL manifolds with a WCFB and a Rochester 4Jet I can try, as well as several dual manifolds (I don't like modern carbs or triples). I am running a converted vacuum over mechanical SBC dual point Mallory distributor. I am running the stock Merc cam (this is a relatively heavy car) and have finally gotten the heads massaged to give 8.3 compression with .040-.045 squish with equal sized combustion chambers (not easy with Edmunds castings).
Old 07-21-2016, 07:57 AM   #4
Bored&Stroked

That is a good squish height - should run well. I'd also check the plugs when you're leaning it out - if the plating is starting to come off on the edges of the plug that are in the chamber (the sharp edges), you know you're getting way too hot/lean in the chamber. It is hard to read color these days - seems the fuel mixtures we're using just don't burn like the old days . . . nice chocolate colors and all that jazz, rarely happen. Having an AFR meter and really paying attention to pinging/detonation is key. Also, having the enrichment circuits come in early will help prevent the detonation when the load starts to increase. Like Ron said, probably hard to do with a 97 - it has no "load sensor". I'll bet it could be done with a 94, 2100 or 2110 Holley (due to power valves). I'd also want my accel pump to start squirting as soon as possible - for the same reason.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:03 AM   #5
tubman

Thanks for the input. Luckily, I'm in the Brainerd/Lakes area where just about every station has non-alcohol gas. As a long time snowmobiler, I've gotten pretty good at reading plugs. This is one of the reasons I have so many different carburation options "on the shelf".

The color of the used plug in my fourth picture is the color I like to see; what do you think?
Old 07-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #6
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Thanks for the input. Luckily, I'm in the Brainerd/Lakes area where just about every station has non-alcohol gas. As a long time snowmobiler, I've gotten pretty good at reading plugs. This is one of the reasons I have so many different carburation options "on the shelf".

The color of the used plug in my fourth picture is the color I like to see; what do you think?
Looks about right - though a bit shiny (oil on it?). If you don't deliberately shut it off and put the clutch in, then the plugs get washed down with fuel and it really means nothing. One pretty much has to deliberately test, shut-off, coast and check them (which I'm sure you're doing). If I let my car slow down, idle and come to a stop - have no clue what the plugs are telling me. I'm a big believer in AFR meters, worth the money and hassle.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #7
Tim Ayers

Curious on the AFR meter. Do you weld in a bung somewhere in the exhaust system to get the reading?
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:42 AM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Curious on the AFR meter. Do you weld in a bung somewhere in the exhaust system to get the reading?
Check out B & S post #19 in this recent thread: https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200703

I have installed and used a lot of A/F meters in modern engines using turbochargers, but not in a flathead. In modern applications the distance from the exhaust valve is specified in the installation instructions.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #9
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Looks about right - though a bit shiny (oil on it?). If you don't deliberately shut it off and put the clutch in, then the plugs get washed down with fuel and it really means nothing. One pretty much has to deliberately test, shut-off, coast and check them (which I'm sure you're doing). If I let my car slow down, idle and come to a stop - have no clue what the plugs are telling me. I'm a big believer in AFR meters, worth the money and hassle.
IIRC, that plug came out of a snowmobile (2 cycle); that would explain the oil.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:35 AM   #10
Bored&Stroked

O2/AFR Sensor Bungs:

Here is a little article on installation - will give you some details on how far back, angle of the sensor (keeping water out of it), etc.

One of the most important things is to have no air leaks or "draw in" sources ahead of it. This is why I'm welding flanges onto my 32 headers and using gaskets between the ends of the headers and the tailpipe extensions - don't want a crappy 'slip fit' like I used to have on my old Belond headers on my 34.

Given that the flathead exhaust valve is up in the block, putting the bungs somewhere around 30 - 36" back from the rear cylinder would be about right.

You can buy the raw steel bungs from a variety of places (with the plugs) - I usually buy mine at Jegs or Summit.

As noted, I'll report back on some dyno and O2 sensor tests this fall - are really interested in dyno testing/tuning with my dual Stromberg 48's, then a set of Holley 2110's and hopefully a set of the BIG 97's from Clive.

B&S

LsuInstal.pdf
Old 07-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #11
38 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I use a setup that clamps to the exhaust pipe. I can move my AFR meter from car to car.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Inno...h-CrAQ_AUICCgD
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:00 PM   #12
tubman

Here's an update on this. I have three years and 4000 miles on the original plugs in this engine. The car has run great during this whole period, so well in fact, that I had forgotten about the experiment with these plugs. I had occasion to pull a couple of plugs the other day and the color looks very good. I have had no problem with the gap closing up, so I have to believe the combination of Edmunds heads and extended tip plugs is a winner.

Food for thought.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:14 PM   #13
cadillac512

That's great,Tubman! How's fuel mileage (and power) been with your setup?

Terry
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:45 AM   #14
Ol' Ron

Always like to hear about good things. I'm surprised that the aftermarket hasn't followed suit. It's just logical.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:50 AM   #15
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac512 View Post
That's great,Tubman! How's fuel mileage (and power) been with your setup?

Terry
Power is adequate. I really want to take this down to "run what you brung" some Wednesday night at BIR to get a quarter mile time but can't fit it into my schedule. In the real world, when I leave my complex, there is a pretty steep hill about a quarter mile long. The speed limit in the area is 45, changing to 55 at the top of the hill. Doing a regular start from the stop sign at the bottom of the hill and driving normally (no "pedal to the metal" or speed-shifting), I can be at 55 when I hit the top of the hill, steadily accelerating (most of the time in high gear).

As to fuel economy, it's kind of disappointing; I get about 14 mpg around town. That's terrible when compared to just about any modern car, but every shoebox Ford I've had in the last 60 years got about 14 mpg in town. I did take one road trip of about 250 miles, most of it on the interstate at 60-65 mph, and got 19 mpg. This is in a car with 3.55 gears and no overdrive.

Bottom line, the car is completely adequate for any kind of driving I do. I couldn't say that about the car when it had the stock engine in it (which was a little tired).
Old 09-04-2023, 06:03 PM   #16
tubman

I can't believe that's it's been over seven years since my initial post. It's now run almost 14,000 miles and over 7 years on the original set of plugs, and it still runs great, starts instantly, and performs well.

BTW : I just scored another very nice set of used 8BA Edmunds heads off eBay last week. Minor corrosion, no broken fins; the only problem is one of the coils bolts is broken off. I look at 'em all and took a chance on these and lucked out.

They're still out there, but getting expensive.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:14 PM   #17
Pete

I would not change a thing for what you use the car for.

If you ever want to try something easy, substitute a set of 1/8 SOLID copper plug washers for what you have.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 10:49 PM   #18
tubman

Pete,

I'm curious about your thoughts behind the thicker plug washers. I would think that would just pull the plugs further up in the heads, which is what I was trying to avoid.

I'm always willing to learn from the pros, though.
Old 09-05-2023, 02:55 PM   #19
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Pete,

I'm curious about your thoughts behind the thicker plug washers. I would think that would just pull the plugs further up in the heads, which is what I was trying to avoid.

I'm always willing to learn from the pros, though.
I see in the picture that the rim of the plug is about 1/16 above the head surface. Ideally it should be flush.
Counting 1/16 for the current washer and the 1/16 to move up, a 1/8 solid washer should fix it. Solid washers transfer heat better and are available in various thickness.
Unless you just like to tinker, I would leave well enough alone though.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 03:46 PM   #20
tubman

Although I like to tinker, I think I'll take your advice and "leave well enough alone".