Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2015, 02:10 PM   #21
Bill in Al

Default Re: '67 Fairlane gas gage reading wrong

Hank has the answer.See if any other gauges seem to be off also.You can usually tell because of an incorrect temp. reading. Good luck!
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:32 PM   #22
morrisgauge

The gauge does not ground through the mountplate. It is a King Seeley bi-metallic thermal and grounds through the sender. If the sender works when hooked up out of the tank, has the same dimensions/ohms as the original sender and has a good ground, I'm a little stumped. Is this the lock ring style retainer? If so, is there an indexing notch on the mount flange?
morrisgauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:07 PM   #23
Roger V

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisgauge View Post
The gauge does not ground through the mountplate. It is a King Seeley bi-metallic thermal and grounds through the sender. If the sender works when hooked up out of the tank, has the same dimensions/ohms as the original sender and has a good ground, I'm a little stumped. Is this the lock ring style retainer? If so, is there an indexing notch on the mount flange?
It is the lock ring style retainer. Don't know about an indexing notch. Will look the next time I put it on the lift.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #24
morrisgauge

If it doesn't have an indexing notch, it is possible that the sender is clocked some degrees and the float is hitting some baffle, but that likely would not give you the 1/2 at full and empty at one half readings. I think you have the wrong ohm range.

www.morrisgauge.com
Old 06-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #25
Roger V

Agree that it could be cocked yet more ok at a lower position. Since the ohm reading was not taken nor can I find what if any spec for the repro, I still come back to the gage reading correctly with the sending unit out of the tank. And the mystery continues.......
Old 06-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #26
Roger V

Here is a link to the specific sending unit I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-1969-Fa...3D231098368185 I don't see a locating notch so it must be at the mercy of being oriented vertically. I have a lot of faith in Tom who installed it as he owned a auto repair business for years besides being into Fords of this era.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #27
morrisgauge

I sent them a message to check the ohm range spec and it should be the correct 78-10 ohms. The only thing I can think of, currently, is to ask if the sender and gauge were tested through the entire range before installation? Maybe the rheostat winding has some open "dead spots" where the ohms vary. I have found on the Taiwan senders, that the armature can be very loose and have no secondary ground connection for said armature.

www.morrisgauge.com
Old 06-02-2015, 10:02 PM   #28
Roger V

For what I recall, the float arm was slowly moved from empty to full and the gage moved steadily. Here's a pic though not real clear of the sending unit. It appears to be vertically installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gas sending unit.JPG (45.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #29
morrisgauge

Hmm. Let's take a step back for a second. You have a 67 Fairlane, that has the big rectangle cluster with just a fuel gauge or do you have a temp gauge as well? I think the model before had a round windowed cluster with temp and fuel.

www.morrisgauge.com
Old 06-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #30
Roger V

It has the rectangular cluster with no factory temp gauge. The former owner installed a under dash temp gauge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fairlane dash.JPG (46.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #31
morrisgauge

Ok. Just making sure we're on the same page. When you had said your temp gauge was working fine, it led me to think of the other style cluster. That would only change the idea of the instrument voltage regulator being good/bad based on the secondary gauge function. Either way, if the gauge tested ok with the sender out of the tank then bad in the tank, we're still in the same spot. I'd say send them to us to bench test, but with the shipping, etc. you might be better inclined to try a replacement sender first.

www.morrisgauge.com