Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2015, 02:54 PM   #21
jthomas6

Default Re: Model A touring engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdave_mcc View Post
Sorry to bring this thread back up, but im wondering if joe at Turlock is still operating. Im looking for an engine builder and cant really find much info on him or the shop.
I don't know if you are aware, but there's a engine builder about 6 hours from you.

www.model-a-ford-4bangers.com James Roger's Dreamwerks Model A & B Ford Engines (North Carolina)

I have no dealings (never met the gentleman), just thought it might be a lot closer for you.

Joe
jthomas6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #22
ModAfan

I see no mention of J&M Machine Company. Anyone with first-hand experience?
ModAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #23
bdave_mcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas6 View Post
I don't know if you are aware, but there's a engine builder about 6 hours from you.

www.model-a-ford-4bangers.com James Roger's Dreamwerks Model A & B Ford Engines (North Carolina)

I have no dealings (never met the gentleman), just thought it might be a lot closer for you.

Joe
Thanks joe, I've looked at all these different guys websites. I'm going to be building a moderately hot engine so I'm thinking I should go with an insert bearing engine. I don't believe james does that...james if you read this and can chime in with some info it would be welcomed. It's still in the air I guess as far as what builder I'll try to use as this will be the first one for me and little experience.

Second note. I was able to get in touch with joe at Turlock machine and he's doing business as usual. Evidently just not selling on eBay much. Seemed like he was staying pretty busy. Very nice guy, with plenty of info. Prices were up there though
bdave_mcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #24
JohnLaVoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdave_mcc View Post
Sorry to bring this thread back up, but im wondering if joe at Turlock is still operating. Im looking for an engine builder and cant really find much info on him or the shop.
I stopped by his shop in January he was still working then. Seemed like he was going to be operating for awhile. He is building an engine for a friend of mine so I'm sure I would have heard from my friend that he was closed if that had happened. I have two other friends that have engines from him and are quite happy with his work.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #25
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

http://www.antiqueenginerebuilding.com/Ahwy.html
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:59 PM   #26
LopezCarguy

Have just installed and driving a "touring" engine built by Joe Sivils at Terlock Machine..it runs smoother than a pigs nose...Joe is easy to deal with and helpful regarding modifications...
Old 05-30-2015, 01:23 AM   #27
PC/SR

Over the past few year what is called a "touring engine" has become more a marketing term than what you get for your engine. This thread shows a number of different modifications that are all called touring engines.
Actually, the stock Model A is a fine "touring" engine. We hear they have gone to Alaska, across Australia, the length of New Zealand, and about anywhere else in the world. The only requisite is that they be in good condition.
It depends on what you want from your car. If you want a little more zip, add a Snyders head and a downdraft carb. Cheap and easy to do. Add a Stipe B cam and you are good. You will beat your buddies up the hill and all is well.
With all due respect to the guys who do it, full pressure oil is not needed unless you regularly go over 3500-4000 rpm for prolonged periods and there is no reason to pay for it. If you are going to Bonneville, definitely get full pressure oil.
If you go above the basic modifications, ie, head, carb, mild cam, get Jim Brierely's book and decide what you want to do and what you want your engine to be.
Most of all, decide what kind of "touring" you want to, do the research, and make your decisions from there.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:44 AM   #28
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Thumbs up Re: Model A touring engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC/SR View Post
Over the past few year what is called a "touring engine" has become more a marketing term than what you get for your engine. This thread shows a number of different modifications that are all called touring engines.
Actually, the stock Model A is a fine "touring" engine. We hear they have gone to Alaska, across Australia, the length of New Zealand, and about anywhere else in the world. The only requisite is that they be in good condition.
It depends on what you want from your car. If you want a little more zip, add a Snyders head and a downdraft carb. Cheap and easy to do. Add a Stipe B cam and you are good. You will beat your buddies up the hill and all is well.
With all due respect to the guys who do it, full pressure oil is not needed unless you regularly go over 3500-4000 rpm for prolonged periods and there is no reason to pay for it. If you are going to Bonneville, definitely get full pressure oil.
If you go above the basic modifications, ie, head, carb, mild cam, get Jim Brierely's book and decide what you want to do and what you want your engine to be.
Most of all, decide what kind of "touring" you want to, do the research, and make your decisions from there.
I wish there was a like button for this post.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:15 PM   #29
Bill in Al

What is considered a safe RPM for a "touring" engine to turn at a top cruising speed?
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:29 PM   #30
Mike/Nebraska

Are Bert's engines babbitt or insert? Any idea about their prices?
Mike/Nebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #31
CarlG

This, according to Bert's online catalog:

Quote:
A-6005-B Rebuilt Inserted Model A Short Block- Exchange $3,150.00

Rebuilt Counterbalanced Inserted Short Block Model A Engine with inserted main bearings, inserted rod bearings in new USA Made rods. Comes with reground cam, USA made aluminum cam gear, counterbalanced crank and crank gear, rods , pistons and complete valve train with straight valves. Sold exchange- must have crack free block for exchange or $500 core charge will be assessed. We build good engines. Please call for more details. Built in house here at Bert's. Also available with new stipe cam ($400), and we can build it as a long block.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote