Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2020, 12:40 AM   #41
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Wheels, would like opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMMuir View Post
So,

I would like to find 16" wheels, preferably 6 inch or so wide. That way I can keep the original look and actually put a little bit of tire under there.

Anyone know a source? I would like the trim rings and centers I have to still work.
What you WANT to do is a great idea....you and hundreds of other guys! But it ain't quite that easy. The 16 X 4-1/2" wheels (of this style that accept the '40-type hub caps) were the widest that were generally found on Ford cars. There were a VERY FEW 5"-wide 16"-ers on some select '41-ish Mercurys, but these wheels are so hard to find any more that they are almost as rare as chicken lips. Try these folks in Montana that get one or two every now and then. In fact, their January ad in the link below states that they MIGHT still have two of the 5"-wide 16"-ers available, but $200/ea? Link below!

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...mercury+wheels

Believe me, the 4-1/2"-wide 16" wheels are plenty wide enough for even the 7.50-R16 tires on the rear of this '36 coupe. Those are 5.50-R16s on 4"-wide wheels on the front. DD

One more closer picture of that rear 7.50-R16 on a 4-1/2" wheel on the same car. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:57 AM   #42
V8COOPMAN

Oops!

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 08-29-2020, 07:29 AM   #43
tubman

I thought I saw someplace on the H.A.M.B. that there are some wider 16" Toyota truck wheels (from a Landcruiser, perhaps?) where the rims fit an early Ford center perfectly. Perhaps you can make your own.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:16 AM   #44
joe 1950

Just my opinion a friend of mine has a 40 cpe with 16 inch wheels painted color of the body and 3 stripes as was stated and radials drives like a dream also the best thing i ever did was put radials on my 50 cpe those crack chasing bias plys are for showing
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:18 AM   #45
DMMuir

I may have to do just that. I will have to look for some 4.5 wide wheels I guess. Mu luck to have 7 4" wheels and the 4 15's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post

Believe me, the 4-1/2"-wide 16" wheels are plenty wide enough for even the 7.50-R16 tires on the rear of this '36 coupe. Those are 5.50-R16s on 4"-wide wheels on the front. DD

One more closer picture of that rear 7.50-R16 on a 4-1/2" wheel on the same car. DD

DMMuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:22 AM   #46
DMMuir

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe 1950 View Post
Just my opinion a friend of mine has a 40 cpe with 16 inch wheels painted color of the body and 3 stripes as was stated and radials drives like a dream also the best thing i ever did was put radials on my 50 cpe those crack chasing bias plys are for showing
I want to keep mine original but drivable. I have no plans to put bias on it. Radials are and will be installed and people can live with the inconsistency. If I ever want it in a period correct contest I will find some used/worn out cheap bias and toss on spare rims... She won't win a beauty contest with 80 year old paint and interior, but it's pretty amazing that it's all survived this long as is.New pretty bias tires wouldn't fit her faded and worn image anyway.

Last edited by DMMuir; 08-29-2020 at 11:36 AM.
DMMuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #47
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe 1950 View Post
"Crack-Chasin' Bias Plys".....that's a term that should be 'highlighted' on the first page of every old car guy's notebook! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 08-29-2020, 11:14 PM   #48
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I thought I saw someplace on the H.A.M.B. that there are some wider 16" Toyota truck wheels (from a Landcruiser, perhaps?) where the rims fit an early Ford center perfectly. Perhaps you can make your own.
These are the rare non USA 16" toyota landcruiser wheels from the 45 series pickups, but they are multi-piece lock ring wheels and all landcruisers have been 6 bolt on 5.5. They do interchange nicely with chevy wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mj4.jpg (78.9 KB, 64 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:48 PM   #49
V8COOPMAN

I see that you've got your Christmas lights up early this year. Does this mean that you've got your Christmas shopping finished also? DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 08-30-2020, 10:21 AM   #50
GB SISSON

They give the swallows a place to roost instead of the wires to the ceiling lamps above the woodie.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote