Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2017, 01:54 PM   #1

Default Dry Gas?

Does anyone put Dry Gas in their gas tank, due to the car not being used every day during the winter. Just wondering, because the Carb wasn't running that well today, maybe due to some water in the tank.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #2
Jason in TX

Default Re: Dry Gas?

Sediment may have settled in your tank after sitting and may have been sucked into the carburetor, blocking something. Just a thought.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Isn't "Dry Gas" just about the same stuff as ethanol, something I hate?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
Roadster Rich

I use SeaFoam with my gas. The corn crap in the gas will absorb moisture if it is left long enough. Then you have a layer of water in your tank. Using some of the additives will hold that moisture in the ethanol I think. Dry Gas is only good for combining with water in your tank and keeping it from freezing up in your system. It still means that you will pull the water through with your fuel. I always used some periodically in the winter, in my normal driving cars when I lived in New England. I don't see any reason to use dry gas, but using some of the additives that keep the ethanol from absorbing humidity would be good if the gas will sit for long.
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:09 PM   #5
Chippy Minton

I use E10 gas in all my motorised things; cars, motorbike, lawn mowers, strimmer, chainsaw, quad and outboard motor. Even after standing all winter I have never had trouble with water in the fuel with any of them. Too much gets blamed on petrol/ethanol fuel.
Chippy Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:26 PM   #6
TerryH

I agree.....I would much prefer not to have ethanol at all, but it has become the de facto whipping boy for many Model A and other ailments. Those of us in California and other states that have no other options have learned to live with it and cast a wary eye at all the allegations.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #7
bobusnick104

Dry gas is ethanol. I don't think you'll need it as the ethanol in the fuel already is picking up moisture. It will settle out over time. Look on the internet on how to remove ethanol from your gas. Add water!
Old 03-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #8
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobusnick104 View Post
Dry gas is ethanol. I don't think you'll need it as the ethanol in the fuel already is picking up moisture. It will settle out over time. Look on the internet on how to remove ethanol from your gas. Add water!
Well, if it says that on the internet...it MUST be true

DryGas, Heet, etc, is an alcohol based additive (usually methanol or isopropyl alcohol) that puts the water in the fuel in suspension to keep it from freezing. It is also useful to absorb water in the tank so that the water doesn't go to the bottom causing non running and damage to the tank.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_gas

The ethanol in today's gas does much the same thing. It keeps any water that gets into the tank in suspension so that fuel lines have less of a chance of freezing up and so the water doesn't collect at the bottom of the tank.

BTW, those that complain about ethanol ruining tank bottoms and in tank fuel pumps have it backwards. Without ethanol (or a substitute) water will collect at the bottom of the tank and destroy the tank and anything else at the bottom eventually. This can happen when using non ethanol fuel and not putting DryGas or Heet in the tank when storing the car. It can also happen if the amount of water that gets in the tank (generally through condensation) is more than the ethanol can absorb. The excess water goes directly to the bottom since water is heavier than fuel.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #9
H. L. Chauvin

Dry Gas.

Years ago this was a military term used to describe dangerous static electricity compared with very low relative humidity; i.e.:

A nicer way to describe it was:

"As dry as flatulence created from eating Pop Corn!"
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #10
Mikeinnj

You did not state how old the gas in your tank is.

Ethanol can break down in as short as three months time and cause carburator problems that dry gas will not cure.

Last edited by Mikeinnj; 03-14-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:42 PM   #11
1931 flamingo

Ever notice and wonder about all the new and used car dealer's lots all over the country?? Why they don't have fuel problems?? Many dealers have cars sitting for 3+ months, usually unstarted, unmoved. Just a thought.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:21 PM   #12
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
You did not state how old the gas in your tank is.

Ethanol can break down in as short as three months time and cause carburator problems that dry gas will not cure.
Do you have a link showing that ethanol "breaks down"? What does it become when it breaks down? What carburetor problems does ethanol cause when it breaks down?
Old 03-14-2017, 06:05 PM   #13
H. L. Chauvin

Per reply #11, I have had similar experiences with vintage engines.

My vintage tractor runs on ethanol gas "all" of time; and after not in use for (3) winter months or so, it starts instantly every time with same.

I had ethanol gas stored in a 5 gallon red plastic containers for (3) years or so with no problems when later added to this vintage tractor.

I do "always" add Marvel Mystery oil, (4 oz. per 10 gallons) when refueling; but never tried ethanol gas without adding Marvel Mystery oil.

No doubt, from experience, ethanol gas can break down the old formerly recommended black Alcohol/Permatex Model A fuel tank sealer & cause major carburetor/intake manifold fuel problems.

Something tells me others have had no ethanol fuel problems and have had good experiences similar to that reported in the gentleman's reply no. 11 ...... but are cautious not to appear odd in opposing this often reported ethanol fuel concept.

Could it be that some States or areas have different types of ethanol gasoline?
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #14
Roadster Rich

I guess the jury is out on damage to our Model A's, but how many of you have ever owned a boat (almost all had plastic fuel tanks molded in until about 6 or 7 years ago) and used ethanol gas? I will guarantee you that if so then you had serious engine and tank problems. Ever tried to rent a boat and come back without a full tank "and proof that you added Seafoam or equivalent". Ever wonder why you cannot find a fuel station at a Marina that sells ethanol fuel?
So regardless of how many of us have had no problems, I will continue to use non-ethanol, and only when none is available I will always add SeaFoam or an equivalent additive.
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:05 AM   #15
old51fordman

Yep
That's why i have an app on my phone called "Pure Gas". It helps me find non-ethanol gas where ever I may be.
old51fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:13 AM   #16
eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Ever notice and wonder about all the new and used car dealer's lots all over the country?? Why they don't have fuel problems?? Many dealers have cars sitting for 3+ months, usually unstarted, unmoved. Just a thought.
Paul in CT
Keeping the gas fresh and batteries charged at a car dealer is a NEVER ENDING job. They don't just "sit there" for 3 months and then start and run on command.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #17
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Keeping the gas fresh and batteries charged at a car dealer is a NEVER ENDING job. They don't just "sit there" for 3 months and then start and run on command.
Yep, been there, done that.
The yard guy fired up a new pickup to make sure it was ready for a customer to test drive. Too bad he didn't check the dipstick or oil light. The factory left the drain plug slightly loose, and since it left the factory a month earlier, the oil had dripped out. We had to install a new engine under warranty.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #18
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Along with that there is the constant cleaning of the cars. We had a huge battery charger on wheels, that would start a car with a low battery.Part of the job back then was turing the speedo back.
Been there and did that when I was a teen.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote