Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #21
jim1932

Default Re: new paint job

Go down and see the class. It would be pretty evident if you have a group of kids trying to learn a vocation, or a bunch of screw offs. That is the main factor. The car being differnt than what they are used to should get them paying more attention to the job.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #22
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
30modela--- my brother-in-law once bought a '68 Shelby GT350 with the intent of detailing it and selling for a little profit. This was in Southern California in about 1990 or '92.

Anyway, he hired some Mexican guys that he found hanging around a detail shop, they did the body work and paint (it wasn't bad to start with, original just needed freshened up but they re-did it anyway) and it was first class all the way, looked beautiful. He took it to the Monterey Auction and it sold for big bucks, he made a lot of cash. The Mexican guys were glad to have work and he paid them pretty well (although a lot cheaper than the local body shop quoted). They were tickled to death.

You might look into that. Just don't take the car to Mexico.
You'd better get your brother in law to buy you some lottery tickets. He's one lucky dude. Could have gone the complete opposite way.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #23
BCCHOPIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave72dt View Post
Problem here is the tech schools for the most part teach production body work, not classics, complete with all the time-saving, good enough techniques the instructor used when in the business.
That's funny....
I don't know what school you went to but my teachers
Made us do every thing buy the book and there was no speed
When something cool came in the door only the top kids
Got to play with any thing that would show.

I would go and talk with the class and see for your self
They should have lots of Pics to show you

The school that is in my home town now. Has a car show every year and you can check out some of there stuff.
This school does 2 weeks shop 2 weeks school so they have lots of time
to do there protects
Old 03-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #24
30modelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Lewis View Post
I hope you consider Brent's advice carefully because that man's advice comes straight from the bodyshop floor. I can tell, having worked in the trade, that Brent has a pretty good grip on the reality of restoring a car and the real costs involved.

A few things I could add if you're still open to different perspectives...
As much as I want youngsters to learn about preserving & caring for old cars, I would want to be certain the supervisor has actual restoration qualifications and not just someone who went to school to learn how to teach.
Then there's the question if he can control all them kids as they pound away at your car? What if it gets damaged at the shop? Parts can go missing. Will you be OK if the odd original bolt gets lost? Is it OK if the undercarriage gets overspray all over? Have you seen what happens to glass when bodyshops run an airsander into it? Or welding & grinding splatter pitting of the glass? I have seen DOZENS of windows damaged at bodyshops.
Make sure whatever shop you end up chosing, to bring along clean heavy blankets to protect the interior.
Are you going to specify an experienced painter will at least do the final paint job? Or will you be OK with a certain amount of runs, sags & dirt nubs in the paint? If they completely mess up and need more paint, can you guess where the money's coming from?
We must keep in mind these kids are learning....

Have you asked your broker if they will insure the car while in the care & custody of the school system?
If the car is unfinished at the end of the semester, can you be certain the next group of children will know how to assemble it? Will the same teacher be there?

Quite frankly the thought of taking such a chance with any classic is out of the question in my mind. I wouldn't do it and I believe the car deserves better treatment.

If you take it to an individual person for a paint job at least he can answer to what has been done.
My best advice to get your car painted comes down to two points.

1) talk with people who have actually had a classic car repainted in your area, look at their paintjobs, then try and find someone local who does the caliber of work you desire.

2) if you find someone you trust, get a detailed estimate, establish a firm finishing date and above all else
....give them a Bare Minimum of money up front.
It's enough that they have your car...don't get caught in the classic bodyshop trap of "he has almost all the money and the car is only 25% done" or "now he's starting on someone else's car & mine's pushed into the corner"
Bodywork can be a dirty, dusty & discouraging job and if the only incentive your man has is a nice chunk of change....well that could be the best thing for all parties...
Good luck!
thank you!!
30modelA is offline   Reply With Quote