Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #41
raceron1120

Default Re: people answering questions

This place is an extension of society in general.

If ya think it's bad here, try working a parts counter! Daily confrontations include a guy coming in all apologetic because he doesn't know how to explain what he needs, to a smart-assed, condescending know-it-all who intends to teach the world everything there is to know about cars - just ask him!

Thick skin comes with experience working with the public, and often gained via the "school of hard knocks". Next time somebody throws a wrench or a case of oil filters at you and misses just get over it, and move on as your chance to 'get even' will likely come. Don't let it stick in your craw or you'll become one the 'those guys'.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #42
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I too think allot comes from not being able to see or hear the person that is writing the message. I'm sure we all have spoken words to friends that if written down and read by a third party would seem to be insults. There are extremely few people who post here that are true A-holes. Most really want to help and sometimes the message does not come across correctly in writing. I have had first hand experience with this.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #43
Ron Lowe

I guess I'm also young. I bought my A when I was 40, 14 years ago. I really don't post much, but I read everything. This is a wonderful forum! Please hang in there and enjoy. Ron
Old 02-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #44
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30modelA View Post
im like you, i dont mind rodding out a unrestoreable car its the good ones i hate to see go. for the record i had a 28 ccpu rat rod. lol
Hard enough to discuss rat rods here, but don't even begin to think about posting on the HAMB. There you will quickly learn what rude really means!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #45
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I am having trouble understanding your pique. This is one of the most courteous discussion sites I have ever been on. To understand how you might have somehow had a different experience, I just read ALL of your posts so far AND all the responses, and I didn't find a single answer that I thought was rude or demeaning. Certainly no one has talked down to you. And at the risk of seeming rude and demeaning, I think you are a little oversensitive. Sometimes a written answer can have an unintentional tone. Relax yourself and don't take things so personally or seriously.

Honestly!?? You've got way to much time to kill-any library can get you a much better reading list than that.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #46
1931 flamingo

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
30modelA: When you come to this forum, you are a GUEST of Ryan's. I'm sorry if you've been offended by some. There s a wonderful "search" function here, perhaps you should try it first so as not to be offended by getting an answer to a question you post. other than the Barn there aren't many options. Welcome. In about 4 yrs here and dealing with Model A's since about 1958 I don't think anyone here has "blown" me off. Welcome.
Paul in CT
Old 02-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #47
Tinker

It's the nature of the beast. One day you say tomato, someone will say its really tomahto. So the next day you say tomahto, no, no, no, you idiot its tomato. :]'

Forums, as mentioned, aren't like talking in person and it's easy to come off bad. A coffee shop conversions with thousands attending. Your going to have some differences.

Last edited by Tinker; 02-09-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #48
jrelliott

Glad to hear someone younger is taking a intrest in keeping A's like they were built. Both my kids do not want the A when I am gone so will donate to a museum. Son did keep the '64 Corvair I restored years ago and both learned to drive. Ask any question and will try to answer to best of my ability. Learned a lot rebuiding the A and would gladly pass on any info.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #49
Gumpy

[30model A...maneuver around the forum and you will find someone you really admire and what i do is send them a personal question from there profile page...some gents on the forum have strong opinions and i may be one of those but the positives outweigh anything else...us older guys may wake up irritable.....but don't take it personal....alot a help here!![/I]
Old 02-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #50
Dave in Boise

Welcome to the forum..

Personally, I like justabout anything on wheels.. There are forums for just about everything out there that can be imagined.. They may not all be everyones cup of tea, (ratrods, Lakesters, flying eyeballs, trashrods, pro-mod, pro-street, etc) but if you ask the appropriate question to the appropriate forum, you will discover that there are 90% of people out there who share your vision and passion and are more than willing to jump in and help. Age has little to do with it.. and about 10% are soreheads who feel that their purpose in life is to rain on peoples parades..

I find that it is best to embrace the positive responses and learn what the helpful folks want to teach you ..
and learn what not to do or how to treat people from the 10% soreheads

- Dave
Old 02-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #51
Jeff/Illinois

30modelA--you'll be fine.

The problem with a forum like this vs. actually speaking face-to-face with someone is, that sometimes they might come off wrong or you will take it wrongly. It's hard to discern intent, are they being sarcastic or are they being a smart- a$$ or just what? That's happened to me before as I'm sure it has for most everybody here. You have to learn to ignore this and not take it personally. Easily 99% of the guys on here are very helpful and actually quite friendly. It's that 1% you have to step over and around. Heck, we've even got a 'ghost' that posts here how many sites have THAT bragging right????

Somebody might say something that sparks an old grudge or brings back bad memories. They don't mean to of course, because they don't know what you may have been through in life. Then the worst thing you can do is jump on the guy because you will regret it later. If you have any kind of a conscience.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #52
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
Honestly!?? You've got way to much time to kill-any library can get you a much better reading list than that.
Yes, honestly. It only took about 10 minutes, and I wanted to understand his problem.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #53
Charlie Stephens

It is hard to tell without some specific examples what "talking down" means. Usually the person responding to a post often knows nothing about the person posting the question. Then there is the case that other people of limited knowledge will be reading the posts. Frequently there will be little information their profile (your profile doesn't give any clue to your age or experience). I like to err on the side of safety and answer assuming the person has only limited knowledge. If there is other information I consider important although not directly related to the question I will add it (especially safety items). If this is what you are referring to please accept my apology but I must admit I will probably keep doing the same thing.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 02-09-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #54
kp

Sometimes a grouchy old fart will comment and it is really low down,but like has been said on above comments over and over on one simple subject that has been hashed out many times before it Gets "OLD " (as we are all doin) ,WE LOSE OUR PATIENCE, but was not intended to hurt feelings . You will never learn unless you ask and this is the place to ask . Each individual thinks his mechanical problem is unique and it is to him ,so keep on keeping on.This is a great site ,thanks Ryon !!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #55
28RPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30modelA View Post
paying my dues, are you serious! we shouldnt have to put up with anything to use this site.
OK, here is my 2¢. I stopped reading comments after this. I see it as the problem is.. you are way too serious. Lighten up. Ignore what you don't like and absorb what you do. You run into different kinds of people in your personal life also. Some you like and relate to,some you do not like and tend to avoid. Same way on here. Lots of different personalities. Don't be a whiney moma's boy, just ignore it or talk back. We all have had to deal with people that are jerks in life. Thats part of growing up....learning to deal with it, so deal with it.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #56
Rowdy
BANNED

I may come across as abit crass at times, but I mean well. The car world via the internet can be an adventure all in its own. There is no shelter from idiots and A holes anywhere in the world. I do not think I am one of the ones you are talking about, but if I am, then I guesse that is just the way it is. I am 41 and have been in the hobbie since I was 13, so I guesse at times I likely come across as being abit older on the internet. I bought a computer and joined the fray of Model A enthusiests in 2002 and it has been an adventure and have managed to make good freinds with many and likely have afew enemies also. Lifes current state makes me abit grumpy, but it is slowly getting better. Just hope to still be in the hobbie after things settle out. Enjoy the people for who they are dispite the attitudes and differences of opinions. Some at their keyboard think they are 10' tall and bullet proof. Rod
Old 02-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #57
Ross/Kzoo

In just the last couple of days I've seen a post where the posted asked a question "with an attitude". When asked correctly most people will respond accordingly.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #58
zzlegend

SO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,How about that Super Bowl????????????????
Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #59
joe plumber

Just remember ,Stupid questions are a lot easier to deal with than stupid mistakes .Just because it takes me all day to do what I use to do all day ,doesn't mean I can't do it .
Old 02-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #60
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
SO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,How about that Super Bowl????????????????
It's not really a Superbowl with out the Steelers just like it's not a World Series without the Yankees-but i really liked that Chevy commercial-or maybe it was a Twinkie commercial?
Closed Thread