Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #1
banjoQ

Default Vintage plate vendors in the U.S.

I have had my truck on the road for nearly 2 1/2 yrs and it has brought much happiness to my family and others. Every now and then I am reminded of how CADMV denied my use of the old plates that were on the truck. I had all the paperwork and several reg. tags linking these plates to the truck. No dice, they insisted I had to have Ca. commercial plates to comply with our bogus YOM program. I was forced to get a shiny new plate to register the truck. It's like having a big hairy wart on it's face! Given up on appeals to DMV, believe me- I have tried. Does anyone know of any plate vendors outside of Calif? There is one here, but he has none and offers no hope. I realize these might be rare, but there might still be a rusty pair out there somewhere. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks- Q
banjoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
Seth Swoboda

Default Re: Vintage plate vendors in the U.S.

If you're looking for an original California license plate for say 1935, that should be fairly easy to come by. I know of a few collectors near me that I buy plates from.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:02 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

I believe he needs COMMERCIAL plates. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
TJ

The DMV you are dealing with is full of c*^p. I have '41 California passenger car plates on my '41 pickup. I still pay the weight fees. These plates came off my neighbor's 41 coupe and released to me with the appropriate DMV form. They knew the plates came off a passenger car and were going on a pickup.'39 commercial plates will be tough to find. '41 commercial plates are almost impossible.
Can anyone in that DMV office show you where in the code section on YOM plates that commercial vehicles have to have commercial plates to comply with the YOM law. They are still collecting the weight fee so they are not losing any money. In fact they are making money as you not only pay the weight fee , but they collect the extra annual fee for the YOM plate. Theylose money by having you go to regular plates. They should have also honored the old plates since you had documentation that they were on there truck. You have one idiotic DMV in your area.

Last edited by TJ; 06-09-2015 at 12:56 PM.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

Try reminding them that their vehicle code says you can use passenger car plates on a 1936 or earlier commercial vehicle. 1936 passenger car plates are easier to find than 1936 commercial. I am (and have been for several years) looking for a pair of 1931 California commercial plates that I can use for YOM registration.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:04 PM   #6
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
I believe he needs COMMERCIAL plates. DD
I have purchased vintage commercial "B" truck plates for Illinois from the 1930's. I assume that you can find them for California also.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #7
Willit Stop

I agree with TJ.Go to another DMV.Older plates can be registered from car to car or truck to truck but sometimes will be classified as "personalized" plates.As long as the plates are "clean or clear".A passenger plate can be assigned to a commercial vehicle and registered as a passenger vehicle but nothing can be carried in the bed.Not even a spare tire.This information was correct as of 8 years ago in our state.Good luck and don't forget to take a chair to the DMV.Customer satisfaction is not high on their list of priorities.
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:31 PM   #8
banjoQ

I agree with what has been said here, including the office being" full of c××p". It was never explained to my satisfaction as to why the plates i had could not be used. They were proven to be clear in Ca. I will say that the plates registered to the truck were from 1960. I had all the documentation to connect the plates to the truck. They flatly said no way and I could apeal the decision in Sacramento. I did, twice. Many phone calls and they continued to recite the YOM plate laws. Honestly, I would be quite happy to use my black and yellow plates. They told me I would have to locate a commercial plate from 36' to comply.
My question for TJ is, was CADMV aware you were using car plates for your truck? I suggested this and was told by Sacramento this would be a no go. I happen to know of a really nice pair that could be bought. This whole thing is really frustrating, you can't argue with these people. I haven't had much success with it. Many thanks to you all. -Q
Old 06-09-2015, 01:39 PM   #9
ford38v8

If your truck was a 1960 model as the plates were, that should work, but YOM means Year Of Manufacture, not 28 years after.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:43 PM   #10
Ball and Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoQ View Post
I have had my truck on the road for nearly 2 1/2 yrs and it has brought much happiness to my family and others. Every now and then I am reminded of how CADMV denied my use of the old plates that were on the truck. I had all the paperwork and several reg. tags linking these plates to the truck. No dice, they insisted I had to have Ca. commercial plates to comply with our bogus YOM program. I was forced to get a shiny new plate to register the truck. It's like having a big hairy wart on it's face! Given up on appeals to DMV, believe me- I have tried. Does anyone know of any plate vendors outside of Calif? There is one here, but he has none and offers no hope. I realize these might be rare, but there might still be a rusty pair out there somewhere. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks- Q
What year are the plates that were on the truck? 1935 or a different year? If they were 1935 you should be able to apply them back to the truck? The thing about California DMV, is if you dont likre the answer someone gives just try again. A different office, a different day or a different city. You litterly can get three different answer from three different people in the same office. It is very frustrating been there a few times. I feel your pain. And I have seen commerical and non commerical plates applied through the YOM before.

And I see you're in Pacifica, Capitola DMV right up the road is known for being one of the more lenient offices around.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:58 PM   #11
johnh7

I also think there is something wrong with your DMV office. I have YOM plates on my 1938 Ford Pickup and had no trouble getting them registered to my pickup. They are not commercial plates.

Live for today, but save for tomorrow!
johnh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #12
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh7 View Post
I also think there is something wrong with your DMV office. I have YOM plates on my 1938 Ford Pickup and had no trouble getting them registered to my pickup. They are not commercial plates.
My '39 p/u (the one in my avatar) has YOM non commercial plates. Paid the weight fees and the YOM fees and all was good. Also had YOM non commercial plates on two 1940 1 1/2 ton flatbeds same thing with no problems. If you are still having an issue with DMV I suggest contacting your local state assemblyperson or senator for assistance. As a retired state employee of a regulatory/licensing agency I know that things happen when an inquiry comes down from an elected official. Just make sure the plates are not currently assigned to another vehicle and that they are the year plate for your vehicle.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:27 PM   #13
B-O-B

There is your problem: They were proven to be clear in Ca. I will say that the plates registered to the truck were from 1960. Noway can you expect anyone to register 1960 plates on a earlier vehicle for YOM. Get yourself some plates that fit your vehicle & see what they.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #14
banjoQ

I guess I will try to get a confirmation from CADMV about the possibility of using 36' passenger plates on my truck. I do know of a pair that are available. That being said, I still don't understand their point on my existing plates. They were issued to the truck in 1960. Renewed three times until 63'. The truck was then put in storage until I dragged it out in 2012. I had the title that referenced the plates and three reg. tags. Why they could not be reassigned to the truck is beyond me. Maybe assign them as personalized plates? The irony here is that I can sell the plates to someone with a 60' vintage vehicle and they would be able to use them. Go figure. Sounds like a project for this winter, ill let ya' know.
Thanks to all that weighed in on this- Q
Old 06-09-2015, 07:23 PM   #15
TJ

BanjoQ, they were well aware that the plates were from a passenger car. They had been on my neighbors 41 coupe and he signed the plates over to me. I see two others here who are also using passenger car plates on their pickups. As I recall up to and including 1936 DMV dropped the commercial weight fees on those previously classified as commercial vehicles. You should be able to use 36 passenger car plates on your pickup as it's no longer classified as a commercial vehicle.
as a side note I once bought a 40 Ford from out of state and the Sacramento DMV sent me a notice that I had to smog the vehicle before they would register it. I had to return to the CHP and get a form signed to show that the car was not eligible to be smogged. Never underestimate some people who work in public agencies. I use the word "some" as most are good people.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:42 PM   #16
johnh7

Quote:
I guess I will try to get a confirmation from CADMV about the possibility of using 36' passenger plates on my truck. I do know of a pair that are available. That being said, I still don't understand their point on my existing plates. They were issued to the truck in 1960. Renewed three times until 63'. The truck was then put in storage until I dragged it out in 2012. I had the title that referenced the plates and three reg. tags. Why they could not be reassigned to the truck is beyond me. Maybe assign them as personalized plates? The irony here is that I can sell the plates to someone with a 60' vintage vehicle and they would be able to use them. Go figure. Sounds like a project for this winter, ill let ya' know.
B-O-B is right. The YOM program in California is set up for you to be able to register plates from the year of manufacture of the vehicle. There is no provision for any other year of plate other than YOM. You will have to purchase plates made the same year as your vehicle. I don't believe you need commercial plates on it. Mine are YOM plates and are not commercial.

Live for today, but save for tomorrow!
johnh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:00 PM   #17
flyboy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B View Post
There is your problem: They were proven to be clear in Ca. I will say that the plates registered to the truck were from 1960. Noway can you expect anyone to register 1960 plates on a earlier vehicle for YOM. Get yourself some plates that fit your vehicle & see what they.
Well, when I registered my '47 Super Deluxe Conv. ; it had yellow on black plates from 1963. Had to jump through some hoops but had the documentation that the plates had been on the car since the early '60's. They are still on the car.
flyboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:15 AM   #18
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy89 View Post
Well, when I registered my '47 Super Deluxe Conv. ; it had yellow on black plates from 1963. Had to jump through some hoops but had the documentation that the plates had been on the car since the early '60's. They are still on the car.
Continuous registration without lapse can and does transfer to the new owner.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:50 AM   #19
Adam/Mill Valley CA

banjoQ, my '36 pickup has YOM passenger plates, I had no problems getting them approved-the issue of commercial vs passenger never came up. I went through the DMV in Novato, definitely easier to deal with than Corte Madera

Adam
1970 911E 2.2 litre dark blue/black
1968 BMW R50/2 US, black (m'cycle)
1967 Triumph TR6R , sea foam/cream (m'cycle)
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 red (m'cycle)
1974 Honda CB750 red (m'cycle)
2000 Kawasaki W650 blue/silver (m'cycle)
Adam/Mill Valley CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #20
TJ

Quote:
BanjoQ, in rereading your post I think I may see the problem. I thought you were trying to get 1963 plates put back on your truck. Now I realize you were trying to get the 1956 plates(with tabs) put back on your truck. The trouble with the 56 plates is they were made obsolete by the 1963 plates. Many of the 1963 plates are still in use, so are not obsolete ( I have a set on one of my 40's).If you had the 1963 plates with the old registrations DMV would have to put them back on your truck. Since the 56's are obsolete they have been relegated to the YOM category and are not appropriate for your truck. Get yourself a nice clear set of 1936 passenger car plates and put them on your truck. They will actually look better than the 56's. if the people at you local DMV still give you a hard time go to another DMV office. Go prepared with the correct Vehicle Code sections that exempt your pickup from commercial fees.