Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2015, 11:05 PM   #1
banjoQ

Default Trico vacum motor/ 37' pick up

I have a 37' cab on my 36' truck. Trying to get ready should it ever rain again here in California. I found a Trico KSB 384-1 unit in the header of my cab. Due to the origins of my truck I think this might not be the correct one for the cab. The control arm does not come close to lining up with holes in the access panel. Is this the correct unit for a 37'? Can someone point me in the right direction to find info on these, parts lists, diagrams and vendors. I know this unit needs a rebuild and I think I can make it work. Its missing a few parts so I need to source them or look into finding another. My big concern is the stanchion with stem that passes to the outside of the header, its shot. Are these available? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender 2.jpg (20.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (23.6 KB, 23 views)
banjoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:33 AM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Trico vacum motor/ 37' pick up

There are others, but Kent is one of our own. A true blue Ford man.

Kent Jaquith, 2633 SW Obsidian # 15, Redmond, Oregon (541) 923-4319
Clean-Sweep Windshield Wiper Motor Service, Sales and Rebuilding
Old 08-10-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
banjoQ

Thanks Alan- I will contact Kent and see where it goes. Was kind of hoping for the info I asked about. A parts list and diagrams would be a big help. I will keep looking.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
banjoQ

Well, I called Kent today and had a very informative conversation. He seemed very knowledgable and a nice guy. Come to find out the Trico motor I have is a universal aftermarket item probably sold in the fifties. Similar and different at the same time. Unfortunately he will not rebuild these units but is going to check his inventory and see if he can come up with the right one. This explains my confusion when looking up info and looking at pictures. The unit I have was quite common back then but not as good as an original with specific applications. I am learning by doing. Thanks Alan, for the tip on Kent.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
Ray Balukas

I'm in the same boat as you. I purchased one , same hole issue. There is a 37 Ford panel on EB which show's the wiper motor. It appears that it is mounted different than i would figure. looks like the controls are on the bottom. Not sure if that's right or not. My panel came without the motor. Any pictures of the motor mounted, and out off the vehicle would help. Thanks Ray
Ray Balukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:40 PM   #6
banjoQ

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Ray, these things were used by nearly all the car and truck makers for years. There are many different models for different applications. In the last day or so I have looked at least twenty different ones. Kent told me the the model# I had was correct for the year but mine was a re-pop from the fifties. It had been modified to be more universal in its applications. He did mention that the motors for the 37' were mounted upside down with the bowl in the upward position and the vacuum feed pointing left to the pillar. One of the holes in the access panel serves as a steady for the motor as it works. The other is for the control arm. The universal i have was mounted with the bowl in the downward position with the vacum feed to the right. The rubber vacuum line was run past the motor and doubled back to make the connection. I know the origins of my truck and it screams "shade tree mechanic", so this did not surprise me. Check my original post for photos of the motor I currently have. Model # is correct but design is all wrong due to the universal modifications. Will follow this up when and if Kent can provide me with the correct hardware. Good luck with your project.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:58 AM   #7
Ray Balukas

Thanks for the info. I was at Stowe VT. this past weekend and was given the # that you have. Although awhile ago I was given KSB 366-2g, if my memory is correct. Keep me posted. There is a Guy here in N.H. that has 200 wiper motors but say's the # are worn off. If you find the correct one please post a picture. Thanks Ray
Old 08-16-2015, 02:48 AM   #8
Ray Balukas

Banjo, any luck with the wiper motor?
Old 08-16-2015, 10:49 AM   #9
banjoQ

Ray- I have not heard back from Kent yet. He made it seem like he has quite a stockpile to work from. It might take him a while to find it. I might give him a call this week to touch base with him. Doesn't seem like there is a rush as there is no rain in sight. Plenty of wildfires but no rain in the foreseeable future. Will update and post pics when able.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:35 PM   #10
banjoQ

Just an update for those who were interested in my Trico motor problem. As stated in earlier posts, I had contacted Kent Jaquith- Clean Sweep Wiper Motor Service about rebuilding my Trico motor. After removing it from the header and cleaning it up I was able to get a part number to work with. After talking with Kent it became apparent that mine was a more universal motor made much later. No surprise here. He said he did not rebuild these but that he would look into his stash of motors and see if he had one to rebuild. Well he did, and was able to provide a speed control unit too. Kent explained his procedure for rebuilding and assured me I would have a motor that was better than new. Well, since I had nothing to compare to all I can say is that it works quite well. The speed control is real slick too. Installation is easy, but routing the metal and rubber tubing will take some time. If your car or truck is a little rusty like mine, wear safety glasses. Rust fragments will be falling down out of the windshield pillar. First try I had to deal with vacuum leaks, but once they were solved it works great. Kent also provided me with a new wiper arm and blade. Looks like I am all set, all we need now is a little rain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0886.jpg (29.3 KB, 51 views)
Old 09-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #11
keith oh

BanjoQ, What is the Trico part # of the one in your post # 10? Kent should be able to supplu that and the applications for that wiper Motor.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:47 PM   #12
Ianrhall

Where is the number stamped on these motors, I need one for my truck. Got drivers side working but the other has beaten me!!
Ian
Ianrhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:59 PM   #13
banjoQ

Kieth- I believe it's a KSB 384 . Kent explained that the one I had although a correct part #, was in fact a universal repop from possibly the fifties. I knew it was not the right one from the start.He looked it up and scrounged up this one, complete with speed control.He's the man on these things. I no expert but it works great.
The model numbers áre usually stamped on the body in ink -Q
Old 09-04-2015, 06:15 PM   #14
Ray Balukas

Thanks for the up date ,I have put a call to Kent, hope he has another
Old 09-05-2015, 11:53 AM   #15
keith oh

Those ink Trico #s on the back cover of the motors do not survive even mild cleaning and sometimes have been switched. I have one of the Universal Trico motors new old stock in the original box with the adaptors for different applications and Trico instructions. If anybody needs it let me know. It looks like the one pictured in the #1 post of this thread.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #16
TJ

Kent has done two wiper motors for me and they work great.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #17
Ianrhall

The number on mine is very faint but I think it's ksb 416-2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.3 KB, 16 views)
Ianrhall is offline   Reply With Quote