Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
Evil-Eric

Default 37-48 rear ends and 32 Fords question

Howdy gang..ok, need to pick some brains on this one..if I have late rear, and a 32 V8 torque tube and drive shaft, with the spline adaptor, other than perhaps shorting things to fit will this combo work? Am I totally off, or any suggestions would greatly apprciated. I have seen some simular discussions but am still a bit confused. Thanks!
-Eric
Evil-Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Henry/Kokomo

Default Re: 37-48 rear ends and 32 Fords question

Eric - Do the 32 and later rear ends have the same torque tube bolt pattern? For some reason, I'm under the impression they are at least slightly different. Good luck!
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
PeteVS

If you have a "late" ('33 to '48) rear, the '32 torque tube will NOT fit. The bolt patterns are different. Also, there's a difference in the dimension from the centerline of the axle to the face of the banjo casting where the torque tube attaches. Also, the '32 drive shaft is a very different animal from the later driveshafts in that the pinion mounts directly on the driveshaft (like a model A) and doesn't have a bearing at the very end like the later rears have. I myself don't know if the rear end of the '32 driveshaft can be whacked off and replaced by the spline adapter. Perhaps someone else will chime in. I'll try to add some links to previous discussions.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
Evil-Eric

Thanks Pete! I have an opertunity to pick up a complete (although been sitting outside for awhile) 32-34 V8 rear(it has the scalloped flange)..But I do not know which it is. If I measure the torque tube will that tell me? if so what are the measurments. And if its the 33-34 than Im good to go relativly speaking on the parts selection?
Thanks again!
-Eric
Old 10-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
Evil-Eric

BTW Im under the impression that the round flange is a 4cyl rear and the scalioped rear is a V8. Is this correct?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
PeteVS

I may be shooting myself in the foot here, but I'm pretty sure that the scalloped flange is the later design, for both 8's and 4's. There have been posts in the past talking about what's necessary to swap gear sets in the late '32 to '34 rears, but I'm totally ignorant of that design.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
PeteVS

Here are two of the threads I participated in...
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8439
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13674
They should help...
Old 10-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Eric View Post
Thanks Pete! I have an opertunity to pick up a complete (although been sitting outside for awhile) 32-34 V8 rear(it has the scalloped flange)..But I do not know which it is. If I measure the torque tube will that tell me? if so what are the measurments. And if its the 33-34 than Im good to go relativly speaking on the parts selection?
Thanks again!
-Eric
Round flange is early '32, scalloped flange is late '32 and up. The mounts for the trailing arms are different, on '32 the mount is attached to the axle housing parallel to the torque tube and the trailing arms are bent towards the front mount on the torque tube. On the '33-'34, the mounts on the axle housings are angled towards the front mount on the torque tube and the trailing arms are straight, no bends.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
Evil-Eric

Excellent info Randy, Thank you I will check out this other rear this week.

Pete, thanks for the forum links, any info I can gather is good! Thanks!

-Eric
Old 10-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
Richard (EV8G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Round flange is early '32, scalloped flange is late '32 and up. The mounts for the trailing arms are different, on '32 the mount is attached to the axle housing parallel to the torque tube and the trailing arms are bent towards the front mount on the torque tube. On the '33-'34, the mounts on the axle housings are angled towards the front mount on the torque tube and the trailing arms are straight, no bends.
The mounts on the EARLY 32 ("B" part numbers) rear are parallel to the torque tube and the radius rods have a dogleg; the radius rods for the "late" 32 ("18" part numbers) are the same as 33-34, in fact the part numbers for a late 32 rear are all "18" prefix except for the torque tube and driveshaft (and high-speed gears). Therefore, it is possible to make an essentially correct "late" 32 rear from a 33-34, but the location of the speedometer "turtle" must also be changed when the torque tube is shortened to late 32 specs. 32 is the only year where the speedometer cable goes toward the RH/Passenger side, and you cannot just turn the turtle around to face the RH; it will only work going in reverse!!! Have to put it where it belongs on a
Old 10-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard (EV8G) View Post
The mounts on the EARLY 32 ("B" part numbers) rear are parallel to the torque tube and the radius rods have a dogleg; the radius rods for the "late" 32 ("18" part numbers) are the same as 33-34, in fact the part numbers for a late 32 rear are all "18" prefix except for the torque tube and driveshaft (and high-speed gears). Therefore, it is possible to make an essentially correct "late" 32 rear from a 33-34, but the location of the speedometer "turtle" must also be changed when the torque tube is shortened to late 32 specs. 32 is the only year where the speedometer cable goes toward the RH/Passenger side, and you cannot just turn the turtle around to face the RH; it will only work going in reverse!!! Have to put it where it belongs on a
Learn something new everyday. I should have thought of that. I'm building a '33 rearend right now and the axle housings are an "18-" part #. Thanks, Richard!
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote