Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2021, 11:35 AM   #21
old ugly

Default Re: Engine sputters and dies when at high rpms and under load

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
Bingo !! Your first test, dribbles with the gas line valve open, you should have a good flow like when you drained the carb bowl ! Remove a gas line fitting after the gas valve and blow compressed air back into the tank, you'll hear junk pop back into the gas tank!
i think he is saying that "with the bottom carb drain off its only a dribble"

so if you have good flow at the line into the carb but not at the carb drain then it most likely that the problem is inside the carb.

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:52 AM   #22
Gene F

Points too close.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:19 PM   #23
nkaminar

If you get good flow with the bottom of the carburetor off but dribbles when the drain removed then it is likely that the float is hanging up. Take the carburetor off and shake it up and down and turn it over to check to see if the float moves freely. If not then take it apart to see if you can figure out where it is hanging up.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:11 PM   #24
nkaminar

Deleted
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:40 PM   #25
noboD

You said you used brake clean to check for vacuum leak and it slowed down? I don't think brake clean burns. Better try something else, maybe propane.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:57 PM   #26
1crosscut

I'm not a big fan of the modern points. For me they are more difficult to set the point gap.
Your say your points gap isn't adjustable. You should be able to adjust it. What is the measurement of the gap you have now?

Pull the fuel line off at the carburetor and test the flow at that point. While you have it pulled free from the carburetor look to see how much of the fuel line sticks out past the ferrule. If it sticks out too far it can push against the fuel filter screen in the carburetor causing a lack of flow.

When you sprayed around the manifolds the engine speed didn't go up but went down. Just the fact that it changed speed when you did so it points to a leak in that area.

Leave the condenser in place when running the car. Swap it out for a new / different one instead.

You got to go for a test drive or two before March to make sure it's fixed!!
Old 10-31-2021, 07:20 PM   #27
Brad in Germany

I had a similar problem where my engine started and idled just fine, but when I revved the engine to higher RPM's, it sounded like it was choking (starving for fuel?) and if I kept the accelerator pressed down, the engine eventually started to back fire (quite loudly).

I tried all of the things mentioned above with no success.

It turned out that my spark plugs were fouled (and possibly shorting at high RPM's). Once I thoroughly cleaned them and especially cleaned (and lightly sanded) the electrodes and then re-gapped them.....everything now runs perfectly.

Brad in Maryland
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:43 PM   #28
old ugly

the problem with the modern points is. good quality points are hard to find. most of them now have a plastic follower instead of the bakelite type. the plastic follower is rivet to the point spring and will cause a point of high resistance which will melt the plastic follower which will close up the point gap. i have changed so many of these junk points that now i will never put in a modern points plate. the original style point work just fine.

look at the points follower and see if it is plastic and if it is still intact, if they have melted and tightened up the point gap up throw them away and see if you can locate a good set that have the hard follower or change back to the original style points.

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:22 PM   #29
super flat

If your rpm changed with brake cleaner you have a vacuum leak!
Old 11-01-2021, 05:49 PM   #30
noboD

Quote:
Originally Posted by super flat View Post
If your rpm changed with brake cleaner you have a vacuum leak!
Zactly. He said the idle went down when he sprayed brake clean. BC does not burn so it would go down not up.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:33 AM   #31
bavArian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noboD View Post
Zactly. He said the idle went down when he sprayed brake clean. BC does not burn so it would go down not up.

I know that there's a small leak at the throttle shaft, but I'm still not sure if the manifold has a leak to the block because some of the bc-spray gets sucked in by the carb as well.

Guess I'll have to check again with a short hose connected to the carb to make sure. Why it should only occur at higher rpms/load is something that's beyond me though, I doubt the manifolds heat up so fast that a crack would open up.

Anyway, first on the list is flow testing the jets and changing the float valve.
bavArian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:38 PM   #32
1crosscut

What is the measurement of the points gap?
Old 11-03-2021, 07:59 AM   #33
dpson

Beg, borrow or steal (ok, don't steal one) a known good running carburetor and put on your car and see what happens.
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 01:33 AM   #34
MichaelSchwarzer

Hi, where are you located? I have some flow tested working carburetors here. We could do some road tests next spring.
Cheers Michael
Old 11-04-2021, 06:26 AM   #35
bavArian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSchwarzer View Post
Hi, where are you located? I have some flow tested working carburetors here. We could do some road tests next spring.
Cheers Michael

Hi Michael,

thanks for the offer, I've sent you a pm.

To everyone else, I'll report back after checking the jets.

Greetings,

Daniel
Old 03-19-2022, 10:52 AM   #36
bavArian

Update:

Last week I ordered a new float valve for the carb and installed it. The first test drive today was promising: It can now run up to around 45 mph without stalling and doesn't stall even when climbing a hill with ~10% with mid rpms in 2nd gear. (~15-20 mph)

I did notice however that the ignition advance lever didn't make a lot of difference. It is working, as I can feel the engine start to knock when I advance while idling, but there's not much difference on the road whether it's on 10 o'clock or fully pulled down.
So I'll check the timing tomorrow, maybe it's a bit retarded.

The torque at low rpms is good as it pulls away from a standstill nicely. As soon as I reach said 40 to 45 mph it just stops accelerating and starts to sputter, I think through the muffler, from time to time.

Also when running the carb dry to park (at ~1000 rpm I'd guess) the engine runs normal but just before it dies the revs climb noticably for maybe 1 second.

Am I right that it's still running too rich on at least the main jet and possibly also the others? GAV was completely closed by the way.
Haven't flow tested the jets yet, that's next on the to-do-list after an oil change.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:01 AM   #37
bavArian

Another update:

In the meantime I disassembled the carburettor and flow tested the jets. Main and cap jet were relatively fine, with the main being a bit too lean. (fixed that, now they have the proper flow)
The comp jet flow was way too high, around tripple the normal flow rate. Soldered it up and tinkered with it until the flow was right.

Now the car won't go past 35 mph, it seems to run too lean. (getting lots of vibrations at ~30 - 35 mph without any backfire, no smoke as far as I could see)

MichaelSchwarzer sent me one of his spare carbs for testing and the engines runs fine with that one. Top speed was ~55 mph (measured via gps) and it pulls nicely as well.

That means it's definitely a carb-problem.

I've noticed there are 2 differences between Michaels carb and mine:

- the shaft of my throttle plate has a bit of play on the lever-side
- turning the GAV on his car seems to make a difference compared to the one on my carb

So I'll have to re-check the GAV on my carb, it seems to me that either the secondary well doesn't get enough fuel from the float bowl or the GAV won't allow enough fuel to pass to the cap jet.

Is that the right direction or am I totally wrong?

Thanks and have a nice day,

Daniel
Old 04-29-2022, 01:21 PM   #38
BillCNC

This just happened to me, ... in the end, it was the Armored Ingnition Cable shorting out when ever the vibrations got to much. Drove fine under 35 mph, or under 1300 rpm.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:26 AM   #39
Gator6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavArian View Post
I know that there's a small leak at the throttle shaft, but I'm still not sure if the manifold has a leak to the block because some of the bc-spray gets sucked in by the carb as well.

Guess I'll have to check again with a short hose connected to the carb to make sure. Why it should only occur at higher rpms/load is something that's beyond me though, I doubt the manifolds heat up so fast that a crack would open up.

Anyway, first on the list is flow testing the jets and changing the float valve.
Daniel, I am having the same exact problem. I just bought my car about 6 months ago and haven't driven it much because I broke everything down, dropped the pan, drained the radiator, replaced the water pump, new battery, all new tires, etc etc. So While I was at it, I decided to rebuild the carb. Everything came apart fine and went back fine, but now when I drive at high RPMs, no power and it starts to backfire. So I'm going to replace the condenser, and then start on the carb. How exactly do you flow test the jets? Is there a link anyone can share?

Thanks. Newbie Rich
Gator6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:06 AM   #40
CT Jack

Please explain what you mean when you say you have a split fuel. I have one line exiting my fuel tank that feeds directly into the carburetor.
Do you have access to a Zenith carburetor that is known to be working properly? I would remove your existing carburetor and try running with the Zenith. It appears the carburetor you have been using has some internal flow problems at the higher flow operating range. As someone has mentioned you are starving for fuel at the higher engine speed range.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote