Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2022, 10:45 PM   #21
tubman

Default Re: need a new 6 volt battery for my 1933

Which is the technology that Optima uses.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:52 PM   #22
Tinker

What Coop said. They are glass matt (fiberglass) batteries. No acid or lead levels to worry about. Closed cell. Why you can install them upside down. Yes you can just charge them like a regular battery. Use the maintenance free setting. On newer chargers there are settings for other types of solid state gel batteries. Know what condition your condition is in.

The acronym "AGM" stands for "Absorbed Glass Mat," which in the case of a lead-acid battery, means the electrolyte in the battery is absorbed into fiberglass matting in between the plates in the cells. All OPTIMA batteries are AGM batteries, but no OPTIMA batteries are gel batteries.

Batteries and companies change over time. But Optima is/was AMG batteries.

Last edited by Tinker; 06-30-2022 at 11:02 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:03 AM   #23
Zax40

The Optima websites indicates they are still making them. https://www.optimabatteries.com/experience/blog/6-volt/
Zax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:47 PM   #24
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayChicago View Post
Curiosity question:
What is the AGM battery in my reproduction Ford script battery from Battery Central? What does "AGM" mean? Same technology as an Optima?
wow $365.00 hope it lasts.
I had an old ford script lead acid battery that last 1 year. I hollowed out the case to fit my optima battery inside. I remember paying 150, for the optima.
Today it is $240. Does Battery Central offer a 3 or 4 year guarrantee.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:07 PM   #25
Zax40

Yeah, the Optimas have gone up in price and down in quality over the years.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:12 PM   #26
JayChicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
Does Battery Central offer a 3 or 4 year guarrantee.
Paperwork that came with the Ford script battery reads: "Your battery comes with a 4 year warranty, 1st year is full replacement, then pro-rated the last 3 years." Hope I never have to call on that warrantee; boxing and shipping a battery won't be cheap.

However, I'm hoping to get 10+ years from it. Read post #6 above. Hopefully this Absorbed Glass Mat battery will last as long as an Optima. We shall see. That is, if I'm still around in ten years.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 02:26 PM   #27
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zax40 View Post
The Optima websites indicates they are still making them. https://www.optimabatteries.com/experience/blog/6-volt/
I went a little deeper into the website, and when I got to where you can place an order, it says they are out of stock, but available soon.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:44 PM   #28
FrankWest

battery central classic is a great looking battery, no doubt. I am tempted to buy one myself, but I already have to shell from the junk lead acid script battery I bought when I first got my car.....The optima fits inside and the battery top holds the optima in place. I remember the chore I had grinding the inside of the rubber case to fit the optima in. Never do that again.

Last edited by FrankWest; 07-01-2022 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:46 PM   #29
Zax40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I went a little deeper into the website, and when I got to where you can place an order, it says they are out of stock, but available soon.
I guess that is better than discontinued. But it's not like a battery is something you can wait around months for if yours is bad and needs a replacement.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:40 PM   #30
FrankWest

eventually, we all may have to convert to 12 volts because 6 volt batteries will no longer be available
Old 07-01-2022, 05:27 PM   #31
d.

I've got an Optima 6v dated 2014 that reads 6.8v on my HF digital charger/ maintainer ($26) and the battery cranks just fine.
I also have a 2016 date Optima 6v that reads 6.8, no issues.
I leave it on a week and then skip 3 weeks. The Optima is one tough battery.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:40 PM   #32
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
eventually, we all may have to convert to 12 volts because 6 volt batteries will no longer be available

Frank....WATCH his lips! 6v batteries are about to be the least of your worries when there is no more gasoline. Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:40 AM   #33
FrankWest

I put the optima battery I was having trouble charging in the freezer overnight.
Then I put it back on my smart charger and it charged up to full! WE used to do this at GE aerospace division to extend the life of NiCad spacecraft batteries.

Last edited by FrankWest; 07-04-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:01 AM   #34
joe 1950

I totally agree johnson controls and east penn where some of the best battery builders around in my model a and 50 i always went to my local fleet farm stores since the local farmers still had plenty of 6 volt tractors you could pretty much be guaranteed a fresh one
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:57 AM   #35
HDowse

I buy the NAPA Group 1 or Group 2 battery depending on the car. During the winter I hook up my 6 amp charger on each car about once a month until the charger shows that the battery is fully charged. That usually takes only 3 or 4 hours. I get anywhere from 7 to 10 years from each battery. I also have master disconnects to make sure there’s no drain. Nothing fancy but it’s worked for me for 20 years or so.
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:57 AM   #36
Bored&Stroked

If you're willing to run a flooded lead-acid battery, you might check out Batteries Plus. I have been using their 6Volt batteries for my flatheads for the last 9 years - without any issues. They are only about $100 or so and have worked well for me (high horsepower flathead that I crank a lot to get fuel into the engine before I hit the 'mag' switch).

I keep mine on a battery tender - always works just perfectly and shows about 6.5 or so volts when coming off the charger.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:47 AM   #37
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Frank....WATCH his lips! 6v batteries are about to be the least of your worries when there is no more gasoline. Coop

Hahaha Some how you turned this in to gas. Plenty of gas as we are one the top 3 providers. There is maybe a discussion if it will be sold here and not exported. But.... get ready. Next year they are projected to double another record yr. earnings. Think about that when you pay 5,6,7 at the pump. Guess what? It's not whom is in office.

Little something... why should anyone care about a country somewhere that's not here. Why? Maybe left unchecked you might be an island and powerless. American power is not determent by some guy in iowa with a thought or flag. It's global and backed by a lot of guys in iowa or where ever.

Put yourself on the opitma 6v list and if you get one. Great!

Last edited by Tinker; 07-05-2022 at 01:41 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:48 AM   #38
FrankWest

Quote:

So true..We will all have stationary museum pieces. I met a guy the other day that had a large pickup truck all-electric powered. I don't think he ever considered how he will get the energy to charge his massive batteries....

Last edited by FrankWest; 07-05-2022 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:09 AM   #39
tubman

Quote:

My take on this is completely different; as electric vehicles become more ubiquitous, there will be less and less demand for gasoline. With the petroleum industry infrastructure we currently have, the supply of gasoline will eventually exceed the demand by a large margin. Although I'll probably never see it, I predict gas at less than $1 a gallon down the road.

Also, with the development of battery technology, they'll probably be able to come up with a superior substitute to what we have now.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:09 AM   #40
FrankWest

Quote:
My take on this is completely different; as electric vehicles become more ubiquitous, there will be less and less demand for gasoline. With the petroleum industry infrastructure we currently have, the supply of gasoline will eventually exceed the demand by a large margin. Although I'll probably never see it, I predict gas at less than $1 a gallon down the road.

Also, with the development of battery technology, they'll probably be able to come up with a superior substitute to what we have now.
so true, if less and less people are buying gas the price has got to come down.
Quote:

so true, if less and less people are buying gas the price should come down, except consider the diamond gem market...There are a flood of newly discovered gems not to mention synthetic gemstones but the people that control distribution choose to limit supplies to keep the prices high. In fact, 20 years ago when oil prices were very low the Arab states said they would rather just leave their oil in the ground than sell if a very low prices... like future money in the bank.
I heat my home with oil. hope that comes down before the fall otherwise it cost a fortune to heat my home.

Last edited by FrankWest; 07-05-2022 at 11:41 AM.