Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-22-2022, 07:09 PM   #1
metro1

Default Self adjusting brake conversion

I don't know why I didn't of this before I just replaced all the brakes on my '59 Galaxie but is it worthwhile to go back and add self adjusters now? How much trouble is it? On a car that will not really be driven a lot how often will I have to adjust them anyway.
metro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:37 PM   #2
Stephenorf

Default Re: Self adjusting brake conversion

I think I read somewhere that Ford had switched to self-adjusting brakes by 59.
Stephenorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:42 PM   #3
Ford Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro1 View Post
I don't know why I didn't of this before I just replaced all the brakes on my '59 Galaxie but is it worthwhile to go back and add self adjusters now? How much trouble is it? On a car that will not really be driven a lot how often will I have to adjust them anyway.
Not very often, perhaps every few years. - F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:35 PM   #4
metro1

Not self adjusting on this car unless someone previously took it off.
metro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:26 AM   #5
miker98038

I don’t know about 59, but there’s a part list out there to convert 55-56 birds to rear self adjusters. A 59 should be a 9”, so shouldn’t be a problem. Once the new shoes are seated, it shouldn’t be a big deal. If they were ground to fit the drums (another lost art) even less so.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:03 PM   #6
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: Self adjusting brake conversion

MERCURY - 1957
EDSEL - 1958
LINCOLN - 1959
FORD - 1961

The 'Changeover Kit' requires modification(s) of the self-adjuster parts. I would avoid that method myself.

And then you would need later shoes that have the webs drilled for the self-adjuster hardware.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:23 PM   #7
bobss396

I left my '59 manual. They are not set up for self adjusters as the adjusting slot is in the front of the backing plate. Later self adjusters had slots towards the rear.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:17 PM   #8
KULTULZ

It is (was) recommended in the 1956 OWNERS GUIDE every 5000 miles as an example.

IF the front has been converted to DISC and the rear not upgraded to self-adjust, the driver will not likely notice any decrease in braking performance (other than a lower pedal as wear continues) and the front disc will wear more rapidly, especially if a METERING VALVE is not used in the conversion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956 FORD Owners Manual - Maint Guide - Page27.jpg (54.5 KB, 6 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 06-24-2022, 02:15 AM   #9
evintho

Cool Re: Self adjusting brake conversion

I put self adjusters on my '54. Not sure about '59 Galaxie but mine went on effortlessly. The only mod I had to make was to cut new access holes in the front backing plates for the star wheels. Original holes didn't line up.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attachment.php?
attachmentid=492758&stc=1&d=1656054823

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1656054905
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2415.jpg (50.6 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2419.jpg (35.7 KB, 100 views)
evintho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:51 AM   #10
KULTULZ

Question Re: Self adjusting brake conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by evintho View Post

I put self adjusters on my '54. Not sure about '59 Galaxie but mine went on effortlessly. The only mod I had to make was to cut new access holes in the front backing plates for the star wheels. Original holes didn't line up.

Interesting. Did the rear carrier plates have the adjusting access holes in the correct positions?

What kit(s) did you use and did you have modify the hold-down pins at all? Does yours still have the shoe adjusting cams/eccentrics on the front brakes?

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-24-2022, 12:28 PM   #11
evintho

The access holes on the rear backing plates were about 1/4" off but still allowed access to the star wheels. The front brake shoes, hardware kit, studs and drums are for a '68 Mustang. Perfect fit. Everything bolted right on except for having to make the extra access hole for the star wheels in the '54 backing plates. Pretty common practice on '52-'54 Fords.

Self adjuster left side

Self adjuster right side

Hardware kit

Front brake drum

and BTW, here's the rear replacement drum for '52-'54 Ford stock rearends.
Comes off a '70 Ford Econoline van......

Rear replacement drum
Old 06-24-2022, 05:46 PM   #12
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Self adjusting brake conversion

Quote:
The front brake shoes, hardware kit, studs and drums are for a '68 Mustang
That explains it. Good info to know!

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-24-2022, 08:54 PM   #13
paul2748

I put self adjusters on my 56 Bird. While the numbers for a 59 sedan may be different (different size brakes) there was two mods that I had to make. The first is the odd shaped piece that holds the shoes at the top. It has to be thinner to account for the thickness of the adjuster cable eyelet. The second was the access to the star wheel on the LEFT side - both front and back. You have to make a second slot to access the star wheel. Not a big thing to do - just mark where it should be, drill a hole and elongate it with a tool like a Dremel. I made it the same size as factory so a regular plug will fit

To what extent the 59 sedan is different from a 56 TBird, I don't know. Didn't have to buy new shoes as the old ones had the correct holes.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:08 AM   #14
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Self adjusting brake conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by evintho View Post

The access holes on the rear backing plates were about 1/4" off but still allowed access to the star wheels. The front brake shoes, hardware kit, studs and drums are for a '68 Mustang. Perfect fit. Everything bolted right on except for having to make the extra access hole for the star wheels in the '54 backing plates. Pretty common practice on '52-'54 Fords.

... and BTW, here's the rear replacement drum for '52-'54 Ford stock rearends.

Comes off a '70 Ford Econoline van......

Rear replacement drum
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post

I put self adjusters on my 56 Bird. While the numbers for a 59 sedan may be different (different size brakes) there was two mods that I had to make. The first is the odd shaped piece that holds the shoes at the top. It has to be thinner to account for the thickness of the adjuster cable eyelet. The second was the access to the star wheel on the LEFT side - both front and back. You have to make a second slot to access the star wheel. Not a big thing to do - just mark where it should be, drill a hole and elongate it with a tool like a Dremel. I made it the same size as factory so a regular plug will fit

To what extent the 59 sedan is different from a 56 TBird, I don't know. Didn't have to buy new shoes as the old ones had the correct holes.
OK, I see where you guys are coming from now. It is do-able.

Being the OCD person that I am, I would want to go to later model(s) take-offs but the junk-yard days are gone.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-26-2022, 04:22 PM   #15
evintho

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
I put self adjusters on my 56 Bird. The first is the odd shaped piece that holds the shoes at the top. It has to be thinner to account for the thickness of the adjuster cable eyelet. The second was the access to the star wheel on the LEFT side - both front and back. You have to make a second slot to access the star wheel. Not a big thing to do - just mark where it should be, drill a hole and elongate it with a tool like a Dremel. I made it the same size as factory so a regular plug will fit.
Paul is right! I forgot about the washer that holds the shoes at the top. Had to make those too. I used about 10ga sheet metal and cut 'em to shape.....

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1656278471
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2413.jpg (36.5 KB, 6 views)