Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-17-2022, 01:21 PM   #1
jefeingold

Default SBF tri-power woes - smoking like a chimney

I've installed a vintage Ford performance tri-power set-up (Buddy Bar manifold) on my 347 sbf. The Holley carbs (dated 1964) are List 2436 (primary) and 2868 (Secondaries). Prior to install I cleaned, re-surfaced to flatten warpage, centered the throttle plates, replaced everything, and generally rebuilt.

Synching the linkage and fabbing an accelerator linkage took some fiddling, but it's now done and correct. The engine starts, runs, and idles well and sounds amazing, but upon warm-up it begins to push clouds of blue/white smoke out the exhaust. It never did that with the former Holley 4160, so I don't think the rings or valve seals suddenly went south; the pvc is fine. All I can figure is that the carbs are dumping fuel into the manifold, since it looks too wet when I peek down the barrels (accounting for the shot by the accelerator pumps). I've even lowered the fuel bowl floats to eliminate the common problem of flooding from overfilled bowls. I cannot see or find any leaks, inside or outside. In addition, I cannot find any leakage on the bench with carbs hooked up to a fuel pump.

I do have a sneaking suspicion that these carbs might be simply worn out (although spraying starting fluid around them I can't find vacuum leaks, even at the throttle shafts).

By the way, initial timing is 15 degrees BTDC, oil is fresh, and pump gas is 93 octane.

Any ideas what's going on and steps to take to sort this out?
jefeingold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:36 PM   #2
Stephenorf

Default Re: SBF tri-power woes - smoking like a chimney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefeingold View Post

The engine starts, runs, and idles well and sounds amazing, but upon warm-up it begins to push clouds of blue/white smoke out the exhaust.
Since it doesn't heppen until the engine warms up, do you think the "white" smoke might be steam from a blown head gasket? Sometimes a blown head gasket can allow water into the cylinder causing steam to come out of the exhaust. Just an idea.

Last edited by Stephenorf; 06-17-2022 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Stephenorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:28 PM   #3
jefeingold

yeah, but the smoke is pretty oily smelling, and it's spewing equal out of both exhausts, so I don't think it's coolant from a blown head gasket.
Old 06-17-2022, 04:50 PM   #4
Stephenorf

Quote:
yeah, but the smoke is pretty oily smelling, and it's spewing equal out of both exhausts, so I don't think it's coolant from a blown head gasket.
I'm not suggesting that it is a head gasket issue, but keep in mind that if your exhaust has an X-pipe or crossover, the exhaust from one side can migrate to the opposite side. And a blown head gasket is usually more noticable on acceleration.
Stephenorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 06:16 PM   #5
KULTULZ

Question Re: SBF tri-power woes - smoking like a chimney

Do you have a vacuum gauge?

With the carbs apart, did you record jet sizes, power valve sizes, metering block ID, etc?

The previous owner may have jacked them up.

EDIT -

Quote:
The Holley carbs (dated 1964) are List 2436 (primary)
That center carb is from a 1961/62 390HP or 1962/63 406HP. That is a lot of carb.

Again, can you give the FORD CASTING ID/DATECODE Nos if still there?

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 06-17-2022 at 08:16 PM. Reason: The Usual
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 06:47 PM   #6
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: SBF tri-power woes - smoking like a chimney

Quote:
Synching the linkage and fabbing an accelerator linkage took some fiddling, but it's now done and correct.
Here's something that might frost you package -

ACCEL LINKAGE KITS WERE AVAILABLE

1963 FALCON - C3DZ 9B843-A
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACCEL CONTROL KIT (9B843) - 1963-64 COBRA.jpg (19.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg ACCEL CONTROL KIT (9B843) - 1965-67.jpg (20.7 KB, 5 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:38 AM   #7
jefeingold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kultulz View Post
do you have a vacuum gauge? Yes - and it's pulling a good 18.

With the carbs apart, did you record jet sizes, power valve sizes, metering block id, etc?

The previous owner may have jacked them up. Strangely, no. It's off a 289 and jetted/etc. Properly for that

edit -

that center carb is from a 1961/62 390hp or 1962/63 406hp. That is a lot of carb. Yeah, at 330cfm my primary is bigger than the 265cfm normal 289 kit carbs (list 2867 or 2881), but it runs real nice on the 330.

Again, can you give the ford casting id/datecode nos if still there?
all 1964 dates. The buddy bar manifold is 8-64
Old 06-18-2022, 09:43 AM   #8
jefeingold

Final post (I think).

The issue is that when setting up and tuning the carbs I dumped a ton of gas into the manifold that, of course, made its way into the crankcase, thereby diluting the oil. The exhaust system thereby got a good internal coating and dose of diluted oil. New oil and filter is on, and the carbs tuned properly; no more gas leaks. The engine runs perfectly, now. However, I've got a few miles to go before I burn all the diluted fuel out of the exhaust system, and that's the root source of the stinky smoke I'm emitting. No smoke till the engine warms up, and as the exhaust system gets hot, it begins to blow smoke like a smoke bomb. Let it cool off, and there's no smoke till the exhaust heats up again. That's it.
Old 06-18-2022, 10:29 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: SBF tri-power woes - smoking like a chimney

Quote:

Final post (I think).

The issue is that when setting up and tuning the carbs I dumped a ton of gas into the manifold that, of course, made its way into the crankcase, thereby diluting the oil. The exhaust system thereby got a good internal coating and dose of diluted oil. New oil and filter is on, and the carbs tuned properly; no more gas leaks. The engine runs perfectly, now. However, I've got a few miles to go before I burn all the diluted fuel out of the exhaust system, and that's the root source of the stinky smoke I'm emitting. No smoke till the engine warms up, and as the exhaust system gets hot, it begins to blow smoke like a smoke bomb. Let it cool off, and there's no smoke till the exhaust heats up again. That's it.
!!! GOOD DIAGNOSIS !!!

I was going to suggest once running correctly to pull the dipstick and give it the sniff test. The same principle applies to late models that have O2 SENSORS on them. Diluted oil throws everything off.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 06-18-2022, 06:49 PM   #10
robib

Where is the vacuum source for your PCV?
robib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:18 PM   #11
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: SBF tri-power woes - smoking like a chimney

Quote:
Originally Posted by robib View Post

Where is the vacuum source for your PCV?
Try to PM the original poster and ask. He must not get here often. Of course, let the rest of us know also ...

EDIT - 20 JUN 2022

I sent a PM to the OP. Hopefully he will see it and get back as I am wondering also ...

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 06-20-2022 at 08:18 AM. Reason: THE USUAL
Old 06-19-2022, 07:00 PM   #12
Gene F

Water from some place. Bet the radiator is dropping a little.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 07:03 PM   #13
Gene F

I put a tri-power on my 57, and really kinda like it.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote