Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2021, 06:31 PM   #1
Bud

Default Model A Counterbalanced Crankshaft

I know vendors today manufacture counterbalanced crankshafts for Model A's (SCAT & Burlington). I also know that many vendors today modify non-balanced cranks into balanced cranks by welding on weights, straightening the cranks and regrinding.
I also know of the Model B cranks with integral counterweights, plus the BB cranks with swedged-on counterweights. I also know that some have taken B counterweighted cranks and turned the journals down to work in A engines.

But did Ford ever produce a forged one-piece crankshaft with counterweights for a Model A engine? Did some vendor (other than SCAT or Burlington) make a forged one-piece crankshaft with counterweights for a Model A engine in the years after the Model A? Who?

Next question: If such an animal exists (one-piece crankshaft with counterweights for a Model A journal size), what should one look for to see if the crankshaft is still useful?
Thanks.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:51 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Model A Counterbalanced Crankshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
...did Ford ever produce a forged one-piece crankshaft with counterweights for a Model A engine? Did some vendor (other than SCAT or Burlington) make a forged one-piece crankshaft with counterweights for a Model A engine in the years after the Model A? Who?

Next question: If such an animal exists (one-piece crankshaft with counterweights for a Model A journal size), what should one look for to see if the crankshaft is still useful?
Thanks.
I have never seen prints nor have I seen evidence that Ford manufactured a counterweighted production crankshaft.

I recall seeing a crankshaft many years ago (-like when I was in my preteen years) that was said to be an old CW crankshaft. I can remember dad & I discussing it years later and our speculation was that it was a B crank that had the journals ground to A sizes.

As with any crankshaft, initially see if passes the ring test. Next mic the journal sizes to make sure it can be used. Then have it 'wet-magged' to check for cracks.

In all of this, consider your overall investment and determine if using an old crankshaft is prudent. In the grand scheme of things, a SCAT crankshaft is not that much more than a Burlington, and SCAT will stand behind their products. Likely because the machine work and the Q/C are done here stateside. Likewise, I have experienced two engine failures with a Burlington crankshaft due to the Burlington journals not properly heat treated. I was 'on my own' with both of those as there is no warranty expressed or implied with that crank. For that reason alone, I will never install another Burlington crank.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:59 AM   #3
john charlton

Default Re: Model A Counterbalanced Crankshaft

AA Trucks were built at Fords giant plant at Dagenham east of London on the river Thames with its own dock . These were built into 1936 and many thousand built fitted with the fully conterweighted B engine . These cranks are still easily available here . They have been fitted to A blocks over the years some have all journals turned down but most have only the mains turned down the big ends remain B size . When this is done the oilpan has to be "dressed" in way of the big ends so they do not foul the pan skirt . This give a smoother engine and the smaller dia mains seem to hold up well with the added rotating weight Friend ran a town sedan with this done for many years . As an aside the oilpan with these engines had the AAE oilpan with no flywheel shroud so to mate up to the A flywheel housing .

John in rainy Somerset County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote