Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2020, 03:07 AM   #21
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 1941 super deluxe production number

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41? View Post
Thanks for the info. I have the hood and fenders off so a picture won't help. It doesn't have the original engine or trans. It had a late model Ford engine and trans which I removed. The serial number had both stars and looks to have been hand stamped so I agree that the Merc engine would make sense.
Just try to appear nonchalant when you walk-in and present your case. Above all, DO NOT bring attention to the fact that this is an "oddball" deal. You're not doing anything illegal, but "oddball" situations CAN become very 'messy' in a hurry if you happen-upon the WRONG, "helpful, expert, friendly and know-it-all" DMV critter. Where are you trying (which state) to register this car? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:15 AM   #22
corvette8n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41? View Post
I live in Wisconsin. The frame shows no signs of being changed.
He said Wisconsin.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:20 AM   #23
rotorwrench

There seems to be some things here that could be inconsistent with actual number use in that time frame. The "99" engines were an option for 1940 cars on special order but not so much for 1941 or 42 due to the war build up. While I never say never, it could be that the Ford was "specially produced" with the "99" prefix but it could also be a frame change due to a crusty rusty frame unless the original transmission stamping matches the frame stamping. The frame difference was only 4 inches between Ford and Mercury in 1941 and they are very similar. We have had discussions about the torque tube lengths and the way the front radius rod ball was mounted for the Mercury cars. This doesn't answer the number discrepancy though. The other possibility is that it has a post war Ford car frame. The numbers seem to indicate that the serial number is from the 1946 model year. They broke the 1 million number with the 99A prefix that year.

The 221 V8 was always 85 horse power but the numbers were loosely played with after the war. The G series 6-cylinder was new for 1941 and was 90 horse power. The 239 started out at 95 horse power in 1939 but evolved to 100 horse power after the war. You can find this in the prewar parts catalogs. After the war and up through the green bible final edition of 1950 or so was when the numbers changed. They referred to all the 239 CID engines as 100 HP in that publication. The 59 series 239 engines were the 100-HP version but they had some differences from the prewar engines that gave them the new rating designation.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:05 PM   #24
41?

I got the title!!! I had to mail the info in. The DMV said I had to register ir as a 46 so I did. Had to have a surety bond.($100) But I do have a title and hobbyist plates.
41? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:50 PM   #25
tubman

There seems to be something going here on that I don't understand. '41's and '46's are very different cars and I don't see how this could happen.

I wish you good will, but I'd keep my eyes open.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:01 AM   #26
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
There seems to be something going here on that I don't understand. '41's and '46's are very different cars and I don't see how this could happen.

Well......they ain't THAT different. In fact, looking from the angle depicted in these two shots below, they're pretty damned similar. Front ends are certainly different. Now I don't know if the front clip can be swapped on these two rigs, but if so, we may just have the answer. His numbering definitely falls within the late '46 model numbering sequence. Do you possibly have pictures of the front fenders/grill on this car? If so and you can't post them, you can e-mail the pic(s) to me at e-mail below, and I will post for you. You must'a kept your cool and done GOOD at DMV!!

One more way of telling for sure. See the last two pictures at bottom of this post! DD

[email protected]

'41

'46

__________________________________________________ _____

1941 Dash

1946 Dash

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 03-24-2021, 01:14 PM   #27
jimvette59

V8COOPMAN isn't the H on the transmission you posted from A LZ ?
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:27 PM   #28
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvette59 View Post
V8COOPMAN isn't the H on the transmission you posted from A LZ ?
I would say YES....from a late '36 Lincoln Zep! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE