Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2022, 04:50 PM   #1
Feathercraft56

Default 1934 fordor with Mitchell Overdrive

Just finished installing a 36 percent OD in my 1934 Fordor. When I lowered the car the bottom of the floor board is resting on OD. Called Steve Mitchell and he did not have a clue. Said he has never had this happen in all the years he's been doing OD's. He suggested I try adding a leaf to my springs which is not going to happen. I don't have a spring issue and the cars sets just fine.
Does anybody know what must be done to correct this issue? I Would greatly appreciate any help I could get...
Feathercraft56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 05:05 PM   #2
38 coupe

Default Re: 1934 fordor with Mitchell Overdrive

A Houston V8 Club member installed a Mitchell in a 34 tudor a few years back. He had to cut open the floor and weld in box sections to clear the overdrive. I have been told that big block stamped steel valve covers make a good source for the shape and thickness metal needed for this modification.

This is the main reason I have not been willing to put a Mitchell in a Pre War car (pickups are no problem).
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 06:11 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathercraft56 View Post
Just finished installing a 36 percent OD in my 1934 Fordor. When I lowered the car the bottom of the floor board is resting on OD. Called Steve Mitchell and he did not have a clue. Said he has never had this happen in all the years he's been doing OD's. He suggested I try adding a leaf to my springs which is not going to happen. I don't have a spring issue and the cars sets just fine.
Does anybody know what must be done to correct this issue? I Would greatly appreciate any help I could get...
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but this IS NOT new news. I find it difficult to comprehend how Mr. Mitchell has never heard of this situation. Just for what it's worth, here is a photo that I posted on FordBarn a while back of a Mitchell in a '47. And I believe they infringe even more severely on the earlier cars.

Coop/AMERICAN

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 06:18 PM   #4
Feathercraft56

Thank you 38 Coupe for your reply. I appreciate that information and will look further into your suggestion. I can appreciate your concerns too..
I purchased my first Mitchell OD from the lovely Sue Mitchell and installed it in my 1931 Model A Tudor with no problems and love it. The Mitchell Family is the best and that's why I came back for another for the 34. Great products and People, just wish Steve would have let me know "they don't fit" without modifications...
My bad for not exploring all the possibilities...
Old 06-04-2022, 06:23 PM   #5
Feathercraft56

Thank you V8 COOPMAN for your input and photo, very helpful. Looks like I'll be pulling the carpet out of the rear of my 34 Fordor.
Old 06-05-2022, 03:38 AM   #6
Lawrie

I had measured up one for my 33 fordor,and the box for clearance would;protrude in front of the seat on the foot well, some from Europe;posted a really nice installation;a while back
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:18 PM   #7
Bored&Stroked

While I have nothing bad to say about his products, I think most of us would consider his statement "never heard of that in all the years" as a bunch of hog wash. I hate "happy talk" statements like that - just tell the truth, let people know what they're in for and don't hide from issues that you KNOW are going to happen.

There are countless threads related to the fact that floor pans will need to be modified on the majority of 32 and later Mitchell installations - probably EVERY one of them! This situation is not new to us and surely not new to him.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:55 PM   #8
Feathercraft56

Thanks for all the input I really appreciate the comments. I've pulled the overdrive back out along with the seats and carpet. Started measuring for what modifications will be needed to fix this mess. I will post some pics for the next person that falls into this trap.
It really makes me mad to think I was sold something that when installed, and you let your car back down on the floor the bottom of the car comes slightly in contact with the Overdrive. Just me setting in the driver seat your slightly crunching the floorboard.
To top it all off, I had to Paid $3400.00 and waited 7 months.
Another sign of the times we live in.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:07 AM   #9
A bones

They used to speak about the modifications to the floor.

Disappointing when people aren't forthright. I'm the sort who would get the ear of the fellow you spoke with, to let him know it ain't no secret.

When its all done, Happy Cruising.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:53 AM   #10
Feathercraft56

Thank you A bones I appreciate your comments...
Enjoy your day Sir.
Old 06-06-2022, 01:43 PM   #11
Automotive Stud

That's my '47 club coupe in the above picture. It cleared initially but would hit on bumps. I used a 289 valve cover I had laying around.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:29 PM   #12
Tinker

When I bought my 38 truck unit they asked if it was a car and stated there might be clearance needed. But not with my truck.

Kind of hard to believe something that was well know and not a secret from them, is now not. But I'll take your word for it.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote