Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
36 West

Default 1930 model A deluxe Coupe - oil concerns

Just bought my first Model A, 1930 deluxe coupe, restored to original factory specs and I am a new member of the Ford Barn.

The car was nicely restored but I am concerned about a couple of things, the rear main leaks a 3-4" puddle after some driving and when I run it at idle in the shop (mixture knob all the way closed), it spits oily soot out the exhaust on the concrete floor.

Are these things normal for these old 4 bangers or might I have a problem that needs to be addressed with the engine?

What do ya'all think?
36 West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
pat in Santa Cruz

Default Re: 1930 model A deluxe Coupe - oil concerns

the soot is because its running too rich. Since its at idle, leaning the idle mix might be the simple solution. Turn the idle mix screw ( the one in the casting) out to lean it while you listen to the engine for speed and smooth operation. Leaning it will increase the idle speed, so you might need to reduce the idle speed with the screw on the throttle lever.

as far as the oil leak, that's excessive. start by reading this link, then do a search on this site for oil leaks. Its a common problem.
http://www.antiqueenginerebuilding.c...RMAINLEAK.html
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:27 PM   #3
tbirdtbird
BANNED

how many miles on the engine overhaul?

just as a good practice, why not get a set of compression readings when warm and record them away for safe keeping. Be sure ALL plugs are out and throttle wide open when u do the test.

do the plugs look carbon fouled?
have someone drive behind you and see if you are blowing black smoke out the pipe. There are many reasons a Zenith can be over rich; but that may not be your problem. Do some diagnostics first.

Do not run a Model A too lean else you will burn valves

search here on the barn, a wealth of knowledge.
don't be afraid to ask questions. The more data you can pack into your question the better we can help you
Old 03-28-2014, 10:34 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Assuming you have a stock Zenith carb the mixture is adjusted buy turning in the screw until the car wants to stall and counting the revolutions as you back it out until it want to stall and then turning it back in 1/2 the number of revolutions your counted.

While the oil leak is excessive, depending on how much you drive the car you could run for years that way.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
36 West

Thanks Guys,

Don't know how many miles on rebuild but I know it has been mostly parked since then and I know the guy I got it from had to clean the carb before the exchange.

I was planning to do a compression check, examine the plugs, etc., just to see for myself. The car seems to run Kinda rough but it has good torque and does not stall, I assume it to be normal for these old engines to run like this.

I also saw the thread about upgrading to a V-8 transmission, think I'll be going on a parts search.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
rscardina

You may want to check your oil level. I run mine on the low end between the L and F on the dipstick. I hear 4 to 4.5 quarts. I have heard that the oil level being too high can cause leakage. I am fairly new to Model A's so maybe someone with more experience will chime in.
rscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #7
Fred K-OR

"it spits oily soot out the exhaust on the concrete floor"
Is this after you run awhile or when you first start it and it is cold? Mine will do this until it is warmed up. I think this is normal when you have cold weather.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
36 West

When cold, I have it parked in the shop and would just start it to warm it up to listen to the rough idle and fool with the adjuster knob looking to smooth out the idle a bit.

I also have a fuel leak from the carb, need to replace the shut off valve inside the cab because it won't shut all the way unless I tighten it with pliers. The gas is dripping out the carb onto the floor, Thinking maybe I might need to rebuild the carb too!

Thanks for all the responses and ideas.

Randy
Old 03-30-2014, 11:39 PM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36 West View Post
Thanks Guys,

Don't know how many miles on rebuild but I know it has been mostly parked since then and I know the guy I got it from had to clean the carb before the exchange.

I was planning to do a compression check, examine the plugs, etc., just to see for myself. The car seems to run Kinda rough but it has good torque and does not stall, I assume it to be normal for these old engines to run like this.

I also saw the thread about upgrading to a V-8 transmission, think I'll be going on a parts search.
My advice, drive the car as it is, learn to double clutch as it is not rocket science. Save the transmission money for gas and drive the car. Join a local club. heck you don't even tell us where you live there may be another A owner down the next street.

After giving it some time, playing with and adjusting things, then decide if you want to modify it.

There was a guy here not that long ago that bought an A with the sole purpose to Rod it. Once he drove it around some he decided to keep it stock and loves it. I'm not saying you were planning to rod it. I'm just saying, get in it drive it and if you have problems ask here.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:33 AM   #10
Brentwood Bob

always run the carb empty when you shut down. shut off the valve under the tank, and let the motor run out of gas. Hope you find someone near you to help you learn about operating and maintaining the car. Bob
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #11
36 West

I live out highway 36 west from Red Bluff, Northern California, soon to be the new state of "Jefferson".

I am planning to drive it and fiddle with it plenty before I decide if I want to make any changes, just wanted some unbiased input about some of the things about the car that I am unfamiliar with.

Been building and messin with cars all my life but this is my first A so I'm not sure about what is normal and what needs attention.

I was thinking that running it out of gas when I park it for a while would be a good idea.

Thanks, all
Old 03-31-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
Fred K-OR

If the puddle of oil under it is a problem, you can buy from most of the Model A vendors a thing that hangs under the area where the oil leaks and keeps it from going on your floor. I think they call it an oil "diaper" or something like that. Good name for this kind of problem.

Good luck with your new state of Jefferson. Wish Oregon would consider something like that.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #13
Duffy1

Being at the full mark will not cause a good engine to leak oil .
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #14
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
If the puddle of oil under it is a problem, you can buy from most of the Model A vendors a thing that hangs under the area where the oil leaks and keeps it from going on your floor. I think they call it an oil "diaper" or something like that. Good name for this kind of problem...
It's actually called "Rear Main Janitor" (at least by Snyders) A-6768 $19./95

When I used one, I took some absorbent pads and cut them to fit in the bottom of the tray.

Fixed the rear main & now it doesn't leak, so I don't use it anymore.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote