Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2023, 08:40 PM   #1
OldGold360

Default Stamped 8BA bell housing measurement needed

Hello folks,
I need a little help. Does anybody have a stamped 8ba bell housing that they wouldn’t mind taking a measurement for me. The stamped 8ba has the thick reinforcement pieces welded to the flange of the bell. I would like to know the thickness of just this reinforcement “doubler”, not the total thickness of both the doubler and flange. A fairly accurate measurement with calipers would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CA8ECE0B-A231-4870-907D-6DAD8612E92B.jpeg (32.8 KB, 229 views)
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 08:43 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Stamped 8BA bell housing measurement needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGold360 View Post
Hello folks,
I need a little help. Does anybody have a stamped 8ba bell housing that they wouldn’t mind taking a measurement for me. The stamped 8ba has the thick reinforcement pieces welded to the flange of the bell. I would like to know the thickness of just this reinforcement “doubler”, not the total thickness of both the doubler and flange. A fairly accurate measurement with calipers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 11:18 AM   #3
rotorwrench

The 8CM Mercury half bell had variations from 1949 through early 1951 (February 51), This was likely to reinforce the starter location where it met up with the lower starter plate. There were variations in the starter plate for that time period as well. Some had the pan attachment angle bolted to the starter plate and some had the angle spot welded on. The Mercury Oil pan that these worked with also had three studs at the bottom rear of the pan for all that stuff to attach as well. All of my half bells are either on the cars of buried in storage. If you have one that doesn't have that reinforcement then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Ford cars (8BA) had a different clutch, bell housing, and starter plate as well as a different transmission. The pickups had a different pan and half bell that they shared with other trucks. The half bell is cast iron on those and they have a more complex dust seal set up to reinforce that area.

This is from the flathead V8 Techno Archive.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160318...ellhousing.pdf

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-02-2023 at 11:34 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 09:04 AM   #4
OldGold360

Thanks, but it’s not for repairing anything. I do not have a stamped bell housing and was asked by a friend who is currently overseas to help make something for his custom rod he is building. I just need to know the thickness of the small reinforcement piece. I figured someone had a stamped bell housing laying around they could measure. Or, if someone has one for sale, I’ll buy it.
Old 05-03-2023, 10:44 AM   #5
rotorwrench

There are several on flea-pay right now but I wouldn't purchase one with out the starter plate and it helps to have the 8CM oil pan as well. This allows a good fit of an 8BA in any of the earlier flathead V8 Fords or say an AV8 project using a top shift 91A style transmission. This stuff is getting pricey these days. The truck stuff will work as well but a person needs the pan, baffle, and starter plate on those. Hopefully someone has one handy to measure on. Folks know these parts are usable for AV8 conversions so there aren't as many as there once was. It's usually better to find an old 49 though early 51 Mercury take out motor and just buy the whole thing. If the block and crank are good then a person has a basis for an old style hot rod. The flywheel and clutch will also work with a 91A type top shift transmission.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-03-2023 at 11:04 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 11:43 AM   #6
marko39

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGold360 View Post
Hello folks,

Thanks!
Just checked one from a 49-51 car and as close as I could measure was approximately 7/32. Which one are you looking for?
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 02:06 PM   #7
OldGold360

Thanks Marko. Sorry to be a bother. Unfortunately I don’t have access to a stamped version for this measurement. I’ll either buy one or wait till my friend is home in a couple months and have him measure it. Thanks
Old 05-04-2023, 07:58 PM   #8
old splicer

.175-.180 for the plate,
old splicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 09:27 AM   #9
flatrod

I measured one here, came up with .200 to .210. The one on the other side was the same thickness.
flatrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 10:22 AM   #10
cas3

I have a few of the cast versions with starter plate for sale if you wish, send me a pm
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 12:28 PM   #11
OldGold360

Thanks for the help. I do appreciate it.