Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2021, 09:11 PM   #1
Kelly mt

Default RH Drive Model A

I'm looking at a '30 right hand drive model A Touring. Older restoration, runs good, very good top and seats with side curtains. Pretty solid car. What is a reasonable price? This car came up from Argentina. Any parts problems with right hand drive cars? Thanks for any information.
Kelly mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:55 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: RH Drive Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly mt View Post
I'm looking at a '30 right hand drive model A Touring. Older restoration, runs good, very good top and seats with side curtains. Pretty solid car. What is a reasonable price? This car came up from Argentina. Any parts problems with right hand drive cars? Thanks for any information.
There are problems with some parts. The vendors seem to be unaware of the existence of RHD Model As. Some of the things you won't get that spring to mind are :
  • Pedal shaft ( RHD are 1" dia, not 7/8") and pedal bushes although it has been suggested that gudgeon bushes will do the trick
  • The pedal stop on the end of the shaft (1", remember)
  • Clutch lever on the lower shaft (modify a LHD one)
  • the bell crank for the ignition timing and for that matter, the inlet manifold itself
  • Pitman arm
  • Steering arms
  • Brake cross shaft
  • Bell housing
  • The mechanism that bolts to the back of the block to operate the starter
  • The throttle mechanism that clamps to the steering column.
  • Stop light switch (you'll have to graft in a LHD one)
    All of the control rods for timing and throttle.
Most of those things can be reconditioned by the same people as do the LD parts, just no prompt exchange. Parts venders in RHD countries carry some of those parts specially made for their market and Sammy Guthrie in Arizona (Arizona Model A) keeps quite a few RHD components including steering box worm and sector etc. The wiring loom need slight modification. It you use a LHD one and flip it over, you need to lengthen the horn wires and allow for the tail and stop lights.
It's not as bad as all that. We manage!
It's difficult to give an idea on price because we are in different markets. What is the owner asking?

Last edited by Synchro909; 02-27-2021 at 10:08 PM.
Synchro909 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:29 PM   #3
Kelly mt

He mentioned 9K.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:28 AM   #4
Jembow

My only problem with the RHD As I have driven is the centre gas pedal, find it uncomfortable holding my right leg over towards it. Of course that's the British built version, the Argentine version may have a normal right hand pedal

Last edited by Jembow; 02-28-2021 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Added comment
Jembow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:55 AM   #5
john charlton

All RHD cars have the gas pedal in the middle . Many English cars of other makes in this time had this setup as well so Ford just followed suite . I have RHD and LHD cars on the road and have no problem switching car to car . The RHD has the adjustable foot rest as the LHD just pivot your foot as LHD very comfortable no problem . I have seen some cars here where drastic surgery such as heating and bending pedals to put the gas pedal to the right a waste of time in my view . Driving a LHD car in RHD country is no problem you do need good mirrors, one slight disadvantage is pulling out from behind a vehicle to overtake but this is seldom as I am way slower and everybody passes me !!! There should be no problem with spare parts new repro parts for the steering boxes are held by most all vendors . The steering arms can be reballed and all other steering are the same track rod ends etc etc . The Pitman arm can be heated and twisted to get correct ball alignment this has been many times and I have never heard of any failures but it is easier to reball an original . You just need to extend the horn wire the rest of the harness is the same it just runs down the right frame rail no problem . The 30/31 brake light switch is frame mounted and is the same as LHD the holes are in the frame to mount it . The 28/29 switch on RHD is bolted to the frame not the trans top .I cant remember but I think I have used a LHD one and fitted it to the trans top upside down I must lift a floor board and see what I did a long time ago now . Please do not convert it to LHD it is just not worth the bother IMHO .The 9K price is very fair if it was for sale in UK at that price it would be snapped up in an instant . As it is from South America it might look good but as most are could be mechanically shot from front to back so beware . Anyway all parts are available and the pedal shaft, collar and bushes are easily made .Make sure it has all its RHD parts if it is a driver it should have .

John in lovely sunny morning morning Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:35 AM   #6
Mike Peters

Living here in the land of LHD, I admit to having never seen a RHD Model A. Could one of you gentlemen provide a photo of what a RHD car looks like from the point of view of the driver? You know, where the choke, gas pedal, clutch and brake Pedals are located? I would assume that the gear shift lever is the same as LHD, but you would use your left hand to shift it? Thanks. Just curious.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:01 AM   #7
ronn

I have the same car and love it. 9k is truly a gift. buy it and drive it like you stole it!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:11 AM   #8
Jeff P. / MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
Living here in the land of LHD, I admit to having never seen a RHD Model A. Could one of you gentlemen provide a photo of what a RHD car looks like from the point of view of the driver? You know, where the choke, gas pedal, clutch and brake Pedals are located? I would assume that the gear shift lever is the same as LHD, but you would use your left hand to shift it? Thanks. Just curious.
Mike Peters.....here is a pic of a RHD Model A I am looking at seriously. I am wondering if there is a source for a front floormat for these cars as this one is obviously missing it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A1D84DF6-403B-46EE-8C48-2AD2032247A3.jpg (17.1 KB, 139 views)
1948 Chrysler New Yorker
Jeff P. / MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:47 AM   #9
Mike Peters

Jeff: Thanks for the photo! Unless it's an optical illusion, the emergency brake handle is to the left of the gear shift lever? The gas pedal is between the clutch and brake pedals. You could use either foot for that? The starter switch pedal is sort of in the middle? How does that hook up to the starter? Levers? What really looks handy is the choke/GAV. I've startled more than one passenger when I reached over to adjust the fuel mixture with our left hand car. Ladies especially can become very uncomfortable with that arrangement.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:55 AM   #10
Jeff P. / MN

Mike, the car I am looking at is a mid 1928.....note the red steering wheel. My only hesitation on this car is all four fenders are ‘glass.
1948 Chrysler New Yorker
Jeff P. / MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:51 PM   #11
Juggler

RHD starter pedal setup

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kFNxzZ]
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:53 PM   #12
john charlton

Early cars had the hand brake lever ahead of the shifter so the transmission top is the same for both LHD and RHD . Later RHD cars the handbrake lever is to the left of the shifter as LHD is to the right . So there is a RHD trans top and a LHD trans top. The starter has a bracket bolted to the upper two bolts of the flywheel housing a linkage operates the operation maybe my son can post a pic (I dont have the technology !!!

John in Suffolk County England .
Old 02-28-2021, 12:59 PM   #13
john charlton

There is a LHD trans top and a RHD trans top for the later cars so the hand brake is away from the shifter . The earlier cars the hand brake was in the regular position ahead of the shifter . The starter is operated using a bracket and linkage bolted to the upper two flywheel housing bolts .

John in same place same weather .
Old 02-28-2021, 01:02 PM   #14
john charlton

The board would not accept my first post and said try again ,so I did .

Still John
Old 02-28-2021, 03:58 PM   #15
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P. / MN View Post
Mike Peters.....here is a pic of a RHD Model A I am looking at seriously. I am wondering if there is a source for a front floormat for these cars as this one is obviously missing it.
I cut my own from reinforced rubber sheeting I buy. I believe the Model A Ford Club of South Australia make repro mats.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:27 AM   #16
updraught

RHD chassis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RHD chassis.jpg (82.8 KB, 89 views)
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:47 AM   #17
ronn

Mine had a bad 2nd gear. Fella who works on my cars took out the guts from a LHD trans I gave him and everything fit perfectly.

these really arent that complicated. When I bought mine, was going to switch it to LHD but never bothered as its great fun the way it is.

9K is silly money for a phaeton.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:18 AM   #18
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
RHD chassis
Thank you for posting your picture, I've never seen a RHD in person.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:48 PM   #19
SDeviney

I’ve always thought it was interesting how there are holes for a steering box on both right and left frame rails. Thought it would be cool to make my own right hand drive one day. Just because it would be something different. Seems like a handful of modifications that wouldn’t be too terribly difficult. Thanks fo the information guys
SDeviney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:28 AM   #20
Kelly mt

Where were the right hand drive cars built?
Old 03-03-2021, 05:36 PM   #21
Synchro909

Quote:
Where were the right hand drive cars built?
Anywhere but the US.
There was a policy in the British Commonwealth back then that C'wealth countries deal with C'wealth countries where ever possible. The US had removed themselves from the C'wealth so trading with them was out of the question. That meant 20-25 % of the world's population (which was part of the RHD world along with Japan and a few others) was not accessible to US manufacturers so they opened factories in C'wealth countries. Canada was a common one. Others were built in England, South Africa, Australia, just to name a few.
FWIW, GM has recently announced that they are no longer going to make any RHD cars - anywhere. Not that they are likely to sell many cars here ever again after what they did to the Australian operation. There have been no new Chevs, Pontiacs, Olds, Buick etc sold in Australia since 1948 so they are just as much "just another foreign car" as the Chinese or Korean ones.
Ford followed GM by closing down their local operations and are regarded pretty much the same. As a result, very few American cars are seen on the roads here partly because conversion to RHD is just too difficult in a modern car with air bags etc.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:11 PM   #22
30Murray

If you look at the Canadian Model A Ford Foundation website (CMAFF.com) you will find Australian instruction manuals which have illustrations of the controls that will show you the differences.
30Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:10 AM   #23
dave in australia

On the early 28's, the hand brake lever was on the right side of the driver, against the kick panel. Think of a mirror of early 28 LHD. The starter pedal was also in front of the L/H seat, it was not until late 28 that the starter was moved to in front of the gear stick. Also, the drum tail light made a re-appearance on some Australian 1930 A's, and a different bracket was used. Some Australian colour combinations are also different. Some combinations had brown mudguards (fenders) with tan bodies, a dark green- mid green combination, coloured wheels etc.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:32 AM   #24
john charlton

Detroit did build RHD vehicles for export mainly to non British Commonwealth countries which were served "in house" by the Canadian plant . One big export market was South American RHD countries such as Argentina and Uruguay . Canada did also export RHD cars to South America Sammy Guthrie in sunny Chandler AZ has a 1929 phaeton in from Argentina with funky bumper clamps and Robertson screws .RHD cars were available in USA also probably special order. There is a picture in the de Angelis book " The Model A Ford as Henry Built It " of a daughter driving mom off a USA production line in a RHD 28/29 Tudor . RHD parts were also USA made many steering parts have the "Moore" drop forge symbol on them . The English plant did not import from Canada all early cars and later "knock down" parts were sourced from USA .

John in bright cloudy cold Suffolk County England .

Last edited by john charlton; 03-04-2021 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:25 AM   #25
McMimmcs

I also bought one 3 years ago and certainly paid more than 9k. If no major problems, it is a steal!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:06 PM   #26
KGBnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Ford followed GM by closing down their local operations and are regarded pretty much the same. As a result, very few American cars are seen on the roads here partly because conversion to RHD is just too difficult in a modern car with air bags etc.
I thought that Ford still had an Australian division. Weren't they still making cars using the Falcon name? I had heard that Ford Australia made really good cars. If they are gone, how long has it been?

Ken
Old 03-04-2021, 03:35 PM   #27
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBnut View Post
I thought that Ford still had an Australian division. Weren't they still making cars using the Falcon name? I had heard that Ford Australia made really good cars. If they are gone, how long has it been?

Ken
Ford closed their Australian manufacturing plants in 2017. You are correct in that they used the "Falcon" name and that they were really good cars. To illustrate that, the Falcon had a safety rating of 5 stars (the top rating) along with Mercedes, BMW, Volvo etc. When they tried to sell the Mustang here, motoring writers advised people DO NOT BUY IT. They had a safety rating of 2 stars and were (are) considered rubbish. Maybe we were spoiled by the Falcon but there is still no other car on the market quite like it. KIA has one that goes closest.
GM made and sold the Commodore here and to my mind, there was very little to choose between them. You guys nearly got to experience the superiority of these cars when GMH sent a couple of thousand of their sports version on a long wheel base to the US for use by police. The cops loved them for their get up and go, road holding and comfort. GM put Chev badges on them. The same car on a shorter wheel base was just becoming known when the GFC hit. GM revived the Pontiac GTO label for them but when the crunch of GFC hit, they discontinued Pontiac and that was the end of that. Ford Detroit sabotaged their own operation here by not allowing Ford Australia to make any LHD cars. Stupid, I know but that's a fact.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:14 PM   #28
KGBnut

Synchro,

Thanks for the update. Yes, I heard great things about those Falcons, and remember wishing they would come to the US.

Ken
Old 03-07-2021, 04:58 PM   #29
Kelly mt

Thought I'd post a couple of photos of the car in question. After sitting for 6 months it just fired right off. Have to wait for the ground to freeze again next week to get it out to the pavement to bring it home. The county road has 12 inch ruts in it and would swallow a tank right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210306_143148small.jpg (47.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20210306_143441small.jpg (34.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20210306_142959small.jpg (52.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 03-07-2021, 05:15 PM   #30
Synchro909

Quote:
Thought I'd post a couple of photos of the car in question. After sitting for 6 months it just fired right off. Have to wait for the ground to freeze again next week to get it out to the pavement to bring it home. The county road has 12 inch ruts in it and would swallow a tank right now.
Does a top come with it. If not, you might not easily find one. Sure, they are the same as a LHD car but from what I gather, tourers were not that common over there. They were by far the most common here - maybe something to do with the climate?
Old 03-07-2021, 05:24 PM   #31
ronn

car looks nice. you did well.

congrats!!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2021, 07:04 PM   #32
Kelly mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Does a top come with it. If not, you might not easily find one. Sure, they are the same as a LHD car but from what I gather, tourers were not that common over there. They were by far the most common here - maybe something to do with the climate?

Yes, it has the top, bows and side curtains all in great shape. He is also throwing in two carbs, a spare wheel and four new tires and tubes. Cleaning out all his "A" stuff.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:12 PM   #33
Synchro909

Quote:
Yes, it has the top, bows and side curtains all in great shape. He is also throwing in two carbs, a spare wheel and four new tires and tubes. Cleaning out all his "A" stuff.
You are a winner on this one.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:32 AM   #34
Mike Peters

Yep. Great deal for sure. I hope you just drive it as is, and leave it as a RHD car. It will be fun.
Question: I know that on at least some, if not all, RHD Model T's , the spark and throttle levers are reversed. ie, spark on the right, and gas on the left. Is this true on RHD Model A's?
Old 03-08-2021, 11:35 AM   #35
katy

Good looking car.

When I was in Monterey Mexico in '64 there was a flock of Model A phaetons taxis that came out in the evenings, never in the daytime. Anyone know if they're still around?
Old 03-08-2021, 05:06 PM   #36
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
Yep. Great deal for sure. I hope you just drive it as is, and leave it as a RHD car. It will be fun.
Question: I know that on at least some, if not all, RHD Model T's , the spark and throttle levers are reversed. ie, spark on the right, and gas on the left. Is this true on RHD Model A's?
Ignition timing is on the left, throttle on the right.