Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
53_mercLuke

Default 1953 Mercury hood hinges

The hood hinges on my mercury where bent and broke when I got the car, tried to fix them but it's just not going. Im not running the heater so I really don't need the vents and don't want to spend $500 for a new pair so I'm curious, does anyone have any ideas of what other hinges would work if I make some plates to attach them to the body or fender? I was looking at 53 Ford truck hinges but not sure if they would work. Thanks for any help
53_mercLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:58 AM   #2
TJ

Default Re: 1953 Mercury hood hinges

There's a lot of geometry involved in hood hinges. The reason they are so expensive is they are vehicle specific. You might spend a lot of money on trying to find other hinges that will not work. To my knowledge the hinges from 52-54 should be the same. Try this guy; Cooley's 715-832-7163. I think he is in Wisconsin. He has some Mercs in his yard. He has one 1954 for sure. Watch e-Bay as they turn up there once in awhile. Those hoods were very heavy, so by now most of those hinges need to be rebuilt.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:24 AM   #3
oldskool

I don't think any other hinges will work except 52-54 ford/merc with that said I changed the hinges on a 54 merc,very hard to do without removing front fenders.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:23 PM   #4
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
I don't think any other hinges will work except 52-54 ford/merc with that said I changed the hinges on a 54 merc,very hard to do without removing front fenders.

Agree with oldschool....they can be changed without removing the fenders but it is not easy. And yes they are expensive even used.I recently had to replace my drivers side hinge. When you get a new set on the car keep them oiled up so they don't bind.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:51 PM   #5
paul2748

There is a guy that repairs these hinges. Name is listed on 1954 Club website. Probably just as expensive as getting a pair of used ones, but I hear he does a really nice job.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:21 PM   #6
RalphG

I did not realize Merc hinges had a weakness that way. I can consider myself lucky that mine on the 52 are still ok even after sitting 30+ years in the woods. I keep them well oiled. Really need a new hood though. Some careless driver backed into the front of the Merc back in the late sixties and put a dent in the left side, broke the headlight ring.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote