Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
Terry,NJ

Default 30 Town Sedan Front seat

I've seen many a thread, picture, write up about just about everything except restoring a TS front seat. No prints, progress photos, directions, dimensions dos and don'ts etc. When you're trying to recreate one of these, almost from scratch, you're flying blind. I have gotten pretty far with it but there's still some stuff I want to know. Go to my profile and see the pics I took and please, if you could, fill in the blank spaces. Thanks in advance!
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
Terry,NJ

Default Re: 30 Town Sedan Front seat

Also, how are the side plates, pieces secured the the bottom, wooden frame. They are large holes (about 7/16ths) and I think that it uses 1/4 screws. Not wood screws! I know, I know, I can use anything I please (and I may wind up doing just that) but I'm trying to keep it as much like original as possible. I'd like to know how Henry did it.
Terry
Old 08-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
Skibb

Terry, may I piggy back on your question. Same here: 1930 Briggs TS getting closer to having to Jo the front seat and all.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
Terry,NJ

Skibb, if you can ask some salient questions and get good answers, piggy back all you want! Hijack it if it works!
Just to bring everyone up to speed, I have a Type 3 moveable seat shown on pg A 214 in Snyder's 2013-2014 catalog. I have the wood mostly all done and can provide shapes and dimensions. I do need the piece that goes through the center of the back (Horizontal) and any other vertical braces or brackets to hold the backrest on. My "parts" were so water damaged that there is not much left to go by.
Yeah! Welcome aboard ! Terry
Old 08-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
1930artdeco

pm sent
Old 08-15-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
Terry,NJ

Skibb, Notice the dearth of information? Either there's no Briggs seats to be had or Ford Barners are just not that involved with the seats. I had an offer to buy one but it's not what I want after having the original 80 percent done. Even the sites of the restorers don't provide what I need.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibb View Post
Terry, may I piggy back on your question. Same here: 1930 Briggs TS getting closer to having to Jo the front seat and all.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
Ed in Maine

Hi Terry, I wish I could help you. I had a Town Sedan between 1964 and 1998. I sold it to finish a 1932 Model B after I retired. I do remember having to repair the right hand side of the seat base where the wood front cross piece was fitted to the side wood piece. I had just bought this car and took my Dad for a ride. He got into the front seat passenger side and to get himself comfortable, he leaned back hard to get his position adjusted. All of a sudden, he almost fell into the back seat when the spline between the two pieces of wood on the seat base shattered. The wood had dry rot and was cracked. I used oak about 7/8 to 1 in. thick and a band saw to cut the slot so the mating pieces would fit together with a splined joint. The long piece of wood across the front provided the center of the spline joint and the short side pieces provided the top and bottom portion of the splined joint. Sorry but I did not take any pictures all those years ago. Be careful when you drill the holes in the new side piece for the seat tracks that are screwed to the frame. The alignment has to be perfect so that the seat slides easily when you turn the seat adjustment knob in the center front. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #8
Skibb

Terry,

We're still doing metal work, priming and fitting. Final paint is some weeks away but then we'll have to find a seat. Maybe we can get the dimensions and have the upholster make up a seat out of foam. MikeV and one of our Club members have the same car for measurements. Wish I had the answer Terry.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #9
Terry,NJ

Hi Ed and Skibb! I read your story and yes, dry rot (and wet rot) are not inconsiderable problems. if you scan through my pictures in my profile (my 30 TS) you will see what I had to with. It was pretty bad! All due to rot! These were the two seat bases. They can be purchased for about $200-250. I have plenty of Ash from a tree I cut down and milled and it was just a question of getting the dimensions and making the cuts etc. For the mortise and tenon joints, I went to a local cabinetmaker and had him do it on the bottom piece. I found that with care, I could do it myself to the top piece, on my table saw. Next I had to make the uprights on the seat Assy. These are lefts and rights. The top wood was just a little dried out so I treated it with linseed oil. However, you must first find out which seat type you have. There are four, according to Snyder's. Mine is the #3 movable seat (pg A 214). I think they all use the same spring cushion. What I need are the dimensions and layout of the horizontal "rail" and any vertical brackets. I have holes in my steel backing sheet, just below the bend, and this cries out for a rail of some sort, plus, what secures the backrest?
Terry
Old 08-17-2014, 11:19 PM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibb View Post
Terry,

We're still doing metal work, priming and fitting. Final paint is some weeks away but then we'll have to find a seat. Maybe we can get the dimensions and have the upholster make up a seat out of foam. MikeV and one of our Club members have the same car for measurements. Wish I had the answer Terry.
Mines put away for the summer at a friends as I work with my son on his. I can't get to it to get any details, sorry.

I looked at his pictures and can't see what he is missing from the front seat wood.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 08-18-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:41 PM   #11
J Franklin

I may be confused but I see nothing in your photos that look much different from my front seat I guess I don't know what you think there should be. The assembly is fastened by machine screws to a base/track that incorporates the adjuster. I thought you were referencing the part you already have.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:31 AM   #12
Terry,NJ

I'm a little confused too! You have to bear in mind that when I got the car, some wood was so disintegrated from rot that some pieces were missing altogether. There seems to be a dearth of information, pictures, and drawings relating to seats and their construction. So it's hard make parts from something I don't have. As far as I know, no replacement wood is available except the seat bases, which are not the problem.
The pieces in question Run horizontally across the steel seat back at the bend. There are several holes for screws (Wood ?) This piece would provide a rail for the back spring to rest on. Also, I'm assuming there are vertical braces that would secure the spring to the seat. Also, I was looking the spring over yesterday and I discovered two tabs about 1 1/2" long, with holes, that must get screwed to something. Anyhow, It's difficult asking these questions when there is so little information available. I called Snyder's and they don't know either. Thanks for trying though!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
I may be confused but I see nothing in your photos that look much different from my front seat I guess I don't know what you think there should be. The assembly is fastened by machine screws to a base/track that incorporates the adjuster. I thought you were referencing the part you already have.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #13
J Franklin

There are some drawings in the Snyders catalog Pg. A-222 showing the different types of frame, seat springs used that might help some.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #14
MAG

Terry, this not much but perhaps it will provide a little help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front Seat Frame.jpg (47.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Front Seat 4.jpg (46.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #15
Terry,NJ

Beat me with a wet noodle! Since these are the first seats I've ever done, I'm learning as I go along. Like the bottom cushion is removable, and the back cushion is not! Small difference, so what's the big deal? Well, If the back cushion is not removable, how's any going to get a look at the frame work underneath? I need the advice of someone who's had a front seat assy apart and knows just what's under there. This afternoon I called LeBaron Bonney, but their tech. support guy has Monday off. I'll call again tomorrow. I will share whatever I get from them.
Terry
Old 08-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #16
Terry,NJ

That appears to be the one! But, What's the white stuff (looks like a cotton sheet or muslin) It's not quite what I had in mind, but it's close. Especially the three vertical pieces.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG View Post
Terry, this not much but perhaps it will provide a little help
Old 08-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #17
MAG

The "white stuff" is the sheet metal panel that is on the back side of the seat frame. Had some gray epoxy primer mixed up and used it to paint the panel. Didn't want to waste it.